Pulling boat behind your 5the wheel camper

• Kris Berg

Does anyone pull their boat behind their 5th wheel camper? I just bought a new 5th wheel camper and am going to pull my boat behind it. I want to have the hitch (that was installed on the camper by the camper manufacturer) reinforced, so over time, the movement from the boat doesnt weaken the welds on the hitch. Anyone have this done and know of any welding shops around Central MN that do this?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Miltona blacksmith will do it. Very reasonable rates. They will get it in and out fast. I just brought some work up there and was very happy.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

What will be your overall length? That usually dictates whether there will be a drivers license issue.

Coletrain27

the law in MN is 70’ or less for triple towing

Kris Berg

I am under 70′. Just looking to see if anyone knows any welding shops that do the reinforcing? The shops I have called, dont do it.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I am under 70′. Just looking to see if anyone knows any welding shops that do the reinforcing? The shops I have called, dont do it.

Typically a liability issue. You would have better luck finding one of the forum farm boys with a welder than a licensed business.

Iowaboy1

dont forget about being able to stop it !!
    most camper frames are made to carry the weight of the camper and its load/occupants and the like,they are not designed to be able to tow a load other than itself.
    yes,this idea is getting more popular and being done when its not safe to do so.
    another thing you may consider is towing on windy days,( ya,I know its not windy everyday ) but your vehicle may not be able to handle additional side loads imposed by the wind and you will be doing the snake crawl all over the road.

wiring is an issue as well,is the campers wiring heavy enough to carry the additional load of the boat trailer?? same with brake wiring.
    my tp opinion,two cents dont cover it anymore lol

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Just find a small welding shop, the “guy” and he’ll fix you up! I had one put on my 5th wheel, and instead of buying one I had one made and it’s beefy! What I did for wiring is I ran separate wires for boat. I don’t tow much for boats compared to some guys. 14’ Jon boat or 16’ fiberglass with 90 four stoke. No problems with 3/4 ton diesel pickup. Be smart and you’ll be good!!

keith christianson

I did this and the dealership I purchased my 5th wheel from had a local welding shop in Siouxfalls weld mine. The dealership insisted I knew 350 max tongue weight. I will say my tongue weight was heavier than that. I didn’t tow in tandem very often. 5th wheel frames aren’t very heavy and most are not to made to handle the additional load.

I no longer have mine but thought I’d pass on my experience.

Henpecked

There is one in Cloquet, but probably a little too far for you. He installs for the local dealers.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Try Brand Mfg. in Princeton. They did a custom job on my hitch several years ago.

michael keehr

Ickler in st cloud always has done good work. I’m sure they would do it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.