2011 Ranger Reata with 175 Verado

• whfishman
    Des Moines, IA

Picking up my dream boat next week. Very excited, my dealer is 3.5 hours away so would like to prop the boat as close to perfect as possible. My dealer will swap props until I hit the sweet spot but with the distance between us I’d like to get it close to start. He’s recommending a Rev4 21 pitch. 21 pitch seems high but I have no experience with this boat. Probably close to 50% fishing use and 50% tubing. Do a fair amount of trolling cranks also and will not have a kicker. Looking for good top speed but still ok for tubing and occasional skiing. Anyone have this rig and can share their experience? Or any recommendations?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I can’t comment on props but I see you’ve got a Verado. Be sure you’ve got the biggest Group battery you can get in there for your main battery. Also be sure to have enough banks on your charger so you can top off your starting battery when at home charging.

It’s a highly sophisticated outboard and because of that, it’s finicky as well.

Congrats on the new rig.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

I have a 150 Verado. I was told to not change props until after break in. and mercury kinda frowned on changing after that, they were shipped with recommended props.
    was my dealer full of bs.

igotone

Quote:

I have a 150 Verado. I was told to not change props until after break in. and mercury kinda frowned on changing after that, they were shipped with recommended props.

I would say YES

full of BS

I think motors over 100hp do not come with a prop

u should here more HERE on IDO

Maybe a 19″ Tempest would B good 4 all around

See if your dealer will let U take one along and ship back the other after U had a chance to try

shipping might B cheaper then driving, with gas prices

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I can see not changing until after the motor is broken in because things could improve once the motor is broken in. After break-in, though, there is no reason not to change if you’re not satisfied with the performance.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

A few years back, I ran that hull. I predict you will probably settle in with the 19P,especially under load conditions and hole shot. Enjoy your new ride & congrats!

whfishman
    Des Moines, IA

Thanks for the responses folks. I was kind of leaning towards a 19 pitch tempest.

hyperlite160

Congrats on the new toy! I have the glass Tyee186 with a 175 vrod. It’s a 3 blade 19P if I remember correctly. My hole shot is a bit slow compared to some others, but I can pull skiers or tubers just fine. I also do 52ish across the lake when I feel the need! the smartcraft gauges are sweet too if you get those. i can troll under 2mph depending on wind direction. gph is nice too. usually cruise around 35 at 8gph. the 52 turns it into 18gph really quickly though.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Congrats on the new toy! I have the glass Tyee186 with a 175 vrod. It’s a 3 blade 19P if I remember correctly. My hole shot is a bit slow compared to some others, but I can pull skiers or tubers just fine. I also do 52ish across the lake when I feel the need! the smartcraft gauges are sweet too if you get those. i can troll under 2mph depending on wind direction. gph is nice too. usually cruise around 35 at 8gph. the 52 turns it into 18gph really quickly though.

Carpenter

If you like the prop and sounds like not happy with the hole shot take it to a prop shop and have them put vent holes in it. When I had mine done they told me when I put the hammer down the engine should rev to about 4000 rpm`s ( which puts the rpm much closer to the power band ) and then the boat should catch up. My Crestliner 182TS the bow barely raises a foot and and half really comes out of the hole flat and quick.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.