Ranger/Yamaha Tiller Steer Pump Issues

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I had my Mertens Enginesteer power unit stop working this week. First it started to squeal intermittently, so I checked the oil level. I added some and it seemed to stop but then started again. Now the pump just stopped and I noticed the pressure tank next to the pump has a cracked top and is leaking. Not sure how to go about repairing or replacing this.

No steering on a 150 tiller is a bit tough! Any recommendations on where to get a new pump or get it worked on? I know these aren’t made any more but all I need is a working power unit. I assume the cylinder and mechanism that does the steering is just fine. Does anyone have a manual for this unit? It used to be online but now it appears to be gone? Thanks for any advice!

Attachments:
    1. 20170711_073401.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I do own a Ranger but if it helps (in response to other threads) I make sure all my weeds are cleaned off my trailer before I leave the access!! rotflol

Any tiller guys with some power steering insight around?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I had some issues with the same system back about 6 years ago. I had to add fluid and bleed out the lines. I remember I emailed Tim Mertern and he sent me directions on how to fix it. I would try to get ahold of him. That’s the best insight I have haha.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I had some issues with the same system back about 6 years ago. I had to add fluid and bleed out the lines. I remember I emailed Tim Mertern and he sent me directions on how to fix it. I would try to get ahold of him. That’s the best insight I have haha.

Thanks!

Does anyone have Tim Merterns contact info? Feel free to PM me. Thanks

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Joe,
    There is a thread on Walleye Central under the Motors and Props section about the Mertens system. Someone posted a pic on filling up the oil reservoir along with instructions.The pic looked like it was taken from a manual. Maybe someone there may have more info for you.
    Ron.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Joe,
    I found this for you on Walleye Central.
    This might be a starting point for you –
    The poster referenced this is as Meretns #. 1-920-231-6751

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thank you. I’ll give it a try but they are out of business so it could be old. It’s worth a shot! Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Send a pm to HRG he will get you in touch with tim if thatnumber doesn’t work.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Could trade it in on a new Warrior with a Yamaha????

Hopefully you get a hold of Mertens and get it back running asap.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.