Red Lake

• 10klakes

Red Lake remote made a big post this morning.

Where is MN-FISH, this actually caters to their agenda – Walleye jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

apparently the folks had a town hall meeting up there recently! hoping cookie will respond soon, he’s got contact info to hit our fearless lawmakers with input.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How is mn fish not all over this

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I would love to see this state flip to Red.

Good luck with that. I think the last time that happened was 1972. Even the Evil Criminal witch Hillary carried this state. If she can, any reject the Democrats put on the ballot is likely to win.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

How is mn fish not all over this

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Because that would oppose the DNR, something they have 0 interest in at all. Ever. I was never a Ron Schara fan, but MN Fish is really cementing him as the King Citiot that has 0 care for actual MN outdoorspeople, and I doubt he could ever catch or kill something without a guide putting him in situations that my 3 year old could execute successfully.

Karry Kyllo

I don’t think that returning Upper Red Lake to the native Americans is really an issue for MN-Fish. It’s way beyond the scope of their purpose.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I don’t think that returning Upper Red Lake to the native Americans is really an issue for MN-Fish. It’s way beyond the scope of their purpose.

It’s still something to legislate against and be the voice for the MN fisherman. But there isn’t a quick buck to profit off that I suppose.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I wonder whether MN FISH played ANY role in the DNR decision to improve boat accesses. Seems like a ho-hum issue to hang their hat on IMO.

They come across as a lobbying group, which seems to be relevant to fighting this issue.

Michael Best

What exactly is their scope of purpose? Ask for money from MN fisherman and than do nothing.

Baitwaster
    South metro

If MNfish is so relevant- why is this the only place I hear or see anything mentioning it? Sure I can seek it out at the fair or sport shows, but shouldn’t an organization that says they stand for the issues they do be mentioned or involved in this or the Mille Lacs debacle?

Karry Kyllo

For the record, I’m not a member of MN-Fish but I don’t think they’ll get involved or at least I don’t think they should. It’s actually not a fishing issue, it’s a land issue.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For the record, I’m not a member of MN-Fish but I don’t think they’ll get involved or at least I don’t think they should. It’s actually not a fishing issue, it’s a land issue.

With the money the mn residents and taxpayers have invested in to that lake I see it as both. If mn fish was worth a poop they would at least be a voice for the mn sportsman. But that’s typically not the case unless they can grab a bunch of cash off top.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

It’s a money issue. They don’t care about the land. They want what the land provides. Timber value, fishing tourism $$, etc.

FinnyDinDin

There will be no more fishing on URL if the tribe gets the land. So yes, it’s definitely a fishing issue and not just about the land.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

There will be no more fishing on URL if the tribe gets the land. So yes, it’s definitely a fishing issue and not just about the land. [/quote/]

With how much money is spent fishing on that lake I doubt they’ll let that go. Will it change? Absolutely.
    I’m betting you’ll be able to fish the lake, with a special license bought from the tribe. They’re already doing similar things on certain lakes in South Dakota.
    Just a guess, just my opinion but I really doubt they’ll pass up the opportunity to make that money.

FinnyDinDin

Red lake is their crown jewel. You can fish on the red lake rez with a ‘guide’ but you cannot fish red lake itself unless you are part of the tribe and that rule is strictly enforced. If they get the rest of the lake I can just about guarantee they shut the lake access and fishing down to non-tribal members.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Red lake is their crown jewel. You can fish on the red lake rez with a ‘guide’ but you cannot fish red lake itself unless you are part of the tribe and that rule is strictly enforced. If they get the rest of the lake I can just about guarantee they shut the lake access and fishing down to non-tribal members.

Lower red is closed to all non tribal members, you can fish other lakes within the reservation with a guide but lower is totally off limits.
    I understand the situation up there.
    I’m guessing the portion of upper red we fish now will still be available for the white man to fish, just with extra fees involved. I bet they’ll allow the resorts to stay and operate their businesses, with an extra fee of course. They’ll be forced to lease their own land from the tribe or leave. It’s all about money, not some sacred land. Have you seen their land? They don’t care, place is a dump.

FinnyDinDin

Grubson that’s exactly what I said about fishing restrictions….

I don’t think you understand red lake tribes hate for the white man. It’s unlike any other tribe/rez in America. Ever drive through the rez?

I guess we’ll agree to disagree.

If this passes (highly doubtful) it’s time to prepare the militia.

Michael Best

I don’t see the tribe allowing fishing on upper red if this legislation goes through. They already don’t allow any on lower red except for tribal members.

As for SD tribal fishing license. The only tribal license requirements I know of are if you access the water from tribal lands. (Keep in mind there is lots of private non tribal lands inside reservation boundaries) Since the Red Lake tribe wants the land around the lake and already don’t allow non members to fish from their land I don’t see it happening now.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If this passes it’s time to prepare the militia.

They should have to use their primitive style of fighting too then. You know, the same ones they use to harvest walleyes, nets and spears. jester

Karry Kyllo

I don’t think you understand red lake tribes hate for the white man. It’s unlike any other tribe/rez in America. Ever drive through the rez?

You sound pretty radical. Prepare the militia for what?

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Or build a toll booth at the exit of these reservations… I’ve always got a kick out them saying, which I’ve firsthand had happened to me, was to go back my land and stay off there’s. Seems Simple enough, I’ll stay on “mine” as long as you stay on yours probably won’t end well for them.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Yep different opinions are a good thing toast

I understand their hate, and their regulations for white people on their land/ lakes.

I still think money trumps all of it. They’re gonna pass on a multi- million dollar business?? No way.

Nodakk

They could be making money by charging the white man to fish lower red but they don’t. Why would you expect something different from the upper portion?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Have you seen their land? They don’t care, place is a dump.

Exactly, and this applies to every reservation I have been to, with the exception of Mystic Lake, which has the most money and the fewest members…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

FYI Here’s the email I sent to all of my reps (State and Federal), along with Walz and DNR Commish Strommen. You can look up your reps at this link, then just google their email, some will be forms to fill out, others will have an actual email.
    https://whoaremyrepresentatives.org/

Dear NAME,
    I am very concerned about the trajectory of our state, as supposed leaders here are giving away our (everyone in MN) land. We currently have, at varying stages of donation, Upper Sioux Agency State Park (1400 acres, U of MN Cloquet Forestry Center (3400 acres), White Earth State Forest (155,000 acres), Red Lake and surrounding area (48,000 acres of lake, and 84,105 acres of woodland/towns). So a total of 291,905 acres set to be given back to the tribes, that is just the starting point, and for what? And what access will every American of every race, creed and belief have after these transfers? Little to none, if we look to how they are handled currently. Please step up and do something to stop this theft of EVERYONE’S land. Or if you believe this is the right move, please lead from the front and donate you and your families land back to the tribe you believe it was stolen from.

Thanks,

NAME

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Red Lake’ is closed to new replies.