Ranger 618T Questions

• Palerider77

I am thinking about upgrading to a 618t. Could someone tell me where the battery storage is on this boat? It is not clear on Ranger’s website where it is. Also, please share pro’s and con’s and how you have yours rigged. I was thinking yamaha power as I have been very happy with the one on my current boat. Thanks!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

When Ranger Pro Ted Merdan checks in, I’m sure he can give you some answers.

Pretty sure the batteries are located under the splashwell. If I remember corectly, there is easily room for 3 in there. (Was looking at the new 618T at the boat show. Not sure about older models.)

-J.

danno
    Central MN

I thought that in 2010 they moved the battery storage to the bow area? Maybe that was just talk or wishful thinking as they really should be up front. I have a 2007 and they are under the splashwell with room for four, if needed.

Got a 90 Yamaha on the back and no complaints. If you decide to buy one make sure to get the tiller handle with the idle control. Makes trolling a dream.

crazy cooter

Batteries are still in the back under the splashwell.Only the 620t did they move the batteries to the front

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Batteries are still in the back under the splashwell.Only the 620t did they move the batteries to the front

Welcome to In-Depth!

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

Ah. Thanks. I thought that I read/saw that somewhere. Too bad the 618’s didn’t benefit from that change. I sure wouldn’t call it a deal breaker by any means, but it would help the performance a bit.

Palerider77

Thank you for the info! The fuel tank is up front and that helps balance right?

gdickmeyer
    millelacs

Yep and you will have the best performing boat on the planet! hands down. I have been in every boat amaginable and ranger tops the list. IMHO i would go with the 620t if you can swing it.The extra lenght is a huge advantage in many ways

ted-merdan

Sorry for the delay – work’s been in the way of lots of things lately.

On the newer 618T’s the batteries are under the back carpeted storage hatches on both sides of the engine new 618T layout. I didn’t like the carpeting as they will get wet (it’s a tiller) and then you have more weight to overcome. On the older (prior to ’09) models the batteries were under the back rigging area – just below the motor handle.

Kurt Turner is the guy to talk to on this. He owns a 618T and has put it through the paces. He’s had wheel boats prior when he was fishing tour events so can give you a good pro/con on this. He should also be able to weigh in why he chose the 618T vs. the 620T. Here’s an excellent feedback he provided on the 618T on another site 618T thread.

If you want to discuss 620T’s or a demo ride let me know – that is what I am currently running – but I am in an ’06 hull w/ a 150 E-TEC. I didn’t like the full layout of the newer 620T’s and was skeptical of the new hull in ’09 (batteries in the bow could potentially have a negative effect on speed as you need to overcome the weight w/ bow lift and could be an issue in larger waves) which drove my purchase of an older hull that still had the 150 rating.

Specifically on the 618T I want you to get a test ride and pay attention to your motor choice. Everyone would appreciate a 115 hp rating with a hydralic steering sytem on this hull, however a direct injected two stroke with the extra torque for a better hole shot will clearly show it’s benefits when you have a full load of fuel, gear and fishermen. Additionally look at keeping to a 24V system to eliminate another battery weight along with the $ savings of a battery and 24V motors are usually less expensive.

If I can be of any further help don’t hesitate to reach out to me via PM or [email protected].

Palerider77

Thanks to all for the great information. I currently have a wheel boat, and I think that a tiller would be a better deal. I am still flip flopping between a 618 and a 620, but I am thinking that the bigger boat with more ponies and range would be a better deal overall. Now I just have to figure out what colors.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.