Random Thought of the day, LCD vs Flashers.

• Charles

Another thread popped into my head about this.

Do you think in 10-20 years a modern day LCD fish finder will last and still be functional vs a flasher works and might just need the brushes cleaned?

I mean vexilar Fl8 is what 15 years old? Marcum vx1 must be up there also.

uninc4709

no, but I think it will be due to the technology just like smart phones.

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles wrote:</div>
    I mean vexilar Fl8 is what 15 years old?

Closer to 40.

LOL I don’t see a LCD units working that long.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Funny you bring this up as I was just discussing this with a group of friends last night. We were comparing the crispness of a Gen 1 Helix vs a Gen 2 or 3. While the LCD units do offer more options than a standard flasher the technology has a tendency to eat itself. Like another poster mentioned similar to phones. Most phones can only take so many updates before they start to really get over loaded. In contrary a flasher will mechanically keep running for a long time.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

We live in a world where we constantly want something new and better. Longevity is pretty low on the list of priorities when deciding what to buy.

If a company isn’t growing, it’s dying. They don’t want their products to last forever, it doesn’t generate repeat business.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Longevity is pretty low on the list of priorities when deciding what to buy.

…said no one ever. Lol. But seriously, that’s basically the number 1 thing I look for when buying most anything.

If a company isn’t growing, it’s dying. They don’t want their products to last forever, it doesn’t generate repeat business.

That’s a bold strategy cotton. I’m surprised Honda hasn’t picked up on this yet…

Digital sometimes does too much. Vexilar relies on a clean signal path in and out. It’s akin to hi-fi audiophile stuff, analog records and such. Digital has filtering and variable this and that which sometimes causes you to lose stuff in the translation. That’s why I hated my lx7 for missing so much for so long and went back to vex years ago. Same applies to other bigger graph companies too. But yeah, the Garmin is the shizzle, DSP and all.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That’s a bold strategy cotton. I’m surprised Honda hasn’t picked up on this yet…

Are we talking about fishing electronics or engines?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

Are we talking about fishing electronics or engines?

I was talking about everything, including fishing electronics…But why would one be different?

buck-slayer

I have an FL8 that’s around 25 yrs old makes a little noise when you first turn it on but that goes away and works just fine for me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was talking about everything, including fishing electronics…But why would one be different?

It adds no value to this conversation to have to pint that out to you. You seem to be the genius. Figure it out. Jeez.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

We live in a world where we constantly want something new and better. Longevity is pretty low on the list of priorities when deciding what to buy.

I agree this is mostly true, however I still have my original FL-8 from 20 years ago and added another about 10 years ago. Both still work just like they did out of the box.

I’ve contemplated over the years upgrading, but always conclude “why spend more money to replace something that works just fine and has served me so well over the years”. That money always went to other fishing upgrades.

I know, there’s folks out there that equate the FL-8 to using an abacus to calculate math. doah

I think Vexilar has been the exception compared to most other “growth” oriented companies. They’re still around doing what they basically did 30-40 years ago.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I dont think that flashers are going anywhere until the new stuff can get down to the prices of flashers.

B-man
    tangler
    Inactive

I dont think that flashers are going anywhere until the new stuff can get down to the prices of flashers.

An fl-8 is what, $260?

I bought my hook2 5ts for less than that on clearance last year. Another $60 for the ice ducer and I have gps, built in maps, chirp sonar, DI, SI, and flasher all in one unit that I use year round.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

well color me shocked shock

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

In 10 years flashers will be as common as a gas auger.

Don’t you mean a gas truck? devil

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

You seem to be the genius.

Thank you!

And it does add to the conversation. People like quality stuff that lasts. Hence why so many people love Vexilar. Only time will tell but the day vexilar announces the discontinuation if the FL8, is the day they make record sales.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

An fl-8 is what, $260?

I bought my hook2 5ts for less than that on clearance last year. Another $60 for the ice ducer and I have gps, built in maps, chirp sonar, DI, SI, and flasher all in one unit that I use year round.

Lot of extra goodies on that, but do you think you’ll still be using that unit 20 years from now? whistling

So much is “disposable” now, few things last a generation…but when you find one, might be worth hanging on to.

I’ve got 20 years already on an FL-8 and I may get another 20 years…but I’ll probably be dead by then. neutral

tangler
    Inactive

Definitely not!

It’s really apples to avocados— fl-8 does one thing, does it well, hasn’t changed in years, and lasts forever. If you just want that one thing, why look further?

I actually had an fl8 previous to this unit. I just happened to find myself needing a new boat unit and the prospect of getting a year-round unit was appealing. If I get 3 years out of it I’ll be happy. That’s like $9/month for that span. Less than Netflix woot

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Definitely not!

It’s really apples to avocados— fl-8 does one thing, does it well, hasn’t changed in years, and lasts forever. If you just want that one thing, why look further?

I actually had an fl8 previous to this unit. I just happened to find myself needing a new boat unit and the prospect of getting a year-round unit was appealing. If I get 3 years out of it I’ll be happy. That’s like $9/month for that span. Less than Netflix woot

Yes I know…sometimes I just like to play the “old curmudgeon” bragging about “old timey” contraptions that are just as good or better than you kids with your “new-fangled” toys. lol

In reality, I get it though. As none of us look exactly alike, our preferences, needs, (or desires) are never precisely like the next “fool”. wink

I have boat with all the goodies that would come with a single multi seasonal unit…you’re right, apples to avocados!

And the wheel in the sky keeps on turning… peace

milemark_714

I replaced this contraption with a Hondex FL-8.That thing probably weighed more than a current Garman livescope setup.If you take a Hondex/SiTex/Micronar unit and put it next to the current FL-8,there really isn’t much of a difference other than IR.
    But if you take a Humminbird LCR4-ID from that era,and put it next to a Helix 7 it is very laughable.With those HUGE pixels,or blocks as I used to say.

Attachments:
    1. img059.jpg

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Where I see the huge difference is the DI when algae blooms are going or just a lot of clutter with DI you can adjust and pic fish out where the flashers cannot.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Apples and oranges but IMO the traditional flasher serves a unique purpose. As others have said they do one thing extremely well and for my money I’ll take something that I never have to worry about and I can beat the $h!t outta and know it will keep on kicking. Let’s be honest – when ice fishing a lot of us are packing up cold, in a hurry, possibly had a few beers, etc. It’s really nice just throwing the Vex around and not worrying a bit. I specifically purchased a FL8 for this reason. I also have a friend’s that he got from his grandfather. That thing’s from the Clinton administration! I have other fish finders for other purposes or applications. My $0.02

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I bought my boat used in 2014 and rigged it up with all new electronics. The sonar was Lowrance HDS gen2. Top of the line at the time.

Lowrance stopped supporting the gen 2 units at least 3 years ago and won’t even repair them.

Im still using the gen 2 HDS units and I’m also using them on the ice. I don’t believe it performs nearly as well as my FLX28 on the ice and likely isn’t quite as good as the newer Garmins and Humminbirds. I worry that a long bumpy ride in the sled of my otter will someday take this thing out. I don’t believe they were made with this kind of abuse in mind.

Vex on the other hand is still accepting 20+ year old flasher for repair.

Something to think about.

hnd

the fact that ice fishing is a stationary sport is why the mechanical flasher has lasted as long as it has. Most of the bells and whistles of a traditional 2d finder is lost on sitting still. historical charting is not really that useful, GPS options exists elsewhere.

obviously products like panoptix are amazing and totally different but it also has quite a price tag.

B-man

I used to be a diehard Vex owner like a lot of you guys, in fact I still am.

I even cut my teeth on a Hondex with a homemade clamp for the transducer waytogo

You guys remember when they had fish alarms? That was actually kind of a neat feature.

Now in 2020 here is a real life head to head comparison of my Garmin and my Vexilar.

Notice anything different with the Vex? )

New electronics can taking a beating too. When was the last time you heard of someone’s graph frying out from pounding through waves???? Big water is hard on stuff, but the electronics are up to the task.

There’s nothing wrong with a mechanical flasher, but there’s so many more features available now, not to mention at the same price. My wife still uses my Bird 45, she prefers it over the Fl-18 (bigger screen, movable zoom, no sun shield, digital depth readout, auto mode). The Garmin is heads above both flashers.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200104_165807.jpg

2. IMG_20200104_165802.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You guys remember when they had fish alarms? That was actually kind of a neat feature.

My micronar has it. It actually was a great feature.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.