Red River Flooding

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Just a heads up to anyone that may be heading to the Red River, it is flooding. After a week of heavy rain the Red River went from being low, to out of its bank. The River in the Fargo area is to the point where the fishing becomes real tough. With all the flooded vegetation the fish are really spread out. I would suggest postponing any trips this way until the river drops back within its bank. Or do what I am going to do, go farther north up to Lockport, Manitoba. Although the river will be high up there also, it will be well within its bank.
    Dennis

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Mixed blessings for sure. Lots of water, too much in the Central and Headwaters Region for sure. Yet this does present opportunities in other regions like Dennis said.

The big cat bite to the North is very good. We just may see some cats in the 40’s pop up? In the past big Wash’s like this have produced SUMO Monsters in this same time frame? Yup..Yup..It could happen?

Locally I am targeting cats on the flooded flats. Some grassy flats will hold large numbers of cats while others may be mostly carp and whatever. It takes some leg-work to zero in on them, but it can be done.

Yup, them Kitty’s will be on the feed-bag, just where is the big question?

Good Fish’n!

Ed “Backwater Eddy” Carlson

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Yes Ed, the cats are definitely up in the grass and feeding on worms. The problem is there is so many areas and the fish are so spread out at the current level that fishing is tough at best, but not impossible.

The good news is that the river is now falling in our area and should become more fishable everyday as long as we do not get any more rain. This will be a positive once the river returns to its bank as the fishing should be moving into the summer bite and we will have new fish as they do move during high water.

I did go to Lockport over the weekend and as always had a blast catching fish ranging in size from 10-25 lbs. With rising water up there the fishing should remain good for at least a week or two.

Dennis

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

The Red is back within its bank! The catfish are moving into their summer bite. NOW is the time to come. The cats are feeding as the water temperature was at 83 today.

But before you come make sure and call to see if the accesses are useable. When we have a fast falling river like we have had the last few days our accesses become all mudded in. The accesses in the Fargo area are that way right now. I hope the Parks dept. takes care of that tomorrow.

Dennis

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.