Red squirrel war

• LabDaddy1

The tides have been in my favor lately. Dropped my sixth ginger chatterbox this morning in the side yard.

Broadside shot while munching on a walnut after coaxing him further up the tree with the “warning rattle”, which is pretty easy to do by mouth. The .22 short went in and didn’t exit, but *graphic detail* popped his left lung out of the entry hole.

My lab was eager to retrieve him, which I know is a big no-no for hunting dogs but what the hell; she’s having fun!

Hopefully this is 67 less walnuts stashed in my boat and shed this fall and a $500 deductible less in wiring damage to my truck. woot

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0934-scaled.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Should have gave him another year. Could have been a B&C class animal. jester

Red Eye

Curious why is retrieving a red squirrel a no-no for a hunting dog.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Man you should have put the graphic detail warning in the tittle. Now I am gonna have to live with that image etched in my brain of that poor little animal. rotflol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Curious why is retrieving a red squirrel a no-no for a hunting dog.

any squireel or rodent…….in the event its not completely dead for fear of it biting the dog in the mouth. its been known to stop dogs from retrieving other game its been trained to do!!!!!!1

JEREMY
    BP

Squirrel tacos?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

any squireel or rodent…….in the event its not completely dead for fear of it biting the dog in the mouth. its been known to stop dogs from retrieving other game its been trained to do!!!!!!1

Meh, my dog’s been bitten by several squirrels–he catches lives one occasionally. Well, they’re alive briefly. Hasn’t deterred him from retrieving one bit. rotflol

Your mileage may vary.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My red squirrels haven’t recovered from our epic war a few years back. For several years I went absolutely Neanderthal on them and their numbers never recovered. I only have to pop one once in a great while now. Same with Chipmunks. I actually miss seeing both and dont always shoot on-sight anymore.
    Both of my dogs have been bit by squirrels. My Pud just gets pissed and doubles down on death. But then again she will attack ground bees so she must like pain. My young Golden didnt care for it at all and gave up the fight the one time it happened. It was a gray squirrel she caught.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My Pud just gets pissed and doubles down on death.

Shake ’em harder. rotflol

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I too have paid deductibles due to red squirrels. Fortunately, free of those things at the moment. Gives me more time to work on other rodent populations.

duh queen

From about 20yds. It ain’t “gun control”, but I’m satisfied.

Attachments:
    1. One-eyed-squirrel-scaled.jpg

duh queen

Truth be told, he was squatting, eating a pine cone. I misjudged the distance and aimed at his boiler room. Had I planned a headshot, then indeed this would’ve been braggin’ worthy.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I have a never-ending open season on the little buggers on my property. I haven’t seen one since late June. More acorns for the deer! The gray squirrels seem to appreciate it too! Chipmunks are fine, so long as they stay out of my garage. Inside, I use rat traps. Haven’t had a survivor yet…

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Should have gave him another year. Could have been a B&C class animal. jester

He is a S&C class, spoon and crockpot, killing tomorrows trophies today

bullcans
    Northfield MN

“ginger chatterbox”

Now that is some funny stuff right there! rotflol rotflol rotflol

Never heard them called that before. That’s hilarious

TH

The bigger issue with dogs retrieving squirrels is that the dog can get a tapeworm. The squirrel flea is the intermediate host. The dog swallows a flea when carrying the squirrel and gets a tapeworm. 2 of my dogs have had them from presumed grabbing squirrels. Look for wiggly grains of rice around their butt and carpet dragging itching.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The tides have been in my favor lately. Dropped my sixth ginger chatterbox this morning in the side yard.

Broadside shot while munching on a walnut after coaxing him further up the tree with the “warning rattle”, which is pretty easy to do by mouth. The .22 short went in and didn’t exit, but *graphic detail* popped his left lung out of the entry hole.

My lab was eager to retrieve him, which I know is a big no-no for hunting dogs but what the hell; she’s having fun!

Hopefully this is 67 less walnuts stashed in my boat and shed this fall and a $500 deductible less in wiring damage to my truck. woot

I can’t even count how many of them suckers suffer lead poisoning on my property each year. Honestly I hate shooting them. But the second I decide not to, I find damage or stashed acorns the next day in places there never should be acorns. I swear when you shoot one, two are regenerated.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.