Recent Reports?

• Matt

I’m heading up this weekend to spend the week and am wondering if anyone has any recent reports? Not looking for specific locations or anything like that, just some general info to get started. We are staying on the ash river and will mostly likely fish the east side of Kab and west side of Namakan. We like to split our time between walleye and bass fishing.

Thanks!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

When the wind is blowing the bite has been good.

Look to the Wolf Island area on Kab. for Walleye. Namakan Island shoreline has been good for smallies.

Matt

Thanks for the info! Good to hear the smallies are biting. My daughters love to throw topwaters for them in the mornings and evenings.

I’ll post a report when I get back.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I know some guys who were up last week and they did well. They ate two meals of walleye and brought fish home. 10-12 ft is what he told me was the best depth. I’m sure they were on Namakan somewhere. The pike are numerous and hungry. I’ve been up twice since opener as well and the bite for them has been almost annoying at times. Good luck up there. Some of the best fishing of the year will be happening in the next few weeks.

JAnderson

Thanks for the recent reports. Any further reports this week? Heading up Wednesday to camp for the week. I’ll report back when we return.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Mid teens for depth and prayfor wind.

Matt

Just got back this weekend. Fishing was excellent! Minnows and crawlers produced good eaters with larger fish being caught on crankbaits and soft plastics.

Lots of pike and bass kept the girls thoroughly entertained during the day.

Water temps warmed up to mid to upper 60’s by the end of the week.

Attachments:
    1. 3786F135-3765-4797-8E24-C4F0F95D8AB7.jpeg

heavyraidersfan

Heading up there on Saturday out of Moosehorn resort for the week. Any presentation been working better than the rest? Have had some small success and just looking for a place to start. Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Leeches from what I am hearing.

Matt

We used spinners and Lindy rigs a lot. Started shallow and worked our way deeper.

JAnderson

Mid teens for depth and prayfor wind.

Just got back yesterday. This was certainly the case. Days without wind was a struggle. We scrapped some together to keep us entertained but it was hot in the sun and slow with the fishing. When the wind blew we did much better. Leeches dominated for us behind a Lindy rig. Lots of fish in the 15-21ft range. We got a couple bigger fish with one at 26.5”. That was on a slip bobber at dusk in 8ft with the wind crashing the water in the rocks near Pat Smith. With the east wind on Sunday we caught quite a few on jug and fox island. All in all a pretty good camping trip with some ok fishing. We would prefer better fishing but we are forced to schedule in advance now a days so we cannot pick our weather. We have been going all over Kabetogama, Namakan, and Crane for 15ish years now so we are thinking of heading up to rainy to change this up next year. For this year, I’ll be back in VNP for at least on more trip this year, likely in October.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Glad you had fun. Lots of water to explore. From what I’m hearing Rainy isn’t the factory of past years. Heard people are heading to the Canadian side for fish. Each year is different so you never know what you will find on any of the shield lakes.

heavyraidersfan

Got back yesterday and wanted to thank you guys for the info. Had the best fishing on the lake that we have had yet. Fished exclusively in 13-20 feet. Windy days were definitely easy to find and catch fish. Used pretty much nothing but lindys and crawlers, only caught one fish on a leech all week. Had a great 4 hour session Friday afternoon after the thunderstorms when we released 4 slot fish and caught others. Biggest fish of the week was 22.5″. Pretty sure that we will be making another up there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.