Pulling cranks

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I don’t have a kicker or the room for one on my boat a yarcraft 2095btx. Going forward I’m at about 2.8 to 3mph. I have been using my bow mount pointed backwards to slow me down to the speed that I need. Is using the bow mount backwards with the big motor running going to cause any undue stress on the trolling motor shaft motor ect. I usually have the bow mount on 4 or so. Anyone else do this? I could use bags but find them to be a pain. Thanks for any advice.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Cant you backtroll with your tiller? Not sure what kind of bow mount you have but I can troll 2 mph all day long with my 80lb Terrova

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I usually have the bow mount on 4 or so. Anyone else do this? I could use bags but find them to be a pain. Thanks for any advice.

I did exactly this when I owned my crestliner. I tried a drift sock and hated it. When you use the trolling motor backwards, you actually have the ability to dial in your speed very precisely and actually able to straighten out your boat in a cross wind or quarter wind. Kind of slick if you are running downriggers or dipsy divers.

As far as stress or damage, I never saw an issue.

The only issue I had was slight CO poising. Really bad headaches after fishing from the big motor exhaust. That was reason enough to get a different boat and get a kicker. Not to mention a kicker takes many many hours off the big motor and you also have an auxiliary motor in case of an issue.

brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I have a verado so I do t get much smoke. I did remember the days as a kid backtrolling with my dad and always having that smell in the boat.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I use trolling bags (one on each side) quite often when pulling cranks, especially in cooler water. Tie one end to a front cleat and the other end to a back cleat and they stay right next to the boat. You can flip them into the boat when running from spot to spot. Much easier to use than a drift sock. I bought mine from Amish Outfitters. They are called Amish Outfitters Buggy Bag Trolling Bags. Come in a bunch of sizes.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

You aren’t going to harm the bowmount at those speeds. The socks or a vantage are also good options.

I had a 2095 with 175 Verado and after dialing the rpms down could slow down to about 2.3 mph. Do you have an L6 200?

brian schultz
    Minot, ND

Yes the L6 200 verado. I’m at 2.8mph forward

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have a verado so I do t get much smoke. I did remember the days as a kid backtrolling with my dad and always having that smell in the boat.

The smoke or smell isn’t the issue, it’s the carbon monoxide. I’m sure you’re familiar. I’m positive my intense headaches weren’t from 2 cycle smoke. The larger the motor the more it’ll produce. I even had a merc 2+2 125 hp so it only ran on 2 cylinders at idle.

I never put 2+2 (no pun intended) together until my cousin had the same headache after trolling with me.

Either way, the trolling motor in the water is awesome for more precise trolling and lightning quick turns. The only time I don’t use it now (I have a boat with kicker now) is when I’m on Superior in calm weather.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I use trolling bags (one on each side) quite often when pulling cranks, especially in cooler water. Tie one end to a front cleat and the other end to a back cleat and they stay right next to the boat. You can flip them into the boat when running from spot to spot. Much easier to use than a drift sock. I bought mine from Amish Outfitters. They are called Amish Outfitters Buggy Bag Trolling Bags. Come in a bunch of sizes.

How big of bags do you need to slow down from 3 to 2 mph?

Gerty

John – may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between a trolling bag and a drift sock?

Gitchi Gummi

I know some guys that troll with their big motors on Lake Superior. To slow down, they will drill a few holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and throw it out the back on either side (or both sides). You can really tune it in with how much drag you need by the number and size of holes you drill through the bottom of the bucket. It seems to be a little easier to use (and cheaper) than a drift sock. A bucket and a couple ft of rope tied to an anchor cleet is all you need.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

To slow down, they will drill a few holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and throw it out the back on either side (or both sides).

Did this on one of my prior boats. Except I tied off to the bow eye and let the bucket run under the boat.

Gotta ask. If you are running at #4 in reverse to get your speed. What do you need to run going forward with only the bow mount? Seems like you could just troll with the bow mount?? Can you drop the bow mount and just turn the head sideways to create enough drag??

-J.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.