Recommendation for Suzuki Dealer or service center

• KPE
    River Falls, WI

IDO,

My old man has a 1998 Suzuki 115 2 stroke. I haven’t seen it yet to fully assess what the real issue is, but the word is “a burnt out piston”. We knew it was not firing on cyl 3 so brought it in to someone who believed the issue was a head gasket. Suffice to say That was not the problem. I will figure out whether the wall is scored, piston has a hole in it, bad rings or whatever the deal may be once I actually see it.

But for now just looking for recommendations on a suzuki dealer. We’re investigating a repower as well, but I still think fixing this one and selling it in good working order is the way to go if it can be done at a reasonable price point. I don’t like throwing stuff in the trash.

klang

Sheldon’s Marine in Kellogg IA!

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Yes Sheldon is the best I bought my Suzuki from Holman marine in Holman Wisconsin but the guy to trust I would have Sheldon take a peek. He is iowaboy on this site

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sheldon is on vacation this week in Bemidji. Send him a PM and he will get back to you next week.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Thanks, messaging Sheldon is on my list of things to do

Iowaboy1

Guys, I am extremely humbled by the recommendations! Thank you !!

KPE, that era of zuki is going to be tough to find parts for, I have one of that vintage that I service and most everything I look for is NLA, I am able once in a while to find something on Ebay for it.

I know and understand that you dont want to spend a lot, but in all honesty your best bet is to knock it in the head and move on, sorry if that stings but its the truth.
    I would really hate to see you chase things down a rabbit hole and that is where you are headed if it does in fact have a scored cylinder.
    Now, all of that said, if you want to do the leg work of finding all of the parts needed to bring it back to life, ( I get paid by the hour and you will have to pay me for time spent researching and finding all parts ) ( sorry thats business ) I will be more than happy to go through it for you.

It will be winter time before I can even think about going through it and most likely it will take you that long to find parts, you see, the big bad wolf ( epa ) is doing its best to eliminate anything to do with the old two smokes and even parts for stuff as new as 2008 is getting tough to find parts for.

I got your pm and will send you my cell phone number if you want to talk more about this.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hey, you’re on vacation, get off the internet and have a cocktail with Sparkles. rotflol BTW, your storm found it’s way to me! grin

Iowaboy1

Sorry about that D !! I mustve scared it off when I threatened it, didnt mean for it to track your way!!
    Finally cooled off here, SHEESH!! the last gill I caught came out of the lake already baked and I thought that was impossible!!
    But I did see it happen once in the Munsters go camping.

stevenoak

Though maybe not what you want to hear. Sheldons advice is spot on, and very much has your best interest in mind. I was 45 years in the auto repair business. Can’t count the times I saw people make regrettable decisions on repairing older vehicles. Sucks having to replace anything now. But looks like the right choice. Unless someone rockpiles a lower unit on one you could buy cheap.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

But I did see it happen once in the Munsters go camping.

Gotta love those new rods and reels you two, eh?!

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Hey guys, thanks for all the recommendations. I spoke with Sheldon last night, and yes my dad is very excited about the prospect of a new 4 stroke anyway as he has had more than his share of old motor troubles and I told him he deserves trouble-free performance for at least a few years. Going with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke, found some really nice prices. Actually lower than when I tried to buy one last year, which is very surprising.

Sheldon- I’ll be in touch anyway, perhaps you know someone who might want this suzuki for parts and we can make a deal, knowing cyl 3 is likely not salvageable without extensive work.

P.S. for all sheldon’s buddies, I did ask him to call me back after his vacation but he was adamant we talk last night, this guy obviously loves what he does! Hope the fishing is good!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.