Recent Reports

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ll be heading up 9/22 to 9/26 with 4 guys and 2 boats. We do well every time you but always seem early for the shiner run. Hoping to get in the river or shallow on the south shore and get after some big fish. We’ll likely run the whole lake from south shore up to Oak Island if the wind permits but I’d love to be in the river a bit.

If you are up, or will be up there, post some reports on the shiner run and water temps.

Thanks.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My folks are heading up there today for over a week of fishing. I’ll try to get a report for you when they get back.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

My folks are heading up there today for over a week of fishing. I’ll try to get a report for you when they get back.

That would be greatly appreciated…thanks!

grizzly
    nebraska

29 ft of water jigging is good. Sort through all the dinks and get some eaters. Up around knights and in the deep water looks like it’s turning over. Water looks like they poured green paint in the lake

Ns

Lots of small fish, which is good for future. Decent amount of slot fish with a few bigger mixed in. Should only get better as it cools down

mojogunter

I am headed up next Saturday. Hopefully we find some fish.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We’re heading up Wednesday….anyone up last weekend?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Don’t have a lot for you Matt. Lead core caught some fish but they were primarily looking for large fish because they were pre-fishing for a tournament. I received a photo of a 28 inch walleye from my Father but other than that fish I don’t think they caught very many big ones. Sorry I don’t have more information.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Don’t have a lot for you Matt. Lead core caught some fish but they were primarily looking for large fish because they were pre-fishing for a tournament. I received a photo of a 28 inch walleye from my Father but other than that fish I don’t think they caught very many big ones. Sorry I don’t have more information.

It’s all good….I just can’t do the leadcore deal. I know it’s a big fish pattern but it’s a grind.

Cody Meyers

We are headed up on the 10th, so I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread as well.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Keeping an eye on this, I’ll be there week of Oct 17th

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We just wrapped 3 days. Water is still warm…60 degrees. Fish are still spread out all over the lake. The shiners are starting to run but we didn’t catch or hear of anything big caught on the south shore or in the river.

Wind was an issue..:switched everyday on us. South on Thursday, north of Friday, west today. We could only run to the islands today which was disappointing.

The good news… we caught quite a few fish. Today the size was better but slot fish were hard to come by….eaters were not. Fish from 10 ft to 24 ft of water all jigs and shiners. Tried to get into the islands and fish shallow but wind wouldn’t let us.

Lots of guys fishing jigs, some still pulling lead and spinners. My guess is that as the water cools the bite will really pickup.

Good luck.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Matt,
    We jigged on the South Shore on Saturday and had a good day of fishing. Sunday morning on the South Shore was really slow with zero wind.

Where you able to get your Livescope dialed in? I barrowed my buddies for the weekend. It was pretty cool. If you have any advice on the settings for up there, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Matt,
    We jigged on the South Shore on Saturday and had a good day of fishing. Sunday morning on the South Shore was really slow with zero wind.

Where you able to get your Livescope dialed in? I barrowed my buddies for the weekend. It was pretty cool. If you have any advice on the settings for up there, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Didn’t use the livescope. We had to switch up boats last minute and didn’t have a great way to mount it. Could’ve probably tried harder but with waves and wind seemed like too much.

Friday on the south shore in the heavy wind we caught 51 fish from about 1-5pm with 3 limits. Biggest was 19 though. The morning inside the gap was pretty slow with just a handful before we would get out onto the main lake.

Saturday up near Knight and Bridges we caught 66 from about 10am til 4pm but it was slow the last couple hours. Did get 4 slot fish though.

Charters have been running all the way to Little Oak…tells me the smaller fish are staging but big fish haven’t moved yet.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Any reports from the river? I’ve seen some posts from resorts that the shiners are running, but not much else…

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Right on, Matt. Thanks for the report.

We fished the river, 5 different spots around Wheelers Point, Friday because of the heavy wind and have a first timer with and didn’t do very good. The reports were the shiners ran really good on Saturday night and some Walleye were with them. The neighbors were going to try the river yesterday afternoon. We had to head home. Them damn retired guys that get to stay up there, lol. I didn’t hear any reports of great fishing from them. So, I would guess they didn’t catch many.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Any reports from the river? I’ve seen some posts from resorts that the shiners are running, but not much else…

Not yet….guys were catching small fish in the river. The run is starting but water temps were in the low 60’s still.

Heard resort guys saying the shiners are early this year and the walleyes haven’t really followed yet.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I will be up fishing Rainy Lake late next week and plan to come down to Birchdale for a day, maybe more if rainy Lake is tough, hope there will be some in the river by then, not necessarily looking for big fish, just good action

fishingadam54

We fished last weekend and caught fish in 24-27′ straight out from the gap. Mostly small fish but enough keepers to fill out 3 limits. Jigs and shiners is what we used. Shiners are thick in the river but the walleyes don’t seem to be there yet. Water temp is around 60

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Anyone know if the water level would be too low to fish around Birchdale? I have only fished that area once and it was a wet summer/fall , we went upriver from the launch almost to the State Park

corya
    Iowa

Any reports from the last week? We’re heading up Thursday

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Lots of small fish in the Lake in front of Pine Island with some decent size keepers and a few big fish.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Fished Birchdale on Saturday and Sunday. Slowing going but you could get around and fish current seams and deeper spots. The bite was better on Saturday (not a hot bite by any means though) and there sure were a lot of Northerns in that 18 t0 20in range. Also got a sturgeon on and had him jump fully out of the water before snapping my 8lb mono

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Heard from a friend of a friend they were hammering on the south shore just past Pine Island.

chubs1018

I’m up here right now, have been here since last Friday. The bite is great, but there is alot of sorting to find good fish. We haven’t found many slot fish. Just a few in that 20 to 22 inch range. A few 17 to 19 inch fish mixed in with a million saucers. White or gold jigs with frozen shiners have been our best. Caught fish from 15 to 28 feet of water.

chubs1018

We have mostly fished the lake but tried 4 mile bay and the river and did really good there too although not quite as fast of action. You will catch a lot of fish.

Corey sunderman

We have mostly fished the lake but tried 4 mile bay and the river and did really good there too although not quite as fast of action. You will catch a lot of fish.

Sounds good. I see you have a lsf hat in profile pic. Havnt seen one of them in a while. I was sundie23

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.