Re-Wire/Elec Panel

• MnPat1

If your a licensed contractor why are you asking building questions on a fishing site?

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Was an electrical question, of which I am not licensed in. Wasn’t aware of your rule to not ask pertaining questions in the general discussion forum of this site.

A 2nd master electrician just left. yes, old disconnected wire can be left in walls, and, there is no need for me to open any walls as work will be fished down from the attic.

Charles

Was an electrical question, of which I am not licensed in. Wasn’t aware of your rule to not ask pertaining questions in the general discussion forum of this site.

A 2nd master electrician just left. yes, old disconnected wire can be left in walls, and, there is no need for me to open any walls as work will be fished down from the attic.

Nice! simple little job then, since no walls really have to open.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Exactly… still spendy @ 10k but is what it is, must be done. Everything will be brought to code, smoke/co detectors hard wired in, bath ceiling fan installed, new everything.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

How long does a job like this take, and how much are the ‘parts’?

I don’t think 10k sounds outlandish, my brother’s old house was an electrical disaster, they had a couple electricians come in and they said it was going to be closer to 20k for that job, unless he opened up all the walls and did a bunch of that type of work for them.

Even if the new box and materials is only $1000 of that $10k, $10k doesn’t go super far at $100/hour or whatever they charge. I’d look at it that way. If they can come in and do the job in a day, sure, that seems excessive. But if it’s an 80 hour job(or 40 hours with an apprentice or two along), that doesn’t seem that crazy.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

At least 2 full days & probably into the 3rd. They’ll have 3 guys here. The kitchen alone will be just over 3k.

This guy today said he just quoted on an old 3 story house that has knob & tube, at 35k.

Deleted

Radon system being installed in a week

Hokus Pokus!

Never convince me that this is worth spending $ on.

I got an air exchanger for
    $1000 installed.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Having radon installed next week. For the cost, to me, no brainer. Reverses the chimney effect of a house, draws & removes a lot of odors/moisture/radon down through the slab & out. Potentially removing 5-8 gallons of moisture per day, basement odor/radon in the house…. $1500 bucks I’ll spend without batting an eye..

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Radon ventilation is a scam started by the EPA. Radon has not been linked to lung cancer other than people working in uranium mines. There are studies showing low doses of radon actually prevent lung cancer.

Radon vents are good at removing moisture from basements.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

A long time friend, a realtor of 40yrs, says the same about radon, a hyped up bunch of BS. What sold me is the moisture & odor removal due to reversing the air flow down & out. Fortunately this place doesn’t show a lot of water signs in the basement but there is some, and the previous owners had dogs that lived in the basement when indoors.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I thought everybody had a garage and a welder…. maybe not. chased

220 anything and the amps disappear quick. If Wally ever wants saws or a welder, I would suggest higher than a 100 amp panel.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

To anyone here licensed as a residential electrician…

{clipped}

How much of a DIY are you?
    I’d suggest draw up a plan of the house and a wiring diagram.
    Have the Electrician look at it and make any recommended changes, and ask for a price of you running all wiring, installing boxes and wiring outlets (time consuming work).
    Have him price installing Panel and making connections to panel and signing off with Electrical Inspector or you can be responsible for Electric Inspection. (I have done this before)

If you have the time vs cash.

Good Luck

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Good advice…
    Can do everything other than the main panel. Have decided to use the 2nd electrical company that came out, and having them do it all. I’ve so much going on that the time doing it myself, overrides so I’ll pay to have it done.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The reason 150amp or 200 amp services were used back in the day were because of electric heat. When Xcel figures transformers for houses they figure 40 amps per house and put 4 houses on 1 transformer. And before you ask I am a licensed electrician and have been for 33 years.

Totally true.

Power consumption on lighting and other key items has dropped dramatically in the past decade. Refrigerators now use less than half the power that the old 1970s/80s models did.

We replaced with 100 amp (from a 60 amp breaker box circa 1937). Cost was about $4000 back 15 years ago.

Unless you’re going to be running your arc welder AND your 50 gallon 25 HP air compressor AND jump starting your personal Boeing 747 at the same time, I can’t figure why anyone would need 200 amps.

Grouse

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Thanks Grouse, that made me laugh!!! I’ve none of that, can weld but don’t.. Oh poop, secret service is asking I board now????

Charles

rtunately this place doesn’t show a lot of water signs in the basement but there is some, and the previous owners had dogs that lived in the basement when indoors.

I/Could justify in a dedicate work shop. Especially in a wood shop some of those machines take a stupid amount of power.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Especially in a wood shop some of those machines take a stupid amount of power.

True, but how often do your run your 240 V cabinet saw and your 24-inch planer both at the same time? Unless you’re running a cabinet making business with 2 employees out of your home, I can’t see what combination of high amp draw machines a single guy working would have to run simultaneously to run out of juice at even 150 amps. A dust collector draws next to nothing.

You’d really have to get up into welding equipment AND some other amp-pig tool that has to run at the same time. I suppose you could be out there welding in your shop while dual central air units kick out 2 billion BTUs to keep your shop a comfortable 40 degress cool…

Grouse

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles wrote:</div>
    Especially in a wood shop some of those machines take a stupid amount of power.

True, but how often do your run your 240 V cabinet saw and your 24-inch planer both at the same time? Unless you’re running a cabinet making business with 2 employees out of your home, I can’t see what combination of high amp draw machines a single guy working would have to run simultaneously to run out of juice at even 150 amps. A dust collector draws next to nothing.

You’d really have to get up into welding equipment AND some other amp-pig tool that has to run at the same time. I suppose you could be out there welding in your shop while dual central air units kick out 2 billion BTUs to keep your shop a comfortable 40 degress cool…

Grouse

True, there was a guys house up in Isanti I went to get something. The guy had a few custom wood milling/profile machines from Europe, he had to pay for a 10 mile run of 3 phase.

tangler
    Inactive

You guys are totally forgetting to factor in the hot tub.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

True, there was a guys house up in Isanti I went to get something. The guy had a few custom wood milling/profile machines from Europe, he had to pay for a 10 mile run of 3 phase.
    [/quote]

Wow, did he say what that cost him?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally true. He could be sitting in the hot tub while arc welding to kill time while his 747 was being jump started…

Grouse

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tangler wrote:</div>

Totally true. He could be sitting in the hot tub while arc welding to kill time while his 747 was being jump started…

Grouse

…and admiring a Christmas light display of Griswoldian proportions.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have too much power… said no one ever…. doah

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.