Punta Cana Fishing Recommendations

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Looking to book a short fishing trip when we go to Punta Cana in January. Does anyone have anyone they’d like to recommend? Personally never fished in saltwater. Would prefer a trip where we’re not trolling or just holding a rod vertical jigging but I’m open to recommendations.

Was looking at a few small boats where we would be the only customers on board but I’m just not sure who to go with.

Thanks!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Was there a few years ago, had a boat chartered every day for mahi-mahi, but that time of year is always windy so we never made it out

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Gill,
    one thing I learned is when you find a boat and are negotiating make sure you negotiate the cost of a license and bait into the amount or they will surprise with that cost.

MnPat1

You can bring a rod and fish snook from shore. Bucktail jigs, swimbaits and jerkbaits should do the trick.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll be following this as we are going back in February. Went to PC for our honeymoon but no fishing. A catamaran trip to Saona Island was well worth it, if you’re looking for a day trip.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Once you get a good taste, saltwater fishing is just SO incredible. I’d be looking for some in-shore options which are much more interactive. Snook are a blast I would have to imagine snapper can be had as well. A jig and half a shrimp can catch a wide variety in the ocean. Never been to the DR specifically but I’d take Pats advice when it comes to the salt.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I’m no help with Punta Cana, but I’ll be heading to Puerto Vallarta the 3rd week in February and am looking for suggestions also.

Jason

I fished Puta Cana once. The resort had set it up and I don’t remember the name of the charter. It wasn’t cheap but they picked us up right at the beach front at the hotel. I just had to wade out to the boat which was sitting in approx 2.5′ of water. The fishing was good with lots of neat colored fish.

ThunderLund78

Yeah, keep options open on shallower trips as well. Like another poster said, it’s windy down there this time of year. We had a charter booked and the Captain cancelled because of the wind – and it has to be pretty bad for them to do that.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thanks for the input. I think I’m interested in nearshore shallow water fishing anyway.

I was looking at a couple charters that were like 24’ CC and we would be the only clients.

Does anyone have a recommended travel rod/reel combo for this type of fishing?

MnPat1

I’m no help with Punta Cana, but I’ll be heading to Puerto Vallarta the 3rd week in February and am looking for suggestions also.

Puerto Vallarta has plenty of wind all winter. If you can make it out Marla’s is the best option. They have some big boats and also a panga. Danny Gomez with dhamar sport fishing is also popular.
    It’s one of the best cow yellowfin tuna fisheries but I don’t think february is peak season. Should be some inshore opportunities for roosters and cuberas etc…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Wound up using Mixed Fishing Charter out of Cap Cana. Caught lots of sand tile fish in 120-200’. We trolled between fishing spots. Caught a few small grouper and one trigger fish. Pretty cool. Guide never let us get bored. Moved us after 10 min of inactivity. Beautiful day.

Sounds like I can potentially catch snook and jack from shore. May give it a try tonight or for sure tomorrow. Will post pics if infer something.

Attachments:
    1. 058ADF6A-261E-4D5F-8CC1-B2A0820D9C81-scaled.jpeg

2. 8CB0FF51-6749-4D9D-9126-B39C4A36D3B9-scaled.jpeg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just got done eating it. Guide says it tastes like chicken. Not too far off. Was really good. Here’s the grouper.

Attachments:
    1. FEDBC9F3-D24E-4525-9CCF-B85501D13620-scaled.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Atta boy Gil! waytogo

ThunderLund78

I love the whole fish presentation. Would like to try that with a freshwater fish but not much up here lends itself to that type of presentation. Maybe a smallmouth, someday.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I love the whole fish presentation. Would like to try that with a freshwater fish but not much up here lends itself to that type of presentation. Maybe a smallmouth, someday.

Saw a post on IFM on FB about it, guy did a couple smaller crappies. Just scaled and gutted them, breaded and fried whole, then served with a Hmong pepper sauce. Sounded really good!

Biggill can you PM the contact info for the charter? Our trip can’t get here soon enough!

Reef W

or just holding a rod vertical jigging

I know you already went but I just saw this line and remember the jigging trip we did in Puerto Vallarta… it was not “just” holding a rod. It was ripping a 7oz jig up 200+ feet as fast as you can and was really hard. My wife gave up and took a nap after about 15 minutes and I had a bruise in my armpit from the rod butt when we were done lol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Finally had some luck from the pier.

Attachments:
    1. 91C0F630-66C1-44D0-994F-4D4978243B55-scaled.jpeg

2. 2C94FC04-130C-4BEE-9B67-F793AB9765EA-scaled.jpeg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Small ‘Cuda and a Ladyfish?

Yep. Fished early yesterday morning before we left and tied on to 2 BIG cuda but both broke my line after a quick run. I didn’t bring any leader material and should have known better. I was in a hurry and grabbed a decent reel that I didn’t care if it got lost or broken. It only had 8 lb mono on it so it was really underpowered for this big cuda. Would’ve been really cool to land one though.

Before I go on another trip I’m gonna get a nicer rod and bring a nice reel spooled with at least 20 lb braid and bring some 40 or 60 lb fluorocarbon leaders. Maybe some steel leaders too.

It was fun to learn as you go and share experiences with other people that were trying to figure it out too.

Picked up another small barracuda from the kayak.

Attachments:
    1. 23254D83-6F93-4746-B41E-FD3333BC9C3F-scaled.jpeg

ThunderLund78

Cudas are the best bang for your buck if you’re just fishing to bend the rods – they’re pretty aggressive and willing biters most of the time and they are MEAN! Just like Pike, all the locals turn their nose up at them in pursuit of more desirable “sport fish” kinda like bass or walleye purists up here. I’d take a good cuda fight any day of the week, what a cool animal.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Yep. Nice work. You just have to go figure it out and learn. I can’t wait for my Keys trip in about a month. I bring two 4 piece medium Ugly Stiks and some moderately priced Pflueger reels with braid and then a variety of leader material. I have a notebook with things I learn along the way. Saltwater is a whole new passion for someone grown up fishing and hunting in the northern Midwest

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Made my first trip ever to the keys last year…. All I could think about was being there with my kayak and fishing in the future. Are there any fish there that don’t have scary teeth? Was thinking inland but something about gators and snakes just freaks me out if I am going in a kayak. Looks like fun!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.