Red lake

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Looks like thanks giving may be a go. Just talked to 2 resorts and they both said they will be opening up Friday to foot traffic.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Let the insanity begin! jester

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

ya the kid said his buddy at Bemidji st. went fishing on red yesterday. they had 5 inches of ice.

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

Thanks for the update, my plan was to head up there after Thanksgiving… Saweet

Billy J

Thanks, for info on ice conditions.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We rented a shore sleeper. Not going to ice camp this weekend.
    We will be up Friday morning to Tuesday

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

From Rogers –

11/20/20
    My thoughts on thanksgiving weekend is we will be walking out. We will get another 1” or 2” of ice and the warm weather during the day doesn’t last long enough to take down what we have.

We haven’t had a good satellite pic since the 17th but Sunday is looking is pretty clear and the forecasted wind favors us except on Monday. We will have a much better idea on Tuesday but that’s our thoughts as of today.
    Image may contain: outdoor

Attachments:
    1. 11-21-2020.jpg

Matt Waste

I’ll be there Fri-Sun. So pumped for ice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ll be there Fri-Sun. So pumped for ice.

We are going Friday to Tuesday

Billy J

Hey Guys, what the slot size this winter

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Which resorts on Red offer shore sleeper houses to rent??

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i know cookies does, he uses Hillmans access!!!!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>johnksully wrote:</div>

i know cookies does, he uses Hillmans access!!!!!

We rented from portavilla out of Rodgers. Typically we ice camp out of hillmans

Ripjiggen

Most of them Rogers JRs are a couple.

Justin riegel

Just saw a video from Alpine fish house rental that a big crack just opened up all along the south and se shore. seems to happen every year.

AnotherFisherman

Might have to give Red a try. Sounds like earlier the better for more action. Maybe I can build some confidence in jigging raps, rippin’ raps, shiver minnows, etc.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Just saw a video from Alpine fish house rental that a big crack just opened up all along the south and se shore. seems to happen every year.

Yes all of the places on the South/Southeast side may be screwed. Many just announced opening their accesses to foot traffic and people are booking on shore houses for later this week. Unless they’re renting out inflatable rafts, that’s going to be tough. Winds are staying out of the South through Thanksgiving with no real cool down in sight. I don’t see that huge crack “healing” much in the next few days. Don’t be shocked to see resorts backpedaling quickly to not opening accesses until the week after Thanksgiving.

Attachments:
    1. 5E985586-C103-4F68-9203-E392C3265F04.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It happens every year pretty typical. We will venture further north for ice. Still walking out less then a quarter mile is awesome

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It happens every year pretty typical. We will venture further north for ice. Still walking out less then a quarter mile is awesome

Are you talking the North side of URL, or someplace different altogether? It will be interesting to see what each access decides to do the rest of the week. I’d assume the more conservative places will be closed through the weekend, with a few others open – especially on the North side or far East corner.

Ripjiggen

Im guessing most accesses will be fine for walking out. If their is in fact a large crack they will just keep you inside of it.

Justin riegel

Im guessing most accesses will be fine for walking out. If their is in fact a large crack they will just keep you inside of it.

from the video the crack only looked to be 100-200 yards off shore

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I usually wait for the first person to go through and plan for the next weekend. waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Are you talking the North side of URL, or someplace different altogether? It will be interesting to see what each access decides to do the rest of the week. I’d assume the more conservative places will be closed through the weekend, with a few others open – especially on the North side or far East corner.

Further north up the lake

SW Eyes

Just don’t forget to throw in your planer boards and spinner rigs.

The only trick is getting that ice sheet to maintain a good steady trolling speed.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Just don’t forget to throw in your planer boards and spinner rigs.

The only trick is getting that ice sheet to maintain a good steady trolling speed.

Pulling leadcore extremely slow with some small original floaters has long been an overlooked pattern as the water cools on Pool 4 when everyone starts throwing plastic and going vertical. Maybe I’ll pack the rods and make a quick run North.

Justin riegel

Looking at the satellite photo is appears the crack runs the whole south shore, along the west shore and finally ends on the North shore around the res line. The best chance to get out will be the west side where the crack is out further. Pretty typical for them to have pressure ridge/crack about a mile out.

mojogunter

If the wind blows there is a good chance many will have to be rescued getting stuck beyond a crack. I hope that doesn’t happen, but it seems pretty common up there. I will be on the river or on my couch. Stay safe if you’re going to go on the ice. That is a big long crack. The picture is from today

Attachments:
    1. RED11.23.20.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I readily admit that I am way more cautious then most, so I generally wait until a lake is entirely frozen and locked up before visiting. I also start walking once others take wheelers, and my truck once someone else has a road or tracks to follow. Seems like not too long ago a couple young anglers lost their lives to an open water crack on the south side. Hope everyone stays safe!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I readily admit that I am way more cautious then most

You’re smarter than the average bear, Werm.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.