How many days left?

• Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Before the cats slow down. My Boss cannot spare me or won’t give me vacation in August. So I would have have to come up on my days off. ( Or call in sick/mental health days ) And they are few and far between this month. I’m thinking of camping in town off 94. Or if cattin addict can get vacation and vow never to play rap music in the car again (at least as long as I’m trapped riding in there with him) I may come up with him. I think I need a mental health day or two. And if the season will only last another month I had better do it now.
    Thanks for any info on this matter.
    Bowfinhunter

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Catfishing on the Red River is heating up just as fast as the weather.

High and muddy water is the norm although the Red is on the slow fall at this time.

Over the past week we have found many cats out of the main channel and up on the flooded grass feeding on worms, bugs, and whatever.

As the water falls back into the banks again the cats will be moveing back to their more predictable channel and structure habits.

The next 30 to 60 days will produce the biggest cats of the season, they have been feeding well and are nice and chubby.

It’s piggy time on the Red. [image]http://catfish1.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-auth.cgi?file=/18/14295.jpg&type=image/jpeg[/image]

We-We-We!

——-

Backwater Eddy…Go Piggy!…>

“I would rather go fishing and think of God, then go to church and think of fishing.” Grandpa Art.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Don’t worry Bowfinhunter the catfishing lasts well into the Fall. It just gets a little more weather dependant. If we get a strong cold front and the water temperature drops fast the fishing will be slow. But if we have steady weather or a warm spell and the water temperature is steady or rising the fishing is usually good. I have had great fishing well into October. In fact, I have caught cats even into December.

If you are going to stay at the campground off of I-94 (Lindenwood Park), I would just fish that area of the river. It gets very little fishing pressure as it is between the South Dam and the Midtown Dam. The boat landing for that part of the river is just above the Midtown Dam close to downtown Fargo.

Good Luck!

Bowfinhunter

Hey thanks for the tips. It looks like I do not have to be in a hurry after all. Maybe I’ll wait until the bugs die in Sept.
    thanks again,
    Bowfinhunter

Bowfinhunter

My update,
    further proof that there is no God.
    Cattin Addict not only caught the biggest fish about 10 lbs.
    But was usually comfortable while I was wet and miserable, (due to know fault of my own) But that is a post for another time.
    We did catch a fair number of fish not nearly as many as we should have but there is only so much I can do, I had to untangle a lot of fire line from my mono (again due to no fault of my own) I do have to give thanks to icatchbigcats for giving cattin A. that great idea.
    But all in all after deity intervention to save my life at the boat ramp (again due to no fault of my own and a post for another time)
    tangled lines (thanks again to fireline and icatchbigcats and casting ability)
    fetching pop as I also reel in a fish, and losing any casting angles near the snags that would have put me into fish catching position, due to rods in the way (none mine) and bad (cheep) anchors that won’t hold.
    And the lack of use for that new invention of soap (scientifically unproven to work on feet so why bother… everyone knows only conditioned air blown directly on the BARE foot on a 4 hour ride home on a 90 plus day will clean them and make them smell better, don’t you think?)
    At least there was no rubbing my nose in rap music this time around.
    See my next posts on Etiquette and how to thank someone for risking his life to save your boat.

Bowfinhunter

I STILL LOVE THE RED RIVER OF THE NORTH.
    (and yes we are still friends)

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Fishing on the Red was fun.
    Bowfinhunter and myself did catch a fair number of fish as he said.
    Fireline and baitcast reels didn’t seem a good combination for me, as there were a fair number to tangles. I have since had all my reels filled back with Power Pro line, seems to work much better for me .
    I am feeling a like a victim here, is it my fault that because I was driving the boat, I had to fish out of the rear of the boat? Ill admit I did have somewhat better angels to fish the snags, but is that my fault ? I would assume if a rod is in your way while fishing, why not move it?!?!
    The boat landing mishap was very unforunate, and I do thank you for saving the boat from heading down stream. My shoe was wet and slipped off the break pedal and caused the truck to lurch back a little and when I slammed on the brake, caused the boat to shoot off the trailer. Bowfinhunter raced into the red and grabbed the rope and saved the day.
    How many rods have I saved of yours over the years on the mississippi ?
    Ill admit wet feet in tennis shoes for two days doesn’t promote the the nicest smelling feet. Next time ill be sure to bring a change hehehehe.
    Looking forward to heading back up there in September with ya, hope one of us finally getting a piggy.
    I would also suggest bringing a change of cloths this time so you don’t have to be “wet and miserable”. I am making a anchor this week what will rival even Dennis’s mighty anchor lol…
    You know Bowfin, for as much wimpering and sniveling and just plain crying about not ideal conditions, I would of thought you to be a walleye guy
    Ill be sure to bring a large box of tissues for ya next month

Cattin_addict

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Hey Cattin_addict & Bowfinhunter
    You sound like you had a wounderful trip to the Red River again. I am sorry that I did not get back to you with the directions to the landings but I was up at Lockport catching 20 pounder after 20 pounder. I actually got bored catching these monsters of the Red.

You did not mention the Mayfly hatch that we have going on right now, you did stay out until dark, didn’t you?

Let me know when you are up this way again and I will try to arrange my schedule so I can run into you guys as you must be a blast to fish with when you guys are together.

Good Cattin!

Dennis

Bowfinhunter

Grumpy middle aged men

Bowfinhunter

Bowfinhunter

I am going out and buying my St.Croix Avid ultra light next week.
    hehehehehehehehehehehehahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Bowfinhunter

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

even with the ultra light, im sure it will still feel like reeling in a wet paper bag

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Hey Dennis,

i was wondering where to get a mold to make sinkers like yours, I have looked at Cabelas and didnt see any. I have about 25 lbs of lead just waiting to be melted into sinkers

lmk,

Cattin_Addict

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Hey Cattin_addict,
    I bought it from Do-It. It is called a no-roll sinker. But you sure can use my mold next time you come up this way. We could pour that 25lbs in less than an hour.

Give me a call or e-mail me when you come up this way next time.

Dennis

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Dennis,

As luck would have it, my plans opened up this weekend and I have decided that i will come back up there and go camping & fish my my son. we will be staying @ the camp site off 94. If you get a chance call me on my cell ill have it on and maybe we can get together. Ill have that led with me in the off chance that you will be around.

Good Cattin

Cattin_Addict

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.