Recreational pot

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    All valid and legitimate arguments, but how about if Pot were legal, with additional incoming Tax revenue it would lead to a new flow of cash for said initiatives correct?

Not from what I’ve read based on CA and CO’s experience. Legalizing actually costs more than it brings in. All of the licensing, inspection, and policing of pot growing and retail costs way more than the tax revenue brings in. Maybe this goes down over time, but to me it’s yet another reason not to spend time on this now.

Also, Canada has just legalized nation-wide and sales (and tax income) were dramatically lower than expected. Still early days, but Canada pursued a high tax and it appears that this strategy may have backfired and sent consumers back to their black market sources, which means no tax revenue.

Strictly based on a revenue argument, I’d say again there are VASTLY higher returns on the legislative time investment by pursuing other priorities.

Grouse

Protest it ? Go with those people I seen out side the planned parenthood. Grab a chunk of cardboard and a few colorful sharpies. Let your voice be heard

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

What I can’t stand is this: Where’s the sense of freaking legislative priorities?

How’s about we work on something important first? State budget maybe? Infrastructure? If this is a bonding bill year, at least that would stave off legislative boredom maybe? School funding overhaul?

Grouse

Its a bargaining chip. No way in hell any legislator is going to get a single line item passed. Test the waters, if it sticks, bury it into a crappy bill to get alternative support.

I could care less what people do in the privacy of their own home. Smoke some dope, drink wine, slam some beers, sip some good booze…as long as it doesn’t pose a threat to me or others – NOT MY PROBLEM. The real problem is in this country is Family Failures. I’m developing a very bias opinion on this, and I know it. Having so many individuals within our family working in various school districts and all the situations they encounter. Every year it seems like the percentage of worthless sperm donors and pathetic baby carriers keeps increasing. Maybe if more parents invested more into teaching their children to be responsible and not to become social snowflakes, we wouldn’t have issues with this????

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    All valid and legitimate arguments, but how about if Pot were legal, with additional incoming Tax revenue it would lead to a new flow of cash for said initiatives correct?

Not from what I’ve read based on CA and CO’s experience. Legalizing actually costs more than it brings in. All of the licensing, inspection, and policing of pot growing and retail costs way more than the tax revenue brings in. Maybe this goes down over time, but to me it’s yet another reason not to spend time on this now.

Grouse

source?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

source?

I’m not the one who’s trying to sell this based on income. What’s your source for assertions that pot DOES make a profit after expenses? I’m not talking about projected gross tax income here, what is the net income after all regulatory and administration expesnses?

Sorry, but I’m suspicious of ANY claims that there are huge easy net profits in pot if only the government just got involved. Keep in mind, we’re in a state that can’t get our brand new vehicle license and title IT system fully functional after a year of botched attempts. So now the state is going to go out there and make big bucks by selling pot? Gosh, what could go wrong with that idea.

Grouse

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sorry, but I’m suspicious of ANY claims that there are huge easy net profits in pot if only the government just got involved. Keep in mind, we’re in a state that can’t get our brand new vehicle license and title IT system fully functional after a year of botched attempts. So now the state is going to go out there and make big bucks by selling pot? Gosh, what could go wrong with that idea.

Grouse
    [/quote]

I completely agree with this. Our state is run by dilldongs. Greedy ones at that. Just looked at my taxes and wow. Greedy. But they see the money and go oh wow yeah good idea. Colorado mad 1.52billion last year in weed. Imagine how much extra they could stuff in their pockets.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Maybe if more parents invested more into teaching their children to be responsible and not to become social snowflakes, we wouldn’t have issues with this????

Totally agree with this. Way too many kids grow up without good parents. Especially Dads.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Cause I’m a picker
    I’m a grinner
    I’m a lover
    And I’m a sinner
    Playin’ my music in the sun
    I’m a joker
    I’m a smoker
    I’m a mid-night toker
    I get my lovin’ on the run
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

catmando
    wis

Hurry, someone post some boobs while the moderator is in a good mood. Seriously, nice to see a controversial topic not get shutdown immediately.

One vote for the hoorahs!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

They’ll change fish limits based on public input…. Maybe they should ask the public coffee

bigfish2

Sure make it legal, then trust the person with your back in a foxhole. Get on the airplane with a smoking pilot, or engine mech. Yes I strongly dislike the idea of making it legal. Make punishment harsher for user and seller.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

hah

Sure make it legal, then trust the person with your back in a foxhole. Get on the airplane with a smoking pilot, or engine mech. Yes I strongly dislike the idea of making it legal. Make punishment harsher for user and seller.

rotflol rotflol

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ll second that!

rotflol rotflol rotflol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well, since it’s already illegal for pilots to drink alcohol and fly a plane, I would bet it would be illegal to smoke the wacky tabaccy and fly a plane. roll

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Utah just voted to legalize the medical use but the LDS has so much power that they forced the legislature to rewrite it after being voted on because they didn’t like it.

Jonesy

That train has left the station. Only a matter of time. I personally have never smoked it. I also personally know a CEO of a multi million dollar company that does and an operations manager that does. But the biggest thing is I know a raging destructive alcoholic who has been sober over a decade and credits pot for some of that.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

I say build the wall keep out all those drugs out from Mexico give the local guys a chance to make some money. But tax them. peace

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Protest it ? Go with those people I seen out side the planned parenthood. Grab a chunk of cardboard and a few colorful sharpies. Let your voice be heard

You’re gonna poke fun at people with real conviction, good morals, and belief that every human life matters????? Wow. If that’s how you really feel, respect lost. Go ask them why they stand out there, every day? Go ahead.

Mike

It will pass sooner than later.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m sure all these people your all worried about either already smoke pot or dont. I dont think because it’s legal or illegal changes much. The job it self still wont allow dirty pee tests.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If that’s how you really feel, respect lost. Go ask them why they stand out there, every day? Go ahead.
    [/quote]

I’m not against them nor poking fun at them. I understand their point and battle completely.

basseyes

What amazes me is how many opposed to it, don’t think twice about alchohol being legal and have a seemed tolerance for the detrimental affects of alcohol on non users as nothing much more than collateral damage for the right to drink because prohibition doesn’t work with alcohol. Never smoked weed and only drank once when I was 15 and knew then and there I couldn’t go near the stuff or would be the whine-O in the gutter if I did. How often do you hear of a raging pot head beating his wife or kids? Or driving away from a bar drunk as a skunk, then harming innocent bystanders?

Don’t personally like either one, but it’s here and going nowhere. Being legal might create tax revenue no matter how ignorant government is, has been and will continue to be.

The biggest drug dealers are not selling weed, but prescriptions that have lead to an epidemic in opioid use and overdoses, yet are viewed way differently off of nothing more than perceptions and titles.

catnip
    south metro

You are foolish if you think that if it becomes legal that will cause a rise in people driving or working while smoking weed, they already do it. And making it legal wont bring more than a few new members to the club either. Its more natural than alcohol, it only needs to be dried and not altered in any way. I treat pot like most of you treat beer. Alcohol doesn’t agree with me i get a hangover before the buzz so why should you get to have all the fun? Stoners dont run red lights, they wait for the stop sign to turn green! Nothing better than catfishing with a couple buddies and doobies. You can have my tax $ or not i dont care.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The biggest drug dealers are not selling weed, but prescriptions that have lead to an epidemic in opioid use and overdoses, yet are viewed way differently off of nothing more than perceptions and titles.

It’s sad how much big pharm pushes scripts of painkillers and understand the effect on it. But they make multi billions and the government makes them selves millions and looks under away when these prescriptions are being pushed in ways they shouldn’t be. But we mention legalized pot and all hell is gonna break loose.
    At the same time our kids are to “hyper” so quick get them to the doc and put them on adderall. A amphetamine and incredibly addictive. Watch the show weediquette ( probably spelt wrong). Lots of very good pros and cons all about pot. And other things.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Not 100% sure but I say you might as well legalize it. Only way it would make sense not to is if you could guarantee people wouldn’t do it. We know how that goes. Right now people are being locked up that shouldn’t be and criminals are profiting.

Anyone wonder with this becoming such a distraction what real issues are state leaders trying to hide?

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I heard it only will be sold reservations when it becomes legal, so you can buy your weed and place your sports bet all in one place!

Deleted

Until it is off federal crime status & it’s totally legal to grow your own, nobody will truly be able to afford it. I wish they’d make it legal cause I’d finish the basement and save a lot of money on meds.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The biggest issue I see with it, and have seen with it as I go to Denver every year or so, is the DUI possibilities. With the amount of time pot stays in your system being so much longer than alcohol, it’s going to be very interesting how they prove someone was actually impaired while driving when a urine test will come back positive for a week or two. Proving actual impairment as opposed to getting a DUI because you smoked pot 3 days before you were arrested for a DUI and tested positive….Maybe field tests will determine the outcome? Just my .02. I’m neither for or against it. We all know you can get it just as easy now than as if it was legalized.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

i think it’s funny that some people think society will fall apart and crumble if marijuana is legal. All hell will break loose.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.