Purchasing a firearm

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

It’s been some time since I have purchased a firearm, considering picking up a shotgun if I can find ammo to go with it. (Savage 220). What are the current rules, are they no something you cannot walk out the door with the same day?

Separate issue, anyone know why Blackhorn 209 hasn’t been available for the last year plus? I know Hodgdon bought them but I can’t imagine they are ending it.

Justin riegel

For a shotgun as long as you clear the background check you should be able to walk out that day with it. They could put you on a hold which then you would have to wait for a few days.

I use hotshots so no idea on the Blackhorn.

Gitchi Gummi

They could put you on a hold which then you would have to wait for a few days.

I just picked up a new shotgun last week from a place in Duluth. When they did the background check, they came back and said I was put on a hold which ended up lasting an extra day. They said that approximately 60-70% of people buying firearms from them lately were getting delayed/held up on the background check – I’m not sure if that is representative of other places. For the record, the worst thing on my record is a speeding ticket, so I was pretty surprised when I was told I couldn’t go home with it that day.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They said that approximately 60-70% of people buying firearms from them lately were getting delayed/held up on the background check – I’m not sure if that is representative of other places.

It has nothing to do with the retailer selling the gun. The FBI does the back ground check through the NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) and there isn’t enough of them to do it on the spot with the surge in firearms sales.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s been some time since I have purchased a firearm, considering picking up a shotgun if I can find ammo to go with it. (Savage 220). What are the current rules, are they no something you cannot walk out the door with the same day?

As others have said, a shotgun should be an in/background check/buy/out proposition for a buyer (assuming a clean background check, obviously).

If you want a slug gun for this season, better get on your horse and track one down quick-like.

As far as Blackhorn, well, there’s this thing called an “ammo panic” that’s been going on for over a year now… The problem likely isn’t demand for that powder, it’s that demand for OTHER powders has crowded out production of more niche powders as the powder makers go full-throttle on filling the biggest sellers first.

JEREMY
    BP

I bought 2 shotguns last month both took about 15 minutes.

Reef W

When you fill out the 4473 form it’s optional to put your social security number. I don’t know for sure that it makes a difference but two times I didn’t enter it and both those times I got delayed.

Gitchi Gummi

When you fill out the 4473 form it’s optional to put your social security number. I don’t know for sure that it makes a difference but two times I didn’t enter it and both those times I got delayed.

I entered mine and got delayed

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Worked in the firearms dept. at the Hermantown gander during college. Two of the biggest causes of getting the delay are ex-mil service and/or staffing on the NICS side. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, a lot of times during high demand periods, we would get a lot more delays as NICS just didn’t have the resources to process at the speed these checks were being submitted. Also, I had a lot of former mil guys get a delay due to the NICS personnel seeing whatever level of formerly having a security clearance and would take a little extra time to verify everything was kosher.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thanks guys, plans for this weekend went to crap but will still be watching. Not really needed for this year but want to get one for my boy to use it in a couple years and wouldn’t mine putting some miles on it myself first to know how it acts.

I will be sticking to my Accura unless I run out of blackhorn before I can get more (just cracked open my last bottle). I won’t shoot anything else through that rifle. But a full bottle should last about two years. Makes sense the ‘toilet paper hoarders’ on modern powder would be taking away from powders like blackhorn, would be a little strange if people were hoarding a black powder substitute.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I bought a Savage 220 about a month ago, congrats on finding one of those, I’ve been looking for awhile! I was probably in and out within 1 1/2-2 hours. Ammo, that was a different story. They didn’t have any that day at the Scheels I was at and I called last week when I was in the area and they still didn’t have any. I did get 3 boxes of Hornady at a different place last week.

Walleyeguy34

Just bought a new shotgun at Scheels this morning and was in and out under 1 hour

MNdrifter

Was at B and J Trapline in Darwin MN about 3 weeks ago, I seen they had 3 savage 220’s there. Might be worth a check if ones still there. I’ve seen a few hornaday slugs around in 12 gauge, not much in 20 gauge. I walked out at time of purchase with a new Remington 870 for the youngest boy!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.