Rain gear suggestions.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Looking to replace my rain gear, currently have both a mountain hardware set that I’ve loved, and I gave my son my marmot set. They both are 7 or 8 years old. I’m looking at buying a new set one of these days and curious what’s a good set for under 300ish bucks that will last. When I bought the other sets I found way better deals shopping backpacking and hiking rain suits over fishing rain gear. Any one have a reasonable priced suit they recommend?

mojo

Check out REI.com especially the clearance stuff.
    I’ve tried a wide variety of products in my time, and I still have found nothing better than real Gore-Tex at keeping me dry.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Both Marmot and Arc’teryx have been very good for me. Agree with Goretex.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I havnt used it a ton yet but so far i really like the sims challenger uninsulated coat and bibs. Got them for a good deal at end of season last year.

Reef W

Been really happy and dry with Carhartt Shoreline jacket and bibs.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

sims challenger uninsulated coat and bibs.

I like these too. They may not be within his price range tho. They are never on sale or clearance from what I’ve seen.

tswoboda

Check out Columbia Outdry Extreme – the fabric is perfect IMO. It’s like a hybrid between PVC and gore-tex. Looks more like PVC but wears more like goretex and isn’t clammy like PVC. It’s kinda stiff and crinkly but 100% waterproof and doesn’t wet out or need special washing and reviving like gore-tex.

The only issue is Columbia is a trash company with the weirdest fitting jackets and completely inconsistent. They also change up jacket models like every 6 months and most of them make no sense at all with weird fits or pockets or super uncomfortable. But the Outdry Extreme fabric is really great so if you can find some in stores to try on definitely check it out.

I have 1 Outdry jacket that’s like 10 years old and it’s still perfect. I have another that’s only a couple years old but I never wear it because it has the worst pit zips every and just insanely uncomfortable.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Take a look at Duluth Trading – I have a set of their Stormwalls and I like it for the price point.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Love my Blackfish raingear. A set may be a little over your 300.00 price range, But if you find a sale or get a discount code you may end up close

Dave maze
    Isanti

Simms challenger un-insulated. Spend a few bucks more for some quality.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Youbetcha wrote:</div>
    sims challenger uninsulated coat and bibs.

I like these too. They may not be within his price range tho. They are never on sale or clearance from what I’ve seen.

They were selling the set for $140 for each piece last season around september.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They were selling the set for $140 for each piece last season around september.

Wow, that’s a steal.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I’ve been lucky enough to work in the outdoor apparel industry for over 25 years. In that time I’ve had a LOT of rainwear and boots. Simms, Huk, Striker, Helly Hansen, etc. My 2 favorite suits that I’ve owned by far are still the Cabela’s Guidewear. Dry, comfortable, and priced pretty well.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I got a Rapala set on sale last year. Not expecting Sims quality but they are comfortable and feel like a good quality set. Have not had the chance to really put them to the test yet. They fit your budget for sure. Got my set at Thorne Bros.

10klakes

I like my frog tog jacket for the cheap price and working.
    I have minimal on the water testing so far, but the fxr rain gear is super nice and on par with simmms. It’s affordable if you can find a code or something.

Prior lake hooksetters event should have some good discounts, and supports the youth angler scene.

CBMN
    North Metro

Bearcat,

My vote would be Simms, Blackfish and Striker in that order.

I have Simms, blackfish and guideware at my house if you’re interested in comparing. I won’t be buying any more Guideware any time soon but happy with Simms and Blackfish.

You might be able too get a Blackfish discount if you look around also.

Umy
    South Metro

I have Simms and Guidewear – love em both -NEVER gotten wet through.
    Last fall on Rainy it rained Fri-Sun and I fished all day each day. Hung them up inside – air dried and ready to go the next morning.
    My guidewear is 4 years old, Simms 5 ( its starting to lose some of its dryness power)

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I like my Carhartt rain gear. I’ve had them 6-7 years and have worn them a lot. I think I paid $379 back then, half the price of the Simms or Cabelas Guide Wear stuff.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Rapala has some that i’m looking at and they are on sale under $300. Decent reviews.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Rapala has some that i’m looking at and they are on sale under $300. Decent reviews.

I would most definitely look at marmot or mountain hardwear long before any Rapala gear.

Deuces

There’s so many online marketplaces for used gear, and discount sites. Steep and cheap is pretty good.

I agree with hiking gear being solid for fishing. If anyone is going to want quality it’s the granola crowd traversing canyons and everything else out there.

Can be hit or miss on sizes but can really strike up some savings. Fishing clothing gear afaic is overpriced and I don’t need a quarter of the features they want to advertise.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There’s so many online marketplaces for used gear, and discount sites. Steep and cheap is pretty good.

I agree with hiking gear being solid for fishing. If anyone is going to want quality it’s the granola crowd traversing canyons and everything else out there.

Can be hit or miss on sizes but can really strike up some savings. Fishing clothing gear afaic is overpriced and I don’t need a quarter of the features they want to advertise.

Agreed 10x. Fishing advertised gear is 90 percent of the time way overvalued. That’s why I won’t pay retail

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Does a heavy duty garbage bag with the head and arms cut out still count as rain gear?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Does a heavy duty garbage bag with the head and arms cut out still count as rain gear?

When I was a kid that’s all we got

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Sounds like a custom made poncho to me!

wkw

And we had Wonder bread sacks to water proof our boots.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

And we had Wonder bread sacks for water proof our boots.

dang I remember that too!!!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have a set of Grundens and it is awesome…it’s also what most of the commercial guys that rely on their gear and work it hard wear everyday. I think my set was around $250 for the set. Go with the traditional cut, the way it is cut is how it breathes.

FinnyDinDin

When it comes to fishing and hunting clothing I think it’s worth the investment to buy high end. Being comfortable out in the elements is worth the upfront cost. Cry once buy once.

I’m still rocking a cabelas goretex rain jacket that is going on about 20 years because there is nothing wrong with it. That was back when cabelas made good stuff. I wouldn’t buy their brand anymore. I have Simms bibs. When my jacket gives up I’ll be buying simms. I have also been very happy with sitka waterfowl gear. I use it year round and it keeps you dry and warm in the nastiest of conditions.

Watch for deals. I would never pay full price for that stuff. I’ve got all my simms and sitka stuff marked down about half off.

hillhiker
    SE MN

My rain gear gets worn often for both work and pleasure. The Simm’s Challangers were great for the first couple years, and then I started getting very wet just like the other higher end rain gear I’ve owned over the years. I went back to the Carhartt Storm Defenders, but the heavyweights this go around, and couldn’t be happier. They’re a bit warm, but they’re holding up good. I would definitely recommend them, and they should be right around the price point you’re looking at.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.