Those other fish!

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

I have been going through some of my pictures and thought I would post some pictures of some of the other fish we catch while fishing for cats. I only fish for catfish but once in a while we are bothered by some other species.

The picture below is a picture of a local tournament walleye fisherman (Ron) who came out with me to catch a “real” fish and this was his first fish of the day. Take a close look at the mouth of the fish, it still has the head of a goldeye in it, thats what we were using for bait. Ron sure got exited when I wacked this fish with the net and told him that these junk fish do not count and we don’t want that fish in “my” boat.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Now we’re talking!! Nice fish.

Gator Hunter

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

One more picture picked out for greenfinhunter, this fish picked up a nice piece of cutbait (sucker) laying on the bottom with a 5/0 hook in it

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was going to make a post on the Red River board….but I must have clicked on the wrong forum…sorry guys!

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

OK OK I will try not to post pictures of such ugly fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There’s a hog! When I first looked at it (looking at the skin) I thought it was a smallie! (I need to get back on the water)

22lbs?

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Briank, The lighting was just right to get that color, but it is not a hog it’s a “sheep”

Baa Baa

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Hey ICss,
    I was going to ask you why the wallnot guys all have such small hands? But I guess I know the answer.
    See Ya,
    Bowfin
    P.S. In case anyone needs to know.
    1. You are NOT a catfisherman if you just by happenstance hook into a Flathead trolling backword for wallnots (or forward for that matter).
    2. And yes, rumor has it that some guys down south can and do catch Flatheads/Channels with cranks and they do it often. But that ain’t you!
    3. You are also not in the club if you go “Flatheaden” one night a year, in August and while your on shore get to drunk to find your car key’s to drive home.
    4. And last but not least, Your not a real Catmen If you tell the wife your going “Flatin at the Croix” And then throw/troll cranks to the lift bridge and anchor so you can get the “premo” spot to party with the young’uns.
    It takes more to be a Catman. And very often you need to use more then 6 pound test line.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jez Bowfinhunter, sure popped my bubble.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

It’s OK Briank, Bowfin gets that way whenever he see’s pictures of those greenfish. He just can’t understand why any fisherman would prefer them to catfish. He grew up right, knowing only how to catch catfish and has never jumped on the band wagon to go chase walleyes. He is constantly ridiculed about his love for catfish and his hate for those green fish by people who target walleyes. They think he is the one off his rocker when actually they just have not seen the snag, or I mean light, yet. So Briank don’t feel bad, most of us that live in waldo country have wasted a lot of time chasing those ugly fish.
    I just don’t waste time on the water anymore.

Man, I never thought I would come to Bowfin’s defense

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks ICBC’s! I’ll be able to sleep tonight!

After I reread his post, I’m happy to say I don’t fit into his descriptions…close though. Not counting the time DirkW broke me into night catfishing, I went out 3 times in Sept. and didn’t have any beer, park by anyother boats (by Hudson or anyother place) troll for cats (although I landed an nice #9 channel with a spinner and minnow). Generally, after a night of catfishing, I don’t have to tell my wife where I’ve been..especially if I don’t wash the cut bait of my hands. I admit it, I’m not there yet…still a Catfisherman wanna be…

But….

I think “we” need to change BFH’s outlook on what it takes to “be” a true catfisherman.

You might be a true catfisherman if…..

You walk out of Fleet Farm with your new landing net and it won’t fit through the back passanger door of your truck because the hoop’s too big.

you can go to two or more of your rods and strip of line that can be used to tie your boat up with.

Your wife points out cut bait parts on your pillow the following day.

Your tackle box consists of 3 sizes of circle hooks, 3 or 4 sizes of no roll sinkers, barrel swivels and a scissors.

Lastly, You might be a true catfisherman if…..
    You know the size of the state record cat, but haven’t a clue for the other species of “bait”.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Briank, I think you may have something there.

You may be a true catfisherman if….

You get your dipbait mixed up with your cheese while eating crackers and you realize that stuff aint that bad

To try out your new rod, you tie your line to your buddy’s pickup and tell him “give er hell”.

You take a look into your bucket (tackle box) and realize the smallest hook you own is a 5/0.

You may be a true catfisherman if……

You consider that any fish that has scales is just bait.

You may be a true catfisherman if…..

You realize that your weight box weighs more than you do.

You log into a website using the name “bowfinhunter”, “cattin_addict” or “idreamofcats”.

Bowfinhunter

Hey Dennis,
    It’s Valentine’s day and boy am I feeling the Love…
    This board is getting warm and fuzzy.
    I guess I also will submit to the St. Valentines day armistice.

Briank
    Even if you are a tyro at least you are willing to accept others. (Dennis’s defence of me was correct I take a lot of unjust dookie from Jacks around here)
    Good luck and and do something for yourself this summer,
    Go see Dennis this summer with your wife from all I have heard you will have a great time. (I have never meet him)
    You will learn alot.
    Bowfin

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ok, so all the things I’ve heard about BFH are wrong? There is a tender spot in there someplace (at least for a day)!

Since I don’t live in Tyro, KS, I have to assume when you say

Quote:

Even if you are a tyro at least you are willing to accept others.

you’re speaking of “a person imperfectly acquainted with a subject”, which would fit me to a T or C – in this forum.
    Which is the reason I’m down here…to pick up the tips that you folks take for granted.

I’m planning on meeting Mr ICBC’s early this year, possible with a friend that I’ve met on this site. Then agian later in the year with my wife. (She doesn’t like night fishing and I’m afraid once one of those piggies gets close to the boat, I’ll forget about her. That’s where the guide comes in…to make sure she stays in the boat or get her back in the boat, wilst I land her fish…)

Bowfinhunter, what water do you fish when you’re not on the Red?

One last – You might be a true catfisherman if….

you’ve met ICBC’s at least once! Sorry BFH, valentines day is over!

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Thats about enough with the compliments, I come to this forum to jab and get jabbed, all in fun of coarse. I hope you are OK Bowfin, that was a picture of me holding 13 1/2 lbs of cutbait a couple pictures back…. no comments???

Hope you feel better soon

Bowfinhunter

Hey chums
    The Armistice is over let the games begin. (Yipeeeee)
    Snauggerking,
    If I made a post everytime I see you post a picture of yourself holding a Wallnot’er I would have as many posts as Bill Cadwell.
    You sure have a lot of pictures of your self with them things.(fish?)
    And yes you can tell me you catch Wallnots eating cutbait.
    But, what ever, I mean you did become a “Dean Head ” did’nt you?
    Come on admit it. I’ve seen you tie dyeing your shirts and you got your VW micro bus rolling again. And you have always had that 70’s look with the polyester shirt unbuttoned to show off your freshly Rogained chest and large gold hub cap sized necklass.
    I guess all I can say is “Peace man.”

BrianK,
    When I worked in Stillwater I never fished the Croix,
    and now that I work in the north metro I like to fish the St. Croix. And the Mississippi, ( The Rum also around Anoka after work) I also plan on getting to the Minnesota more this year.
    If all goes according to plan (and does it ever?) I will be back in your neck of the woods by the late Fall.
    But we shall see.
    See ya,
    Bowfin

Bowfinhunter

Sorry BrianK
    It took so long to reply to “I like to catch small snauggers” last post that I almost forgot to give you a little spank down.
    Hey when you meet snaugger don’t forget your fishin music,
    I think Snaugger will like Englebert Humperdink Greatist hits Vol. I, II, III.
    I know you kind of like to listen to Tom Jones “Rocks the Post Menopausal” but you have to share the 8 track in his micro bus.
    You can also bring your Guitar, but beware if snaugger breaks out his Banjo.
    See Ya Bowfin

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

BFH, I know the feeling. Back in my early learning years, I would drive from Brooklyn Park to Riverfalls just to get an hour of trout fishing in. Now that I live less than 20 minutes away, I’ve been there twice in the last 11 years. The fish are always better the farther you get from home. I think it’s the drive (anticipation) to and the drive (memories) back.

ICBC, yes, it’s all in fun here. BUT, I won’t rest until I’ve earned my barbuels from BFH. My goal is to have BFH acknowledge me as Briank – Catfisherman. It may take all of this year and some of the next, but I’m up to the challange. (I started mixing the stink bait in with the cheese yesterday…not bad and the side benefit is that the rela-tics won’t come in the house. We went to the Catfish Bar to eat.)

You have taken me all wrong BFH. Posting doesn’t show ones true personality. Never really cared for Tom Jones….I’m truely a “Meatloaf” kinda guy. ICBC…you have a banjo? Bump’en!

Once I get a few wide mouths (no ICBC, not Schmit Wide Mouths) under my belt, we’ll have to hook up on the Croix. I know in fishing, talk is cheap, but I’ve been lucky enough to talk with some folks that don’t fish any more and they clued me in on some good spots…but we’ll see. Either way, by fall when you’re working in this area, my nose should be fairly up to speed to sniff out them whiskered fish.

If not, I’ll get some raps and….

Bowfinhunter

Briank,
    In your last post you said your “gonna get some raps” I’m guessing you mean “Hip-Hop” Music?
    I guess your right you really can’t judge a person by his posts. I did not know you were down with “N.W.A.” Or “Outkast”. Or are you old school and enjoy the musical stylings of “Snoop Doggy Dogg” And “Ice T”.
    But now that I think of it I would guess by the look of you your down with Vannilla Ice. Oh well like I tell my kids everybodys different. I guess it’s better to be a Rap fan then a wallnoter fan. (But it is kind of the same)
    See ya
    Bowfin

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

I did not know you were down with “N.W.A.”

NINE-POUND WALLEYE ASSOCIATION—-How could you not be down with that????

Gator Hunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

If I have to listen to Vanilla Ice and the likes to be a Catfisherman….I’m going to chase bluegills!

Last year I landed about a 4 lbs channel cat. I could have swore that when I released her, she was croaking a country western tune. It sounded like Toby Keith’s “I love this bar.”

ICBC’s, sent you a PM last night. Please disregard if “the barn” only has Kid Rock piped into it.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Man, I was just starting to like Kid Rock. I promise not to play bowfin’s albums when you are here.

Glad to see you are feeling better Bowfin, and thanks Briank for taking some of the heat off of me.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

that picture is priceless !!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t go back and look, but the young lady pictured looks like the same girl from another post. Is she your daughter?

Although fishing isn’t everything in raising a child, it sure helps to round them out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was tricked! I was told this was a green catfish! Now I find out…it was just bait!

Bowfinhunter

Hey Lads,
    Crater – ” 9 pound wallnot [Ooops, did I just say that out loud?!]. “I did’nt think carp bait came in that size. But at least your on the right track now and fishing for a fish that fights.

Snauggerking, To Brink; I promice not to play bowfins “ALBUMS” when you come up here.
    Hey dude they don’t make “albums” anymore,
    And I was just asking Brink what a “rap” was. I thought He and Crater would be gettin “jiggy wit it” being wallnot guys is’nt that what them wallnot guy’s do with raps?
    ( What is a rap then anyhow? )

And Brink in answer to your question ” does my product review in the gear forum get me any closer to being a true catfisherman” – um No!
    see ya,
    Bowfin

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

SOOOOOORY! Bowfin, Albums? what I really meant was your tapes…….. you know those 8-track tapes you sent here with CA
    What’s this about not knowing what a “rap” is and you call yourself a catfishermam You know… it is when you are out catt’n late and your buddy falls asleep and you “rap” him in the forehead with one of your 3 oz weights tied onto your extra pole. Right, buddy

Brain, your post on the product review forum does not make you a true catfisherman…. it does show me though, you came to the right forum here. Yes, that is my daughter (I think)

Here she is with a “real” fish … just a small one

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Here she is with a “real” fish … just a small one

She must be hiding the “real” fish behind that ugly catfish. LOL

Gator Hunter

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

No, it’s in its tummy…….. bait you know!

Here is a picture of my son a few years back when he asked me if there were any sharks in this river

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.