2012 -612 or 2012 -620

• huskerdu

all, currently running a 2004 621, 250 pro like the motor! – crank alot, but need need to rig in the spring/ Devils lake in the summer, Mille lacs in the wind, 3’+ waves open basin trolling- can I get by w/ a newer 620?

scottie56005

Sure. You can get by with a 17.75 pro v too

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

More pros will run a 620 rather than a 621. Prior to the 08′ hull change the 621 was a real “spoon bill wave spearing machine”, I assume thats why most ran the 620 then and have stuck with it. But now since the hull change running with waves is much easier.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

The new 620 is actually 5 inches longer in length compared to the 2004 620. The 620 from 2004 was 19’10” and the new 620 is 20’3″.

I have a 2002 620 and have fished Mille Lacs, Winni, Leech, Bays De Noc and main basin Green bay and have been in 620s on Devils and Erie numerous times.
    620 is an awesome boat but mother nature still rules the roost gotta be smart about it in big waves or just stay on shore all together.

I have had mine in 7 footers on Greenbay which really aren’t that bad since they are spaced out more than lakes like Mille Lacs and Winni. I have been in some NASTY stuff on those 2 bodies of water too and the boat handled it like a champ.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

If you are really worried about length. Skeeter is releasing its new 22′ version this winter. WX2190

I would think you would be satisfied with either model.

ted-merdan

I am not disagreeing with the info above but will offer a my experiences as another perspective.

My belief is that most pros run the 620’s as they are faster with the max hp on the boats vs the 621’s. The E-TEC HO and the Pro XS are higher HP motors and push the 620’s into the low 60 mph range vs the 621’s which are mid 50 mph with those same outboards. FLW only opened up its HP restriction rules in ~2009 so guys running the 621’s are now able to mount a 300 on the back.

With that I ran 4 or 5 621’s, 2 – 620’s and 1 – 619 during my stint on tour. From my experience I liked the 621 the best but for the events we fished on a yearly basis as they were more trolling and for that I liked the larger boat. I do pack my boat very full so the additional space was always used. I am not in agreement that these hulls are all wave spearing machines. Have I speared waves in my day – absolutely! 95% of the time though it’s when I wasn’t paying attention and driving the conditions I was faced with. I am confident I can take any boat, point the bow into some good waves, cover my eyes and punch the throttle and soak the carped thoroughly…

I have fished several days in the new hull (post 2008) 621 and am absolutely impressed. I also know the 2008 and later 620’s are equally great boats and the hull changes/interior layouts to both made an already very good boat significantly better!

Now to completely convolute the whole picture – when I was done with my tour days, I picked up a used 620T paired with a 150 E-TEC tiller + the merten hydraulic steering. For how I fish now it’s great boat with the wide open layout for my family with the small kids and my two labs.

Either boat will be great for you – you may want to consider a few fringe details to help you decide:
    – garage space?
    – potential fuel mileage on you tow vehicle (larger boat will weigh more)?
    – how much will you fish precisely (rig, jig, backtroll spinners, cast/pitch) vs troll (cranks and spinners) as there is a difference in having more boat to controll and distract from your fishing?
    – budget? – obviously the larger boat with bigger motors will increase the cost and this can be significant.

Good luck and I am happy to help you if you have further questions. Either way this is a very fun and exciting decision you get to make!

-ted

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.