Still Chomping!

• stumckay

I’ve been hitting the Red hard over the past couple of weeks and the results are very impressive! We haven’t been catching high numbers of ‘eyes, but we have been catching a lot of “big” fish!
    Three of us fished this morning for approximately four hours. We started shortly after 8:00 am and called it at noon sharp. Total ‘eyes landed nine, the largest measuring 30 inches! There were two more “big” fish dropped during morning session, no big deal, it’s a daily occurance.
    During the past few days, the best actions has been between 8:30 to 9:30 and then it has picked-up during the early afternoon. Haven’t fished beyond 2:00 pm, but I have spoken to others that have and some real decent fish have been caught right up until sunset!

I’m not sure how long the current patterns will last, but I plan to take advantage while it does!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What kind of ice do you have Catmendo?? Also, what area of the Red?

The Red River….it’s not just for cat’s anymore!

stumckay

I guess I should have been a little descriptive as too where we are fishing, my fault! The area I’m reffering too is north of Lockport/Selkirk, in other words on the Canuck side of the 49th!
    The ice conditions are perfect, only about twelve inches. Another blessing this year is the river isn’t covered with deep snow, this makes getting around a lot easier.
    Walleye are being caught on a wide selection of jigs as well as lures, Chubby Darters have been very productive.
    The largest ‘eye thus far was caught (and released) last week, it measured 36 inches and weighed 16.5 pounds No doubt that’s a serious walleye, I’m waiting for someone to crack a twenty

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

36 inches…now we are talking cat’s or eye’s?!

Are you guys taking any pictures?

stumckay

Here’s some pictures.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Beauty Fish Catmendo

36″ now that be a pig!

stumckay

No doubt Ripper, 36″ is a piggy! This fishery has all the potential to produce something really exceptional, I would never rule out a twenty pounder.
    We started off slow today and only had two smaller ‘eyes and two goldeye after a three hour session. We decided two relocate about six miles south and are we glad we did, good call TC! In the course of four hours, we ended up icing sixteen ‘eyes, the largest was an honest eight!
    I invited a group of nine guys from Mn. to join us and although they never iced anything real big, they were catching their share! We left them around 4:00 pm so I don’t know how they ended up. We’re all planning to hit his area again in the morning and I’m feeling very otimistic!
    I’ll post tomorrow’s outcome, good or bad!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Those are some Piggies

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Now those are some great looking eye’s

stumckay

Todays action was not fast & furious, but it was productive for those that paid their due’s!
    Personally I stunk with little (two small ‘eyes) to show for the effort, however others faired much better including one of my longtime fishing bud’s Eso! The fish he’s holding was just a hair under twenty eight inches but it was still a trophy in his eyes!
    The boys from Mn. also faired well, today they managed two trophies, one at 9.1 pounds and the other at 8.5 pounds. They’re were also a number of ‘eyes from 1 1/2 to 7 pounds range caught by this group. For the record, every fish over twenty inches was safely released, including those trophies!
    we’re heading back to the same spot tomorrow morning, once again I’ll post the outcome!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s the photo I resized for you Catmendo…

What a pig!

How long do the big ones snap up there? I’m guessing they move back down (er up) to the lake in spring?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

WOW those are great eyes.

Brian, Bob and Rob,
    I could be talked into a ROAD TRIP.

Ron

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.