That perfect Cat Rod.

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

It is good to see that a few tackle companies are starting to take us catfishermen seriously. I have noticed that Shakespeare & Eagle Claw have joined a few other companies in coming out with fishing rods made for us catfishermen.

I know everybody has a different opinion on what would make a perfect catfish rod, so lets hear some of them.

What are the rods you now use and, if you could, what would you do to make them better for your fishing situation.

I have bought a dozen, you can’t buy just one, of the new Shakespeare Ugly Stick Big Cat rods for this year but before I have I even tried them out I took a hack-saw and chopped about 4 inches off the handle. I also will put reflector tape on the tip as the glow tips do not do much good once the glow wears out. Other than that I do like the rods.

So lets hear about what you do, or would do, to make that perfect catfishing rod. Catfishermen are a very inventive group!

mstrctmn
    Omaha, NE/ Fort Worth, TX

I have a Quantum Big Cat rod that I love. The only thing I would change would be making it lighter. I also have a Fenwick 6’6″ muskie type rod that I use for channels that is great. I’m able to zing a bait pretty good with this rod. I like a tip that gives a bit, but a solid mid section.

Matt

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

For three years I have been fishing with an Abu rod that came free with a reel purchase that a buddy made. It is a musky rod and works great for fishing channels. If I tie into a big flatty it almost buckles over on itself. So this year I picked up a 7 1/2 foot Quatum Big Cat. My cattin’ buddy picked one up last year and really loved it. Looks and feels high quality too. If anybody is looking for one I purchased mine at Fleet Farm for $35.00, which I think is a steal! Anyways, I can’t wait to break it in!

mstrctmn
    Omaha, NE/ Fort Worth, TX

That’s a great buy Mike! Enjoy the Big Cat rod. Feel the power!

Matt

mudcatkid
    On water

My main rod is a 7 1/2 ft Cortland. It seems to work great for bringin in big flatties.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.