Rattle reel line tangle

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I have been using rattle reels consistently for the first time this year – is there a trick to avoiding birds nests with the line? Each fish I catch takes 10min to sort out the fiasco of knots, or i have to just cut my leader and re-tie it. Using 50# rattle reel line with a mono leader.

I think I heard something about using fly line? I also heard about wrapping a poles line around an empty rattle with an open bail but I’m not wanting to use that much floor space yet.

Red Eye

I use the nylon tip up line with a 3 foot leader of floro. Never had much of a problem.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Flyline of assorted colors. No more tangles.

MNdrifter

waytogo

It’s essential with kids. Most bait shops sell hand coils of the stuff for 3-5$/coil. Only problem I have with the stuff is don’t sinch bobber stops down too much. Or else they are permanently set to that depth. bawling

Timmy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>
    </blockquote
    waytogo

It’s essential with kids. Most bait shops sell hand coils of the stuff for 3-5$/coil. Only problem I have with the stuff is don’t sinch bobber stops down too much. Or else they are permanently set to that depth. bawling

X2 on the flyline. It works wonderfully. For line markers, I just use those little tip-up line markers that look like a little bobber.

munchy
    NULL

waytogo

X3

And for a line marker I just tie a quick overhand loop knot where I need it. Stays put and not too terribly bad getting it untied.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Use rubber bands for bobber stops

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Like others said fly line all the way. I use an ice buster bobber to mark the spot. Holds really good on fly line.

Attachments:
    1. fly-line.png

Smackem33

waytogo

I just use ice buster bobbers no slip knot just wrap the fly line twice around the clip for the desired depth

watisituya
    North Metro

I use tiny split shots instead of bobber stops.

trophybucs

We use a rod and reel on a Finicky Fooler tip-up in place of rattle reels and hook a bell on the flag in the sleeper shack.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.