Rainy lake Cabin Rentals

• scottaheller

Does anyone know of any cabin rentals available out on the lake? As we fished around Kempton Channel and the surrounding areas we notices seval cabins on islands. Some appear to be in good shape and others not so much but we are kicking around the idea of hanging up our tents if we could find a cabin to rent instead.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Very few if any within the park. Any that are there were grandfathered in and I don’t believe can be sold (not sure about rented/AirBnB’d). Others are historic sites that I don’t believe you can stay at, we checked out Camp Marston (Google it for a fairly interesting story) on our trip last week.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I was up on Rainy several years ago and talking to a cabin owner while on the lake. He said the Park Service was buying all the cabin property that they could. You could only sell to the Park Service and after you sold it you had like a 5 year window to abandon the property. Not sure on the time lines or years anymore and maybe he was making it up. My understanding all the PS wanted was Historical Sites left on Rainy especially on the islands. Don’t know if that’s true or not.

Red Eye

Talked to a cabin/island owner up there last year. He said when the park came to be they tried driving all the private guys out with scare tactics. The ones that held out sued and were able to keep what they had. Can only be passed down in the family or sold to park service. He bought the island dirt cheap then the park didn’t want to pay what it was worth. Judge said they had to pay up and park changed their mind and left them keep the property. Lot of people sold out cause they thought the park was just gonna take it anyway.

scottaheller

Well that stinks! I guess I will need to get a better air mattress and tent then! Thanks guys!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.