Will the Red dry up?

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

The Red has now reached its lowest level that I have seen since the mid 80’s. With little to no rainfall and temperatures into the 90’s it has taken its toll on the water of the Red River.

Prop driven boats should stay above the dams in the Fargo area as below the dams there are areas of the river with less than a foot of water. But what an opportunity! Now is the time to travel to the areas that you fish and take a look at what holds the fish there when there is water. I will be taking a lot of pictures of areas that I fish.

I have had no problems getting around with my RiverPro, take a look at the picture below, that is me going through an area with less than 6 inches of water.

The good news is that the fishing has been good. The water temperature is still in the 80’s and the fish are biting. Big fish are coming everyday and numbers of eaters are still good. It is amazing at how shallow these fish are. Lots of fish in less than a foot of water.

Dennis

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Uf-Da…kinda skinny water up your way Dennis. Man that is where them River Pro’s really shine Eh. They Boot Scoot through the skinny stuff where others would stick like glue or “knock-a-knock” to a cringing halt.

Fishing is great, if ya can get there.

A 32″ eye was pulled from the puddle below the North Dam on Sunday, some sauger too. Looks like the shiners left the dam now so I suspect them funny looking green fish went with them.

Dennis this Sunday we are getting together on the Red above the Mid-Town Dam. If your free pop in and say Howdy. A few boyz with Pro’s will be over hunting Kitty’s and hanging out for the weekend. You can meet some flathead guys from over to the East, some you may not already know?

In the morning we will be “Stomp’n up Frogs” then fishing the afternoon and evening. Drop in if you can.

[image]http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com/resource/get_file.html?mid=188[/image]

You can read up on the details about the “BWE B-Day FROG STOMP” at this link.

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com/?id=24&page=Frog%20Stomp%202003

Ed

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Sounds fun Ed, but I will be up in Lockport catching the Sumo’s. Is one of those guys named Oppie?

Dennis

backwater eddy

I don’t think Oppie is coming, but ya never know?

Dennis Steel is headed this way, he got a Hi-Pro from Kevin this spring too. He guides in the Metro area on the Minnesota and the other flathead waters near there. He is a good guy, you would like him I think. Some other guys from that area will be headed this way too, not sure who all just yet?

Sounds like the ramps are a bit better up North now, that will help. Only one of the ramps are open at the Selkirk Park. The “Cats on the Red” ramp is open. Stu & Canuck are headed out this morning to look about.

Wish I was headed up there too! Soon I think, them eyes and cats just may be feeding in the same water soon by the sound of it. Lots of food in the river, shiners galore, COOL!

Good hunting…..catch a sumo, or two, for me!

backwater eddy

Slow to post this but the “Frog Stomp” went well. We caught a variety of what the Red has to offer, from SM Bass to walleye and plenty of Kitty’s too. It was a hoot, wish you could have made it Dennis.

Dennis Steele had his River Pro 1872 here so Rick, Kevin, Dennis, and myself ventured to points South on the Red, near Ft. Abercrombie. That section was and is yet about 1-2′ on average with lots of skinny-skinny water and a maze of stump thumppers and rock. The River Pro slipped on through the worst of it without any worries. VERY COOL rigs them River Pro’s……Yup-Yup-Yup!

That Saturday MN DNR had a smaller shallow draft prop rig out doing a sweep. They didn’t make it 1/2 mile up or down from the new Abber ramp without turning back. I am certain the CO from the upper Red is going to be lobbying for his own River Pro, like they use up our way. The DNR really love theirs for patrol work. Far cheaper on repair bills too I hear.

The Red is about as low as I remember ever seeing it now. We need rain. Lets hope the weather man is correct and it is on it’s way this week!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.