PSA – Clean Those Dryer Vents

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The AC guy noticed that our dryer vent, which vents off the roof, had become detached when they put the second AC intake vent in. Thank God he told me about it. The dryer vent guy came out and we found out why the vent stack had become detached, it was the weight of the lint build up. He said on a scale from 1-10 for a fire hazard it was a 15.

I guess there is a learning curve to owning a home. I have never heard of cleaning out the dryer vent, but then again I grew up used to basements with laundry rooms that vent out the foundation, not straight up.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Our vent blows out of the foundation and it needs cleaning about every two years. I just checked ours yesterday.

peace Good reminder PUG!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d add that if your dryer seems like it’s not working properly or drying is taking a long time the first place to check are the lint traps and dryer vents….I usually wait too long to clean them and that’s my reminder.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The FMIL does the drying. Not sure how she didn’t notice it not drying very well. I mean there had to be very little air flow. She’s going to be amazed when she does the first load today.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

After waiting many years the first time we do it every year now.
    Just did it 15 min ago after reading your message!!!!! I also take the front panel off the gas dryer and vacuum the inside.

Pops Z.

An easy way to clean the dryer vent is to use an electric leaf blower. Go from inside to outside and poof, lint is cleaned out.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

We got a new dryer last summer. Thing doesn’t hardly put out any lint. I’m kinda baffled. Course it doesn’t work as well as the one we replaced either. sad

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

An easy way to clean the dryer vent is to use an electric leaf blower. Go from inside to outside and poof, lint is cleaned out.

yep. I used my shop vacuum in blower mode and have my wife outside to verify debris and air flow.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

It’s also worth checking to see how the ductwork is put together. Joints should be taped, not screwed like other hvac applications. Every screw that sticks into the flow will accumulate lint. Learned that one the hard way.

Also, X2 on checking the innards of the dryer for lint accumulation.

CaptainMusky

That is scary Pug! I have a horizontal duct, but honestly, I dont remember the last time I cleaned it. Its only running like 6 feet, but still. Probably hasnt been cleaned in a good number of years. We bought new washer and dryer about 5 years ago and I am not sure I even did it then. I will have to take a look at it. I have however given it a good shake while the dryer is running and could hear stuff blowing out the vent.

404 ERROR
    MN

Good reminder! We have our air ducts cleaned every two years and we have that guy also clean our dryer vent. It’s crazy the amount of buildup that can happen in that time. Ours vents to the exterior wall directly behind the dryer (split level).

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

My dryer won’t run unless you pull and check the lint trap. Clean out the vent every 2-3 months…..

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’m not attached to my house or the material items inside. sounds like an opportunity for a new house to me. It would make the move easier.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.