Rack and pinion?

• GW

I need to order a new steering cable for my 1985 Tyee 5.3 and wondering if I should go with a new complete rack and pinion system. The steering is to stiff right now for my old beat up body, the cable is old. I use a 100hp Merc and a 9.9 Evinrude kicker tied together with linkage. Both motors do turn easy with the cable unbolted and the linkage between the two isn’t causing any extra stress. I checked the price on hydraulic and I don’t want to go that route.

Thanks for any info.

GW

saddletramp

If you don’t have no feedback steering, now is the time to upgrade! If you have nfb, I think k you’ll have to drop the steering box out to change the cable. I put it in my 1990 tyee,
    , but I don’t remember what had to be done.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Not sure how much it will be to replace your current setup but hydraulic for that is less than 500, I just did my boat not too long ago. If you are running in sub-zero temps, hyd. Has a much less chance of freezing up. You can have the setup I took off my boat if it works for you and you want to come and pick it up.

GW

Well, $500 isn’t bad for “easy” steering. I’m kind of unlearned as far as in depth boat steering goes so I’m not sure if this (see pic) is NFB steering. It is R & P. I think I’d just replace everything and start fresh either way.

GW

saddletramp

If you can push on the motor and make the steering wheel turn,it’s not nfb.

GW

Yes, I can move it with the motor. Thanks for that info.

Not sure how much it will be to replace your current setup but hydraulic for that is less than 500, I just did my boat not too long ago. If you are running in sub-zero temps, hyd. Has a much less chance of freezing up. You can have the setup I took off my boat if it works for you and you want to come and pick it up.

That would be a haul for me, I’m about 80 miles north of Duluth. I need a 15′ setup.

Thanks for all the input. I was out looking for walters this evening and my starter finally went on my 100hp Merc. It’s a 1990 so a bear to start sometimes when the starter “is” good. Good thing for kickers. I’ve contemplated an upgrade to FI but the price isn’t a hun a horse anymore.

GW

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Have no first hand experience but have read plenty of reviews of guys complaining no feedback was tougher to turn than normal. No feedback is just that, it helps to not have the motor give to much torque back to steering wheel, not necessarily make it easier.

I’d personally opt for regular system. New will make a world of difference when you adjust trim to where it needs to be as well while motoring.

100hp isnt all that large of motor for an expensive hydraulic system imo. Certainly great to have but overkill.

Edit: I see now you have an inboard correct, 5.3? I do not know of steering reviews or if they’re similar systems as OBs so I retract my statement.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.