Walleyes eat anything!

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

I have a new way to catch big river walleyes. First you need a 7′ medium heavy rod with a Abu Garcia 6500 C-4 reel spooled with 30lb Fireline. Use a 3 ounce slip weight above a size 1 barrel swivel. From the swivel down to the hook use 20lb mono about 18″ long. Attach a 5/0 Kahle style hook with about a silver dollar chunk of cut sucker or cut goldeye. Cast out and just let it lay on the bottom above a snag or hole.

Fishing this way on 5-1-02, we boated two 26″ walleyes. We were actually fishing for cats when we caught these fish. My client for the day thought it was just a fluke when we caught the first one. After the second, he figured that it must be the way to catch these fish.

Who says walleyes are picky eaters!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Trout do too! Here’s the link to a post in the Small Stream Forum about a trout Steve Vick caught out of the Mississippi River on a hunk of fish guts…. looking for cats.

Steve Vick’s Trout

A bunch of different species, cats, walleye, PIKE seem real willing to pick up dead baits off the bottom early in the spring. Although most instances are isolated to a single catch here or there….

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

I actually catch quite a few walleyes fishing for catfish. I probably do catch more in the spring, but do catch them throughout the year. Last August, I had a client catch a 31″, 11lb walleye on a chunk of goldeye. Also had a guy catch a muskie reeling in his cutbait one day.

Today, a client caught a 10lb northern while we were fishing for bait (goldeye).

That’s what is great about fishing rivers, you just never know what the next fish might be!

Dennis

mstrctmn
    Omaha, NE/ Fort Worth, TX

Don’t forget bass. I’ve caught quite a few bass while fishing cutbait on the bottom. So much for those “sport” fish needing moving baits. haha

matt

katmann2
    twin cities

I was using cut mooneye below the ford dam in 97′ and caught about a dozen eyes. If I used worms I would catch mooneyes or maybe their were large shad I’m not sure,but, anyway the worms caught the mooneye I’d chunk then up and caught walleyes. Didn’t have tape messure but the scale had the largest at 8lb.

katmann2

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Fishing the Red River on May 13th, a client caught and released a 29 1/2 inch walleye fishing the same way as discribed above. I am telling you tournament fishermen this is the way to catch big walleyes.

When I get the pictures back I will try to send a picture of this fish in. It sure was a monster!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

LOOK AT THE HEAD ON THAT SUCKER !!!!

ec

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

There is 2 times on the river calendar that walleye tend to go for cut baits.

In my experience the much dreaded post spawn walleye doldrums on the Red & other rivers of the Red River basin will produce walleye on Goldeye and cut or dead suckers.

From a silver dollar sized chunk of Goldeye, to a whole head of a large Goldeye, walleye that are steeped in the post spawn blues find them an easy meal after the exhausting rigors of spawning run.

The second situation is during the heat of summer when many shiner species, including Goldeye, Mooneye, and golden shiners, spawn on the fast cool waters of dams. Spawning fish die off due to stress from the spawn or heat stress and hungry sumo walleye seeking a bit of relief from the summers heat are more then willing to utilize the forage live or dead. You may find the rare and elusive Red River muskie looking to also take advantage of this situation for the same reason. Most of the large Red River muskie is caught in this time frame off the dams. DNR & NDG&F creel surveys have reinforced this trend with hard data.

I think the lesson we can pick up from this is a predator and the often thought scavenger species often share like habits. Catfish predatate far more often then they will scavenge, if conditions allow them to do so. A catfish has a great sense of smell and hearing, but poor eyesight, not well suited for predatory behavior under dirty water conditions. The same holds true with walleye, if conditions divert them from there normal feeding habits, such as dirty water and low visibility, a walleye is just as eager to scavenge to fill it’s needs.

A very interesting topic guys.

ED Carlson

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Hey icatchbigwalleyes (hehehe)
    On May 13 why did you let him put that thing back or did you leave out the part where you boinked it in the head.
    Bowfinhunter

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Bowfinhunter,
    We would of kept that fish, but as you probably know walleyes dont make good bait. So we tossed it overboard and went back trying to catch suckers.
    Ha ha, I am just kidding all you walleye fisherman!

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Catfish can’t choke them down either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.