Recon 895 Tiller

• Beast

Looks like a nice boat, two things that I wouldn’t care for are the electronics on the starboard side, and having to remove the butt seat off the stern to run the tiller, otherwise it has a very clean layout.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yep, don’t know what to think though. I guess I need to see on in person.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Looks like that would be one heck of a reach to run the tiller handle from that seat position but a guy would have to sit in there and see. I mounted my graph on that side as well, nice to see some companies doing that. On a wide tiller there’s no way I’m standing up to walk over to the port side every time I want to make an adjustment on the graph. It also forces you to be looking forward to what’s going on besides the graph.

catmando
    wis

Looks like a reach to the tiller, not a lot of space in between decks but alot of front deck, my 2cents should have been a 20fter, If someone would give me one I would take it. lol. DK.

FryDog62

If I were in the market for a tiller again, this one would get the nod. Right size, awesome rod locker and floor plan more suited to a multi-species/bass guy like me instead of pure walleye as most tillers are made to be…

Only thing they need to add to the Recon is the net scabbard that Yar-Craft has..

Deuces

What’s the point of having electronics over there? I get it when traveling but what’s the amount of time of fishing vs travel, 5-1, 10-1? This assuming the bowmount is king and not much backtrolling would be going on?

Just curious, nice looking rig. I always like to see the stern angle and setup on tillers myself.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Looks like a really small cockpit area. Pretty limited to two guys.

I don’t get the electronics placement. Unless you’ve got true hydraulic steering, you’re not going to be able to turn and see the electronics when you’re running without compromising control of the tiller.

Seat placement is normal for a tiller.

curleytail

I think it looks like a pretty nice layout and is a pretty reasonable size tiller. I think I read that the boat pictured is Joe Bucher’s new boat and that Recon will custom build their boats to your requirements. I took this to mean the electronics placement and possibly seat placement was specified by Joe.

I’d be interested to see what the electronics on the right side would be like. In a wide tiller it might be a better way to adjust them at speed and may also have you looking forward more often. My Tuffy 1760T is only 85 inches wide and it’s already a long enough reach from the captain’s chair to reach the Humminbird.

As a musky guy and panfish/ walleye guy that doesn’t do a whole lot of trolling I like the layout. A bigger rear deck than most tillers gives looks nice.

Tucker

FryDog62

“I think I read that the boat pictured is Joe Bucher’s new boat and that Recon will custom build their boats to your requirements. I took this to mean the electronics placement and possibly seat placement was specified by Joe.”

I wondered that too, maybe it’s laid out that way specifically for Joe because he’s a Southpaw. I grew up in a family of lefties so I get it. But if you decided to put the electronics on the other side, the storage lockers run along that side only. Not sure how you’d set that up unless the platform can be reversed into mirror image somehow??

Charles

There diffidently pretty damn sweet boats, we have a guy in our club with a recon seams like they are built like a tank and they ride nice. Hey had some stuff tweaked at the factory for him and he said they were super helpful to whatever he wanted changed.

The only thing I don’t like is the livewell, its a small opening and but a huge livewell, it sucks trying to cull.

curleytail

It looks like a pretty narrow dashboard on there so it may mount behind the lids on the other side. Or if that side storage is free standing and bolted on maybe it can be put on the other side. Not sure, would have to have some talks with Recon to find out.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i rigged one of my tillers that way 10 years ago. it worked absolutely fine for casting and made it much easier to monitor and adjust map views while running. it obviously wouldn’t work very well at all for backtrolling with the big motor.

as a brand, Recon caters pretty strongly to muskie fishermen: Bucher and Maina are their big promotional guys, and they include boat design features such as the oversized rod locker and livewell.

Attachments:
    1. starboard.jpg

FryDog62

“boat design features such as the oversized rod locker and livewell.”

This is one of the selling points for me… most rod lockers you have to bend the rod going in/out. You do this a hundred times or so with any rod and you invariably catch the eyes a little each time… and they can eventually wear out. The Recon locker opens so that you can pull rods straight out seamlessly. Doesn’t sound like a big deal but after you’ve had to repair some expensive rods more than once you realize how nice that feature is…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For the way I fish very multispecies this boat catches my eye. Whats the price tag on one of these

curleytail

I know some of you don’t have Facebook but Joe posted a decent walkthrough of the boat on his facebook page.
    https://m.facebook.com/fishingwithjoebucher/

According to Joe and a comment from Recon on their Facebook page, the boat does about 36 mph with 2 people and an aluminum prop… not sure about batteries, trolling motor, or gas, but that sounds like pretty decent tiller performance for an 18 footer.

I like the layout more the more I look at it.

There have also been comments that the electronics can be put anywhere and some other customizations can be done as well.

Tucker

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If I was shopping for a tiller, this would definitely be considered. A boat that can have a layout modified more than some of the big name manufacturers is a plus.

It’s nice to see more options for consumers in an industry that seems to have competition narrowing with each passing year.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.