Question for walleye “pros”

• Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

This past weekend we were up in Alexandria area. One of the guys it’s his home lake and he’s very familiar with it. Water temps were 51. We just couldn’t seem to find the pods of fish we usually do. We did finally find them in 14 fow and they were stacked up, but wouldn’t hit anything we threw at them. We found them where weeds were green close to shore. They didn’t want live bait, cranks, jigging raps, rippin raps, swim baits, etc. We put a camera down to make sure they were walleye. Is it possible they were eating frogs? I’m asking just for in the future and if anyone has any suggestions. We were dumbfounded

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

How long did you target them? Maybe didn’t hit a feeding window?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

What type of live bait did you try?

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Last winter on 2 separate occasions I caught a 19-20” walleye with pretty good size frogs in their belly in a smaller lake near Stillwater, so yes, I suppose they could be eating frogs. Tons of other possibilities too though.

catmando
    wis

Put on a pair of waders, and be by that spot around sundown

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Sometimes fish just don’t “go”. I’d try to be there during prime time, evening/morning and see if you have better luck.

Lakes/spots turn on and off. I’ve also had times where I’ve found fish wadded up like that and they won’t go no matter what you try. Try to hit em during prime time, probably your best shot.

Also, maybe if the lake is real clear or it was calm, etc you have to back off them a touch and pitch to them? Obviously you would have to let them rest a bit before if you have already disturbed them.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I agree EPG! Thanks Steve, wish I would’ve thought of that

Deuces

Id find the pinch point adjacent to that area that would lead up to good shoreline structure when they transition at dusk and anchor up a cast away. Be ready with the rods rigged ready to throw everything at em for that magic time. Fall is tough like that.

Then troll those shorelines at night with the stickbaits. Shallower the better. Trim your motor up.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

You mentioned live bait, what kind? Try and 8″ redtail chubs? How about big plastics?

Fall is a good time to go way up in size and use some big baits.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.