Rapala Pro rain gear

• 3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I need a pair of bibs, and I’ve been looking for a year and still can’t figure out what to buy. The biggest problem I have is that I’m not a chemist and all these companies have their own names for their waterproofing stuff. I see the Rapala Pro at that $199 price point brags about a three layer waterproofing. Does anyone know if the three layer waterproofing on Rapala raingear is the same or similar to Gore-Tex? If it’s not the same as 3 layer Gore-Tex, which seems to be really the only one that works at a huge cost why not just buy the 2 layer stuff? I did see the post from not too long ago about raingear but not a lot of comments on the new Rapala stuff anywhere.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you want stuff that works call a few guides in your area. They use the stuff early in the day to stay warm and all day long to stay dry.

We all know about Guide Wear, Bass Pro 100 mph I have heard is good. I have a Sims jacket thats warm & dry. No clue about the Rapala or Blackfish stuff.

Let us know what you end up with.

AK Guy

I’ve got lots of different brands of rain gear and use them in different situations. My most recent purchase was Frogg Toggs Pilot series. I’m impressed with them (and the price point).

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I got a deal on it last year. Haven’t had it in a torrential down pour yet. So far it’s been good at keeping me dry and not hot either.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Thanks guys, anyone know anything about the waterproofing?

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Here is part of the problem….Last year during the open water fishing season…we rarely had rain. I have a brand new set of Rapala Pro Rainwear and report I did not have to wear rain gear for the entire fishing/guiding season last year.. Pretty crazy

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks guys, anyone know anything about the waterproofing?

Taslan is the waterproof fabric used in the Rapala rain suit. If you Google it you’ll have plenty of detail regarding the waterproofing to read through.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here is part of the problem….Last year during the open water fishing season…we rarely had rain. I have a brand new set of Rapala Pro Rainwear and report I did not have to wear rain gear for the entire fishing/guiding season last year.. Pretty crazy

My experience last year was similar. Outside of some very rough boat rides there wasn’t much opportunity to test rain gear. This spring has been the opposite. We’ve fished in a couple all day soakers already and showers have been common.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.