1000 lbs of catfish

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Yes, that is right. We caught and released over 1000 lbs of catfish while fishing up by Lockport, Manitoba yesterday. There were three of us fishing and we fished from 10 am till 8 pm for a total of 10 hours of “daytime” fishing. The night bite is usually a lot better. We caught a total of 62 fish ranging in size from 4 lbs to 25 lbs for a total weight of over 1012 lbs of catfish. Although these fish did not average as big as I am use to catching up there, we did catch only two that were under 10 lbs.

The Red is on the rise up there and they have pulled two sections of gates out of the dam. There is an extreme amount of water flowing through the river up there right now and I believe this is drawing the catfish up close to the dam. The catfish are surfacing all over as they try to make there way upsteam.

With the catfishing about as good as it gets, we were the only boat up close to the dam on Tuesday. I just do not understand why fisherman would rather chase those punny little walleyes than catch the monster catfish the Red River has to offer. Oh well, I guess that is just one more reason for some of us to go after them– NO crowds.

If any of you have a chance, go up to Lockport right now as it would be hard not to catch those big fish. For lodging information contact Stu @ Cats on the Red Resort. http://www.catsonthered.com

Good Luck, you won’t be disappointed!

Dennis

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

wow. that is great. I dont think i can make it up this year but still hoping to make it back to your neck of the woods a little later this month.

Cattin_Addict

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

“The catfish are surfacing all over as they try to make there way upsteam”.
    Do you think it would be a good time to take the dust off the
    10 wt. fly rod?

“I just do not understand why fisherman would rather chase those punny little walleyes than catch the monster catfish the Red River has to offer.”
    To keep StCroix/G.Loomis rods in business making ultra light rods. ( Yes you can use medium weight but why?)
    hehehehahaha
    Bowfinhunter

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

MMMM…Boy You make it hard to not go Dennis.

I don’t think I am going to fight the urge very long either.

My back is not quit healed up from the last trip yet..but maybe….I just need more piggys to pull things back into place?

YA..Thats IT!

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Anyone else catch any big Cats up on the Red this year?
    Bowfinhunter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.