Recent Bite?

• pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

You guys are killing me. Definitely keeping my boat out longer next year. I alternate over the years and this was an early one. Keep up the good work and mark some ice fishing spots…….

Looking forward to seeing what happens when the water really starts to cool. Next week at this time should be interesting.

I don’t hunt, and I don’t fish hard water. So the thought of wrapping the boat up in October brings a little tear to my eye.

tipdown
    Hudson, WI

i fish the river til i can’t put the boat in the water any longer, the bite is ridiculous. Its a tough decision between stand sits and walleye right now.

triton186
    Hudson, WI

Does the trolling bite continue in the fall or does it start to transition more to jigs and meat/plastics? I noticed on Sunday that the preference seems to be a bit deeper…20-24 fow…I would suspect that they would continue to move deeper over the next several weeks??

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Does the trolling bite continue in the fall or does it start to transition more to jigs and meat/plastics? I noticed on Sunday that the preference seems to be a bit deeper…20-24 fow…I would suspect that they would continue to move deeper over the next several weeks??

Also interested in some feedback on this. FWIW, on Monday I caught walleye, smallmouth, and white bass all trolling flicker shads at about 12-14 ft. I wasn’t lighting it up by any means, 5 fish in 4 hours, but there are still fish there. Maybe there are better numbers hanging out in 20+ feet?

My deeper running baits are all longer profile stick baits like reef runners and deep t-sticks. After my first fish hit a shad profile I abandoned the deeper stuff and went with flicker shads so couldn’t get deeper than 14. For the next trip out I’m considering pulling lead to get the flickers a bit deeper.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Typically as the water cools yes switch from trolling to more jig presentations… Things slow down for sure (speed of presentation)

However, I’ve had great success trolling leadcore in February. 0.9-1.1mph

Results always vary. Always be prepared with multiple presentations for any day of fishing

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Spent the afternoon on the Croix again yesterday. Didn’t have high expectations as I was taking a learning day to try out leadcore for the first time. I worked the WI shore south to Afton and then the Hudson channel area by the islands and the old bridge. Surface temps about 46.

I lost a dandy sauger that really broke my heart. Hit a flicker shad going at about 22 feet. I had the reel set to free-spool with the clicker on and the strike was spastic with head shakes making the reel scream in short bursts. I got the fish in my net and had the handle resting against the gunwhale, went to open the bale on my reel to ease the line tension and the fish flopped outta my net. Didn’t realize it was hooked that lightly. Stupid rubber frabil, stupid me. smash I obviously never got a measurement but this would’ve have been my personal best sauger. Low/Mid-twenties and I’ve never caught one over 17!

Other than that I only landed a short sauger (jointed shad rap), a couple white bass, and a nice 24″ pike that came home for the pan. That fish was a lot of fun to fight on my low-profile el-cheapo baitcaster; a lot better than that stupid lost sauger that I’m not bitter about.

And then I let that pike slobber all over my carpet because I was paranoid he’d be lost too.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Blade bite is HOT.

Got 5 on first 6 casts pitching a blade yesterday. Rest of evening slightly slower… That or I didn’t want to rub it in too much.

Wednesday in the blowing snow and rain I removed a limit in under 35 minutes.

Been crazy fast action and totally entertaining.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Nice reports fellas. woot

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Got 5 on first 6 casts pitching a blade yesterday. Rest of evening slightly slower… That or I didn’t want to rub it in too much.

Oh come on, rub it in! I know you earn it with an awful lot of time on the water.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

FBRM, that sounds like a FUN way to start the outing! Nice work.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.