Recommendations on .22lr pistol

• robby
    Quad Cities

Howdy all. Id like to get a .22 semiauto pistol. Only one Ive ever owned was a vintage Colt Woodsman. I gave $125 for it not knowing what it was. I sold it a few years later for $1200. Fixed sights and it shot low with all ammo, no loss. Anyways Id like something probably in target configuration or with semi heavy barrel of 4 1/2 inches at the least. Adjustable sights. Ill use this for small game, targets, plinking, and maybe mini bowling pin league. Just looking for recommendations on makes and models, pros and cons. I am a trigger snob so trigger must be either easily adjustable or an aftermarket drop in is avaliable. I have a Ruger Single Six, well used to say the least. But it shoots true and Ive taken many squirrels, rabbits, Raccoons, Possums, Skunks, and a coyote with it. I dont want another revolver.
    Thank you all.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I have a browning buckmark
    Great little pea shooter.
    5.5″ barrel, very accurate little gun.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Check out the Ruger auto .22s. Nice guns and a couple are more target oriented…bull type barrels etc.

ajw

browning buckmark .22 is a superb gun as well as the the ruger line of .22’s. If you want to really treat yourself and your kids get one suppressed and be the best dad of all time.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I’ve had a Ruger Mark 11 ss slab side with a red dot scope on it for more than years and I am very happy with it. It shoots very accurate and never malfunctions if kept somewhat clean. Top left in link.
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1534&bih=714&ei=VP1-XPuyB8rejwSO6ZBQ&q=ruger+mark+11+stainless+lab+side&oq=ruger+mark+11+stainless+lab+side&gs_l=img.12…1857.25574..30689…0.0..0.83.1967.34……1….1..gws-wiz-img…..0..0j0i24j0i30.z8SjcX14b3I#imgrc=ofP0JN3UFxyeHM:

Oranda

I have several .22 Semi. The Ruger Mark ll SS target competion is the best shooter, everyone who shoots it loves it.

The Ruger SR 22 is also great. Super fun to shoot. Not as accurate due to much smaller barrel.

I had a Browning Buckmark that was nice as well. It was between the other two in barrel size so it was not used much. Also I did not like that it was designed to not be taken down to clean. Not what I learned in boot camp. I like to take them down and clean them very well after every outing.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

S&W SW22 Victory has been a great little trap line gun for me

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have a Ruger 6 inch barrel 22 with Red Dot scope I used it a lot for Coon, squirrel and rabbit hunting. Just a blast chasing down those running rabbits many got away but plain a– fun.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got a Browning Buckmark and a Beretta Neos U22. I’m very happy with both. If you don’t mind the odd looks of the Neos, it shoots well and is super easy to disassemble and clean. I like my Buckmark a lot, too, but it doesn’t tear down easily, and I don’t think it would fit well in smaller hands (not a problem for me).

I’ve got more rounds through the Neos, but both have eaten any ammo that I’ve thrown at them, which is generally whatever is cheap!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ll second the ruger sr22

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I’ve got the Beretta neos also very good shooting gun and agree very simple take down for cleaning. I’ve killed a lot of coons with it.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I have the Browning 1911-22. It’s super nice! Verry accurate and seems to shoot whatever ammo I throw in it except sub sonic. The only downfall is there is no grip mounted laser available like you would for a full size 1911.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks
    Didnt S&W make something similar to the Ruger but easier to take down and reassemble? The Rugers have a reputation for being complicated to dissasemble and reassemble.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Bought a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite last year and have been really happy with it. Prob have close to 2k rounds through it and it’s run like a champ. Almost all of them suppressed. Plenty accurate too.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

… The Rugers have a reputation for being complicated to dissasemble and reassemble.

No longer the case with the Mark IV models. One button take down now. Piece of cake.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Ruger mark 4 22/45 stainless bull barrel… I have a mark 2,3,and 4. I also own a browning buck mark and a sr22. I will admit that I have never shot the sr22, I won it and it has not left the house. The new mark 4 Rugers are the best, in my opinion. Accurate, easy to tear down, and shoot anything.

I have owned a neos, they are nice too, the Walter is not bad for the money, but not sure they make a bull barrel. The S&W is not bad, either but for the money there are better choices.

Everybody likes something a little different. But I am yet to find anybody say they do not like the new Mark IV ruger line.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Thanks
    Didnt S&W make something similar to the Ruger but easier to take down and reassemble? The Rugers have a reputation for being complicated to dissasemble and reassemble.

S&W SW22 Victory

404 ERROR
    MN

I have several .22 Semi. The Ruger Mark ll SS target competion is the best shooter, everyone who shoots it loves it.

This ^^. Wouldn’t trade mine for anything. They go for a pretty penny now…

Buckmark, MK II/III/IV, SW22 and the Neos are IMO, the only good .22lr semi autos made…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Browning Buckmark in whatever configuration you like.

I’ve had one since the year they first came out and as a target or small game shooter it is a fine, reliable, and proven design.

Grouse

socoeyechaser
    Colorado

My wife and I both shoot Walther PPQs in 22LR to save on ammo costs because we’re at the range quite often. I don’t have much experience with other models and brands in this caliber but am happy with the PPQ’s performance and trigger. I too am selective about triggers and have customs in my other pistols. Do you have access to a range where you can rent and try different models?

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks everyone!

robby
    Quad Cities

Ralph. I have not purchased. I checked out the Ruger Mark IV and like it a lot. Esoecially the Hunter and Target models. Money is an object. As I get older and my Daughter grows up Im feeling a fool for my choice of career. Lol. But I do love it. Anyways, I need to replace my vehicle first. Unless an absolute deal rolls in my face. I now at least know what I want. I really appreciate all of your insights. Ralph the reasons I chose the Ruger over the others are 2 fold. #1, ease of disassembly. #2, lots and lots of replacement parts and aftermarket parts. None of the others come close to #2. I appreciate you inquiring. I just was able to purchase a house (mortgage) following my divorce in Oct of 2017. Still lots I want to do around here too. Found by accident the house has tin ceilings in the downstairs above the the other ceiling. Id like to refinish all of those, etc…. Many other projects in line before that. Wow, where did this rant come from??? Im not even drinking. Anyways, this is the Caboose. For now……lol

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.