Pumpkin Gill?

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

Out fishing with my wife yesterday and she caught a very strange colored pumpkinseed. Looking at the picture, the bottom one has a much different color pattern and in sunlight, it is a light blue in color. Someone mentioned it is a pumpkin gill. Anyone caught one of these before?

Attachments:
    1. Pumpkin-Gill.jpeg

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

I have been told the red ear makes them pumpkin seeds but without, they are what are known as hybrids. Maybe someone else can confirm.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

They both look like pure Pumpkins to me. Most of the time there is variation to the colors and markings. The red on the ear flaps look pretty small but normal.

Brady Valberg

Maybe somethin similar to a blue perch???

Attachments:
    1. 20170211_105016.jpg

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

If they have the red on their ear, here they would be a red eared sunfish. Called a red ear for short.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20170213-101441.png

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

If they have the red on their ear, here they would be a red eared sunfish. Called a red ear for short.

Two different fish; Pumpkinseed is Lepomis gibbosus and Red Ear is Lepomis microlophus

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

Can pumpkinseeds still have red on their ear? I always assumed the red on their ear made them a red ear. I didn’t look at the picture real close to see if they had the red on them. I was going off of the first reply that said he thought the red ear made them a pumpkinseed.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Can pumpkinseeds still have red on their ear? I always assumed the red on their ear made them a red ear. I didn’t look at the picture real close to see if they had the red on them. I was going off of the first reply that said he thought the red ear made them a pumpkinseed.

Correct. Pumpkinseeds have a red spot on the end of the ear.

I was also wondering if this was a hybrid. Darker colored fish but has some coloration consistent with a pumpkinseed but also has a black ear consistent with a bluegill. The lake it came from has both sunfish.

Attachments:
    1. sunfish.jpg

Ny
    N Metro

I believe that its a Hybrid

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.