Red River of the North Fishing & Ramp Conditions

• backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Upper Red River of the North
    (USA)

Most of the boat ramps on the upper Red are difficult if not impossible to use at this time. Large sections of the upper US section of the Red River of the North is only fit to be run with a specialized boat such as a River Pro jet drive. Conditions are lower then we have seen them since the late 70’s early 80’s.

At present I can wade across some areas below the dams on the Red starting at the headwaters of the Red at Wahpeton ND, to as far down the Red as Fargo ND. Not a good time for large V-hulls to wonder the upper Red River, unless you’re very adventurous.

Fishing is fair to good in some areas, great in others. Shore casting is producing for those who are not adventurous enough to run skinny river water. Shallow running crankbaits, like Bomber Long A’s and Smithwicks in greens and blacks with light bellies, are my best overall produces for walleye. Jigs rigged with bulky scented plastics are also productive for walleye and you pick up more SM bass while in the hunt. The walleye and SM bass fishing has picked up dramatically in recent days and nights. I anticipate it should get even better soon.

Enjoy the fall and remember, don’t put them boats away just yet,. The best is yet to come folks!

Yup-Yup…It’s Piggy Time!

Ed “Backwater Eddy” Carlson

Backwater Guiding
    Backwater Guiding “ED on the RED”
    701-281-2300
    ><,sUMo,>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red River of the North
    (Canada)

Low water levels have also taken it’s toll on access on the Canadian end of the Red river of the North.

Stu and Diana’s new boat ramp at “Cats on the Red” is by far the best on the Lower Red River of the North (Canada), especially this fall. The Selkirk Park ramps are a mess due to low water and a general need for “real maintenance”. The 2″ rock dumped in may be a short-term fix for smaller lighter rigs, larger rigs should be extra cautious yet.

As of today the ramp at “Cats on the Red” is very usable and in great shape. The only reason it may become difficult is if we see renewed heavy South winds and the river gets drawn down even further. (The Lake Winnipeg wind tidal effect on the last 30 miles of the Red River of the North may influence the levels up to 5 feet +/- in a single 24-hour period).

Some nice Greenbacks have begun to show already, no big numbers of fish just yet, but some nice fish. With a shot of rain and cooler North winds we may see a more substantial inward migration of walleye from the big lake developing soon. The forage base is high in the lower Red River of the North this season, so once the walleye do move in, it should be great.

I highly recommend you contact Stu and Diana McKay prior to a trip to get the most recent river conditions and reports on the fall walleye bite.

“Cats on the Red”
    Stu & Diana McKay
    Tel: (204) 757-9876
    [email protected]
    Cats on the Red

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Good job Ed, I too would highly recommend, to anyone who is going north this year to try to catch some of those large ugly green fish (walleyes), to contact Stu and use his ramp at Cats on the Red Resort. I would also say to check with him about a room, but not to get your hopes up as he is more than likely full through the fall.

But Ed, what about the cats? Fishing for catfish this past week has been great. We are not only getting numbers of eaters, we are also some great picture fish as well. The water warmed up fast, with the warm weather last weekend and also the beginning of the week, has sent the catfish into a feeding frenzy on this part of the Red River. Unfortunatly this bite will not last forever, as the Kitty’s do slow with the falling water temperature. Normally we do have a good bite until the water temp takes a significant drop. We do get some cats right up until freeze-up though.

I do feel lucky to have a RiverPro as with the low water conditions there is no prop driven boat that can manuver the river right now in this area. The fish below was about 16 lbs and came out of less than 2 feet of water on Tue night. It must have cleared the water by about another 2 feet when hooked. Boy these “sailcats” are fun!

Dennis

backwater eddy

Ya rub it in, that River Pro can run on a heavy morning dew. With luck I will be right behind ya soon.

The bite is good, if you can get to the fish. For an interesting run, try the section North and South of Ft. Aber, very cool water for sure. With your rig it is a very doable deal, but not for a prop rig any time soon.

I have been flip’n jigs with Kermit’s and cuts for cats, that’s a Hoot Eh! You get lots of “Fat Air Kitty’s” that way. Set the hook, and SPLOOSH…….piggys with wings. Gota love it!

Have you been seeing many of them other green critters lately up your way?

Catch ya soon…………..>

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

No Ed,

I haven’t seen any walleyes since they were all belly up a couple of weeks ago. But you have to know, that I do not ever try to catch them. The only green fish I catch are the ones that are hungry enough to eat a hunk of cutbait on a 5/0 hook laying on the bottom of the river. I do expect to be “bothered” by a few shortly though.

Here is a better picture of one we got a few weeks ago.

Dennis

backwater eddy

Well they all didn’t Belly-up in that section. I C&R 3 over 29″ in the past 2 days, one was 31 3/4. But ya, many big walleye did bite the dust in that section due to that kill in August…sad.

What you mentioned to me about the probable causes of the fish kill a while back, I agree with you on it’s probable cause. I get the feeling others do too hey. But for some ODD reason they are not or can not do anything about it. Just try a few calls once and see what kinda response you get from them…NADA…nobody wants to talk about it at all. Funny deal Eh? Yup..what kill?

Have you had a opportunity to try that section just to the South of me on the Red yet(Ft. Aber)? Very cool, you will did that area, gobs of very cool structure of all kinds. Your rig is the only one that will get there too right now. Some hungry > SB Bass to play with in that area and to points just to the South. They think they are little Piggy’s by the way they fight. Sure put up a better fight then them funny looking green fish Eh.

If your up to go hunt them some time I would be game to tag along. Been a while since we had a chance to fish together, it would be cool.

Jason S. got his wings wet running a River Pro Hi-Pro a while back, guess who wants to sell his new Lund now and get one. I knew it!

Take care,

Ed

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Sounds fun Ed,
    Hopefully we will get the chance to do that this fall. Right now, I have the RiverPro parked (on the river) at home and I want it here for awhile. But I can run the 20 miles back to the ramp and get it out of the water in about an hour if the opportunity arrises. I have to take it somewhat easy with the low water as there are a few places I have to put it in 4 wheel drive to go over some logs and things. There is no rig like it for the conditions we have now on the Red.
    With this low water, the walleyes should be easy pickins this fall. You should be able to get a bunch of big fish. I will stick to chasing the kitty’s and leave those green ones for you.
    Dennis

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

The smiles on these kids faces are priceless Great pic Dennis

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Thanks Steve,
    The kids are actually my kids. They caught that fish fishing off of my pontoon parked at home. My daughter never seems to get enough fishing, she has that smile with every fish she catches. I do have to spend more time fishing with them.
    Kids and catfish, you just can’t go wrong with that combination!
    Dennis

backwater eddy

That is a great photo Dennis! That little gal of yours is a natural born cat’r if I ever seen one Eh. What a smile, I love it.

The walleye action has been hit and miss for me recently. I honestly have not dedicated all that much time to eyes yet, I will soon.

The “word” is the greenbacks are in the Marsh up yonder. The bigger eyes are in shallow and the numbers are increasing as the temps drop. Most of the action is out near the end of main or deeper in the bush.

I am still catching plenty of hungry Kitty’s on frogs, mostly on jigs and frogs now. Shallow mud bars have been th e best for me. They appear to like a bit of sun on their backs right now.

In about a week I will be hitting the walleye much harder. I expect it to roll about then in our area, hope so anyway.

Doing beet harvest at nights now so I am on long hours and short naps. I will be ready to go fishing for sure in a week. I might be able to handle verticle jigging too then, and a nap.

Take care, Thanks for sharing the photo of your kids, that is great.

Ed

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Hey Dennis,
    Your daughter and mine could be twins…….. Looking at your bio……. it says here you are also a mail man…ummmm. I ummmmmmm……..I think ummmmmmmm…..
    You did’nt work in North St. Paul about 6 years ago did you?

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Sorry for the slow response! No Bow, I have never carried mail in that area. I do go to Minneapolis once a year for some Union training though. Those weeks can get a little wild. Your wife isn’t a cute little blonde who was attending medical school, is she? .

Or maybe I should be asking if you were (fishing) in the Fargo area about 6 years ago? I do spend a little time in the boat and have always wondered a bit how that happened when I am home so little.

We will have to get together and try to solve this mystery.

Dennis

Bowfinhunter

Hi Dennis
    All is well. My wife was not blonde (then), and she was not in medical school then, also back then she was only 20 years old. And I don’t think you got that much game.
    And six years ago I was not in Fargo, I was peeing my pants with worry of the arrival of the first little bowfin.
    (I have sence quit peeing myself but the worry is still there I just have better bladder control now.)
    So now I just have to track down that Schwan’s milk man.
    See ya,
    Bowfinhunter

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Hi Bowfin,
    Glad we got that all staitened out. I have been wondering though if your daughter looks a little like Sean. My daughter seems to resemble him a bit and although I did not know him 6 years ago, he may have been coming to Fargo and some of those (fishing trips) .

Hope all is well in the cities!

Dennis

Bowfinhunter

Hey Dennis,
    No fear there, if you know what I mean…

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Friends are suppose to “help” each other out rite? just thought i was doing the friendly thing

Cattin_Addict

Ps. Dennis, you will have think about a trip down this way for next summer, from all the talk around here sounds like the asian carp will be here then and in good numbers . I realize they are not the beautiful cats of north, but as you know, i dont fish to eat, i fish for the fun and sport of it, almost all catch and release and I personally love the feel of thunder on the end of my line and these sound like they will be a blast to catch unlike those ugly little green fish. Then again I dont use ultra light rods and 6lb test, I guess if i did i would be scard too
    Are you having the same trouble up there as here? I have been out cattin, cut bait on the bottom as usual, and keep thinking that a twig has tangled in my line cause i feel a little drag then reel in to clear it and again and again those green fish are on my line guess ill have quit fishing there till spring, shore is getting very littered with them and starting to stink. guess i should just get out there with my bow and do some clean up of the remainders that are still in the water

Cattin_Addict

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Well bowfin, i know your on a busy schedule and not sure if you have been out fishing latley at the dam. I didnt mean to scare you away telling you about the stink down there. the cold weather has really helped with that aspect. I was there yesterday for a litle bit and saw the darnest thing. I was watching a racoon walking the shore looking for food and it found one of those ugly green fish i tossed there and i thought cool, its not going to be a total waste rite….but, after it inspected it and took a nibble, it made a funny face and turned its nose up in the air and walked away still looking for something decent to eat. I have a new level of respect for them now

Cattin_Addict

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Hi C-A
    You bet I would love to try to catch some of those monster carp sometime.
    The Red here has started to freeze up and I have not been out in a couple of weeks. We did have that same problem as you also with those ugly green fish but once in a while we would also luck out and catch an eelpout.
    It looks as if the Red will freeze near record low levels. That could change in a hurry if we ever get any moisture. Even so I am sure the cats will make it till next spring and I have started my repairs on my reels so they are ready when the river breaks up and we are fishing the open water once again.
    I never knew racoons where so smart!

Bowfinhunter

C-A,
    I have not been fishing for way to long now.. I am just waiting for ice now…
    Hey Dennis, any ice up there yet.. I heard that you guys have (or had) ice up there is it true?
    May be over x-mas vacation C/A and I can get up there for some ice fishing.
    See ya,
    Bowfinhunter

If I can choose my God I’ll take Dionysus!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.