Question on disappearing ice.

• michael keehr

Hi all I have been fishing a small river in central mn for the last 2 weeks when I went out today the spot I have been fishing that has had a solid 9 inches only had 3 inches of ice. My guess is carp may have moved into the area and are eating the ice from underneath. I did not catch anything today and had been doing ok previous did not even mark a fish today. Any other thoughts on what could cause such a dramatic change in ice thickness.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

River come up a bit and increased current?

michael keehr

There is no evidence of increase in water shorelines are still exactly where they were water depth identical as have not moved slip not on dead stick. I plan on going out again tommorow but will wIt till its light out

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Current is fickle. And small temp rises have an effect. Fish are not causing it.

Andrew Pansch

River ice changes every day and even hour. A little sun and warmer water hits the system. Take an ice cube and run water on it. Basically what happens with river ice. Unless you have consistently cold weather river ice should always be treated with care and respect.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

My guess is carp may have moved into the area and are eating the ice from underneath.

Never heard of fish eating ice before. Has anyone actually documented this behavior? I think someone is pulling your leg.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>michael keehr wrote:</div>
    My guess is carp may have moved into the area and are eating the ice from underneath.

Never heard of fish eating ice before. Has anyone actually documented this behavior? I think someone is pulling your leg.

I was surprised to notice that as well. Carp in my area don’t eat block ice but really prefer cubes.

Du dum chi tongue

michael keehr

When I said eating ice I meant eroding it from underneath I have seen this done on Clearwater lake once before in the spring where a large concentration of fish moved in under the ice and eroded it away.

michael keehr

Just got in the truck got 2 walleyes this morning and lost something heavy never has able to even turn it after about 5 minutes. Was only fishing 4 pound test and a light action rod. Ice was back to about 5 inches so put on about 1.5 since yesterday. I have fished this spot for years and have never seen the ice do this here.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

and lost something heavy never has able to even turn it after about 5 minutes.

Most likely one of those ice eating carp. I used to ice fish a backwater creek/channel and the carp were always hitting my white ice jigs. Fun to catch if you could get them in.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Current can increase without rise in water. Especially on dammed waters.

Even on non dammed rivers, if they feed into one they can experience the same as they’re connected. or if objects are moved/altered, like a slush pocket or ice jam that may have backed up flow.

Slush in current can move, alter current directions, increase/ decrease current.

Certainly schooling carp can erode ice, like increase in current.

Current does odd things, especially minutely.
    Have fun Michael

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I’ve fished a spot on the river and lost 2″ of ice on a day. Of course the thing I worry most is the standing water and the hole becomes a drain funnel. When an ice hole grows bigger, that 12″+ hole gets scary. LOL.

michael keehr

Well found out today why my ice disappeared there was a hay shed fire in the area and it was the closest water around I was told the farmer took his water wagon and pumped a ton of water out of the river just down stream from my spot a little ways. So I would guess this did infect increase current flow.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.