Stereo

• ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Hey guys. I want to put a stereo in my Ranger1860 Angler. Would like to know where you mounted your speakers. Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks,Ironhead

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Go into the IDO member forums. Request admittance to the rate my rig group. Look under the Jon J’s post. He has a bunch of photos for his stereo system there.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Thanks Brian, I knew IDO would have the anwser..

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Thanks Brian, I knew IDO would have the anwser..

Might not be the right answer………. buy we always have something to say.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Some tips:

Most marine grade audio speakers are sold in the 6.5 inch size. (round) There are some oval 6×9’s out there. But I’d stick with the 6.5 inchers. Easy to replace if needed.

The hole for a 6.5 inch speaker is 5 inches. A 5 inch hole saw works slick for cutting out the openings.

I did quite a bit of price comparison, and no one can touch the pricing you get on Amazon. Hands down the best deals out there with great service to boot!

Don’t be afraid to go “Factory Refurbished” on the head unit. They will be good as new and you still get a full warranty.

Don’t skimp on wiring. Both speaker and power/ground. Also, solder every connection on the install.

Personally like Clarion. I liked the Clarion speakers I had but went with JBL on the upgrade because I have had such good luck with that brand over the last 20 years.

You will see a lot of Rangers with the stereo mounted under a lid like I have. Keeps the unit out of the weather and out of sight of thieves. Plus you can lock that compartment down any time its needed.

Good Luck on your install.

-J.

mojogunter

Too bad you live so far away from me, or you could use my 5″ hole saw I had to buy to install speakers in my ranger. Be ready to have itchy arms for a few days from the fiberglass. It is much easier to thread the wires if you have a long push rod.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is what I do to pull wires. I took an old “Retired” 8 foot long fiberglass trolling rod and cut off all of the line guides. Then just tape off the wire end to the pole tip and push the wires through any boat cavity. Works slick as the pole can bend it’s way through most openings.

-J.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Is that under one of your rear lids? Good idea using an old fishing pole.

I think my father in law has a 5 inch hole saw.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

It is a forward compartment. In front of side console.

-J.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

I have heard a roto zip works excellent as well.
    The question I have is has anyone mounted 6.5″ speakers in the hull near rider side and driver side at ankle level by seats? I believe this is where factory mounts generally are. Can someone tell me what is behind the glass in that location and what “not to do” if I put them there? I assume there is depth clearance in this location??

I like Jon’s idea but dont want to give up any compartment space if I dont have to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.