Recommendations for jerk baits

• mrpike1973

After battling forever with Husky Jerks that don’t work or crack yes I know how to tune them. Any brand or type that would be great for largemouth bass? X raps work but at 10 bucks a pop that gets spendy fast. Looking for options as this is something trying to hone my skills on. Is it better to go plastic than balsa? I prefer to use a smaller bait caster but can switch it up to a spinning. Thanks

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Megabass is the gold standard for jerk baits, but they aren’t cheap. They are perfectly balanced right out of the box and their paint job is second to none. I’ve got about 5 of them. I use them primarily for smallmouth but occasionally for largies too.

My second more economical choice would be the Berkley Stunna.

There is a new one made by rapala this year called the Mavrick. I haven’t seen it in stores yet.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I love my mega bass jerk baits but I also really like throwing my Rapala shadow rap in perch color. I have a few other brands and if in nit throwing megabass then it’ll be that same old shadow rap in perch color.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I am looking for suspending jerk baits. Do most manufactures make them.
    Any favorites that you guys recommend?

Deuces

It was this day that i realized husky jerks….. are a jerk bait. Didn’t even think of it seriously smfh

I’m surprised to hear cracked huskies, one of my favorite baits and never had issue. I’m with bear, shadows are a good second. Been getting my eyes on p2 after dark w em.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Academy H2OX Ultimate Jerk Shads reg price $5.99 but they should be going on sale soon. They used to go on sale for $2.99. The last couple of years they only took $1 or $1.50 off. I have a stockpile of them. They cast well and have loud rattles. Unfortunately, they no longer have the Tomato color. May float, suspend, or slow sink right out of the package. They are marketed as a floater. They work well for LMB, SMB, eyes, and pike. Crackle is my #1 color.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I don’t have experience with them but I’ve talked to a few folks who have used the new Berkeley FFS baits, finisher and krej, with good success. Obviously don’t need ffs to use them, aren’t cheap either though.

Also surprised to hear you are having issues with the husky jerks, I can’t remember having an issue with them but one of my favorite early season stick baits

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I never really considered the husky jerk series to be a true jerkbait. Mine were more of a trolling-style crank bait. I honestly am not sure kind of neutral buoyancy they have right out of the box.

I am generally just not a fan of the rapala jerk baits because they are cheaply made and the stock trebles constantly bend and need replacing when I use them. If I had to select one I would use the shadow rap series. As previously mentioned, they introduced a new one this year called the mavrick which I have not heard anything about yet.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I never really considered the husky jerk series to be a true jerkbait. Mine were more of a trolling-style crank bait. I honestly am not sure kind of neutral buoyancy they have right out of the box.

I am generally just not a fan of the rapala jerk baits because they are cheaply made and the stock trebles constantly bend and need replacing when I use them. If I had to select one I would use the shadow rap series. As previously mentioned, they introduced a new one this year called the mavrick which I have not heard anything about yet.

My shadow raps immediately get replacement hooks because of the stock are junk. The lure itself is money though. They work

buschman
    Pool 2

I have done good with the Rapala ripstops #9. Its more of a twitch bait than a pull and pause. Great for pre spawn bass.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

My shadow raps immediately get replacement hooks because of the stock are junk. The lure itself is money though. They work

Shadow rap deeps also work great for walleyes on wing dams. They are a great all around bait.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree, replace the stock trebles on them. Just have to make sure you replace with the correct ones so you don’t compromise the neutral buoyancy of the lure itself.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I’m a big Rapala fan, but yes I also agree they have lost some quality recently.

Have you tried the Berkeley hit stick as a replacement for the husky jerks? I have caught a pile of fish on them.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Still go back and forth with Rapala regarding their Shadow Raps. The way they have handled warranty has lost me as a customer. Ill stick with Berkeley and Strike King. Nothing out there has the finesse presentation of the shadow rap though, Ill be a hypocrite and use them until the pike take them.

Hit Stick is apples to oranges in regards to Shadow Rap. Yozuri makes the closest replica imo

mrpike1973

I totally agree with gimrus on the husky

jwellsy

What were those swim bait kits called they used to sell on As Seen On TV infomercials about 5 – 10 years ago?
    They may have been all white.
    They pushed them hard for fishing Southern Largemouths.

B-man

Shadow Raps are one of my favorite trolling baits on Lake Superior, even though they are marketed/designed as a suspending jerk bait. Nothing mimicks a smelt better (in my opinion).

I agree their hooks are on the lighter side (which no doubt makes them so effective at catching fish), but I wouldn’t call them junk at any stretch. They’ve put fish weighing 1 pound to 25lbs in the net at trolling speeds hundreds of times for me.

When I get a bait that needs some love I replace them with 1X Gamakatsu round bend trebles. They’re a tad beefier but I don’t think they affect the action enough to make a significant difference (for my application anyway).

Shadow Raps have been put through the gauntlet for me, and I can honestly say I’ve never had a body break. Hooks have broken, split rings have pulled (both have mostly happened with a fish thrashing in the net), but I’ve never had a bill snap off or the hardware in the bait itself fail.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve fished rapala’s for many years and have not had much for problems with any of them. I use a ton of husky jerks and shadow raps. The hooks are rather on the light side but are sticky sharp. I have also had great luck with the smithwick suspending rattlin rogue. I’d love to use some of the higher end jerk baits but lose way to many to pike to do so

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

High recommendation for Rapala Shadow raps.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’d love to use some of the higher end jerk baits but lose way to many to pike to do so

I have never actually lose a megabass jerk bait to a pike. I’ve been using them for about 5 years now. I’m sure its bound to happen at some point and I’ll have a stroke when it does.

I’ve lost quite a few lures to pike, just never one of those yet, specifically.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.