Protesters on Mille Lacs

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Linda Eno did exactly this… unfortunately as usually happens these days, outside organizations (with more $$$ than struggling resort owners) hire goons to go in and disrupt and cause chaos, so that is what the public see’s.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Its easy to create a statement to the press to distance oneself after the fact. Its also easy to say these were paid goons with out substantial evidance. She put her name and her mug on the poster and after the fact she wont take ownership let alone condemn other than to say we did not inpede him from fishing.

big_g
    Isle, MN

your full of facts yourself.

Kyhl
    Savage

Its easy to create a statement to the press to distance oneself after the fact. Its also easy to say these were paid goons with out substantial evidance. She put her name and her mug on the poster and after the fact she wont take ownership let alone condemn other than to say we did not inpede him from fishing.

If racial slurs were being hurled by other protesters, I would be distancing myself from those idiots too.

I’m also not sure how it was legal to harass an angler that was in the act of taking game . She probably needed to clarify that as well.

Protest at a distance, waving flags = good idea. Make your point known.
    All the rest of the shenanigans = bad idea and she should distance herself from them. We all should, or shout the idiots down.

sktrwx2200

Pretty aggravating reading the comments on the star trib artcle..
    alot of comments talking about the resorts wanting to fish the walleyes down to nothing left…. Resorts only concerned about now and not the future..bla bla bla…
    Crazy how far out in left field the “public” is on this issue.. One of the reasons its hard to get any traction on the issue… the mainstream media is way off on the reporting of the TRUE problem or just flat out chooses not to report the facts.

Pretty hard to blame ENO of Twin Pines in my opinion.. They have been on the front lines battling and trying to get something done for quite some time. They probably feel like they aren’t being heard or aren’t being taken serious so when “the Man” shows up at your doorstep.. they felt they need to take the opportunity. I believe they had good intentions with the rally, but like usual it gets out of hand and the actions of a few over shadow the goal of the rally. Too bad..

Right or wrong Fishers had to know that this event would not go well .. right?
    Fresh off the highly debated shut down, bringing the man with a reputation such as Dayton and who many blame for creating a big portion of the mess up there isn’t exactly a slam dunk … kinda like stirring up the hornets nest. They had to have an idea it wouldnt all be rainbows and butterflies, and not a “nice afternoon on the lake”..

Things are definitely escalating, and there are more walleyes in the lake than I have seen in the 10 or so years I have been going up there… I just pray they open it back up for ICE season (C & R even).. can you imagine if they cut off the ICE FISHING.. That might be the kiss of death.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Fresh off the highly debated shut down, bringing the man with a reputation such as Dayton and who many blame for creating a big portion of the mess up there isn’t exactly a slam dunk … kinda like stirring up the hornets nest. They had to have an idea it wouldnt all be rainbows and butterflies, and not a “nice afternoon on the lake”..

I am sure Fishers was not so naive as to not expect any challenges out there. But I do think they were shocked not only how hostile it became but also to the degree in which there were profanity, insults, even directed at the kids on board and the racist remarks. Perhaps the greatest insult and disrespect was that there was another resort launch boat that was the primary source of the disruption.
    FWIW, initially there were many witnesses that identified it or accused it of being a Twin Pines launch. That was not the case…it was another resorts launch boat.

sktrwx2200

I hear ya Andy.. They are fighting against each other now.. Pretty crazy stuff.

CaptainMusky

Perhaps the greatest insult and disrespect was that there was another resort launch boat that was the primary source of the disruption.
    FWIW, initially there were many witnesses that identified it or accused it of being a Twin Pines launch. That was not the case…it was another resorts launch boat.

What was the name of the other resort? I want to be sure to never support them when I return to Mille Lacs.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I would like to know also. I know the resort I stay at sent a launch full, but I wanted nothing to do with that. I certainly hope it wasn’t that resort…

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Pretty aggravating reading the comments on the star trib artcle..
    alot of comments talking about the resorts wanting to fish the walleyes down to nothing left…. Resorts only concerned about now and not the future..bla bla bla…
    Crazy how far out in left field the “public” is on this issue.. One of the reasons its hard to get any traction on the issue… the mainstream media is way off on the reporting of the TRUE problem or just flat out chooses not to report the facts.

Pretty hard to blame ENO of Twin Pines in my opinion.. They have been on the front lines battling and trying to get something done for quite some time. They probably feel like they aren’t being heard or aren’t being taken serious so when “the Man” shows up at your doorstep.. they felt they need to take the opportunity. I believe they had good intentions with the rally, but like usual it gets out of hand and the actions of a few over shadow the goal of the rally. Too bad..

Things are definitely escalating, and there are more <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes in the lake than I have seen in the 10 or so years I have been going up there… I just pray they open it back up for ICE season (C & R even).. can you imagine if they cut off the ICE FISHING.. That might be the kiss of death.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Have not had the time to reply, but just reading this reflects my thoughts. There is no one clear agenda or issue to protest. Resorts protest the closing, others the DNR management, still others the “Politics” whatever that might be.

Me, just stop the netting in the spring and all of these problems go away.

How can the media report on this with so many splintered groups?

The frustration of every one came to be this weekend. Now there are no winners. No clear message sent, no gain for anyone. I expect nothing to change.

Final note – the Gov and Fishers had to know this would happen. I’m about 99% certain they knew for sure shortly before heading out. They never should have headed out. Once they did, they should pulled anchor and returned once the protest started. Sitting out there was about as stupid as it gets. Do this publicity stunt on a Wed in a non holiday week. Or better yet, stick with fishing bass out of Seth Fieders boat. Out run all the PO’ed walleye protested on the lake. coffee

-J.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>
    Lest you forgot,

The court case was MN vs Mille Lacs Band of Chippewa Indians, not MN vs U.S. Now with the level of federal funding the tribe’s get, it may be a difference in name alone, but a difference none-the-less. Also, the walleye quota in 2010 was 411,500 lbs for the Public and 132,500 lbs for the Tribe. So yeah I think a little blame Governor Dayton’s way is appropriate. Also, I had nothing to do with Steve leaving this site, and usually came to his defense.

In 1990, the Mille Lacs Band of Chippewa Indians filed suit seeking a declaratory judgment that they retained their usufructuary rights under the 1837 Treaty and an injunction against the State of Minnesota to prevent it from interfering with those rights. The United States intervened as a plaintiff in the suit.

In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Tribe and the United States. The Court disposed of the State’s argument that an 1850 Executive Order, which contained a removal order, terminated the usufructuary rights under the 1837 Treaty, because the parties pointed to no source of authority for the President’s order, and “‘[t]he President’s power, if any, to issue the order must stem either from an act of Congress or from the Constitution itself.’”

The less people know, the more they claim to know, the end result is know it alls pointing fingers regardless of the known facts.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I would like to know also. I know the resort I stay at sent a launch full, but I wanted nothing to do with that. I certainly hope it wasn’t that resort…

It was not sticker.
    I have had to think carefully about this as it truly pains me that there is enough evidence pointing at the resort boat involved. Numerous witness accounts of the actions from the boat and it’s occupants confirm the boat and photographed it very close to the Fisher launch. I have debated on whether to share this however it is what happened and rumors can take on a life of their own. Again it truly sickens me (this whole thing) and I am a customer of this resort. I’ll just provide the photographic evidence and leave it up to the rest of you to form your own conclusions.

Attachments:
    1. protest2.jpg

2. RedDoorlaunch.jpg

sktrwx2200

OOOOHHHH NOOOOO… I was hoping that wouldnt be the boat in question….. redface

Admire you Andy for reporting the facts.. im sure it wasnt easy to post that.

Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

I attended the rally from the start and stayed out there about 45 minutes. I don’t know what happened after I left but can testify that nothing disrespectful occurred by anyone while I was there. Everyone stayed at least 75 yds away from the launch at all times and I heard no yelling whatsoever. Daytons fishing was not interrupted while I was there. If things got ugly later on I don’t agree with that but I felt it was a good idea to let him know how allot of people feel. The comments about thugs being brought in to demonstrate is hilarious! The just wasn’t that many boats out there, maybe 50 to 60. I’m amazed how much misinformation is spewed out on a sportsman’s website.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The Gov should’ve known not to go out, just as much we all should’ve known protesters we’re blocking freeways and we should just stay home too.

Or maybe they were all paid goons on those freeways too right? That’d be a convenient argument egh.

If it’s true what happened out there with kids and the racial slurs obviously my first post means nothing now.

Heck if everyone wanted to run over the morons on the freeway, let’s start shooting rambo grenades into the tanks of the protest launches no!? Cmon can’t be biased now can we!?

What’s worse, blocking traffic or subjecting children to the ugliness of humanity?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The less people know, the more they claim to know, the end result is know it alls pointing fingers regardless of the known facts

Keep moving those goal posts Jeff! I didn’t bring the court case up you did. And the title of the DOJ article you reference is, “Minnesota V Mille Lacs Band”. None of which had anything to do with my points.

https://www.justice.gov/enrd/minnesota-v-mille-lacs-band

I am a customer of this resort.

Anyone mind filling those of us, not familiar with each resorts charters, in on which resort it was?

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Anyone mind filling those of us, not familiar with each resorts charters, in on which resort it was?

Judging by the filename on Andy’s second photo I’m guessing it’s Red Door. frown

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Judging by the filename on Andy’s second photo I’m guessing it’s Red Door. frown

Missed that, thanks!

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Keep moving those goal posts Jeff! I didn’t bring the court case up you did. And the title of the DOJ article you reference is, “Minnesota V Mille Lacs Band”. None of which had anything to do with my points.

BigWerm,
    I am not trying to poke you in the chest.
    My Point is the court case is the reason we are here today.
    It just happens that the shat hits the fan during Daytons administration.
    The hands of the State/Governor/DNR are tied behind their backs because of the treaty.
    The State is bound to the treaty and the tribes hold all the cards,I don’t think the State/Governor/DNR when in negotiations with the tribe even have a pot to urine in.
    Mille Lacs future will be dictated by the Tribes willingness to negotiate with the state.
    The Governor of the State of Minnesota no matter who it is,would not be able to change it.
    It would take an act of congress to change it.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

roll

If the eyes are starving, can they just stock the lake with baitfish? I guess I don’t buy the starving bit. Just about every mature female eye is long and skinny in the summer every body of water I fish. ML is going to be one of the best destinations for trophy fishing if you ask me. Not everyone needs a 5 fish limit to drive up and feed the resort owners. I would love targeting the bass and a potential record Musky. There is more to MN than just Walleye fishing…embrace it. As far as a shutdown…it can only help down the road.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I attended the rally from the start and stayed out there about 45 minutes. I don’t know what happened after I left but can testify that nothing disrespectful occurred by anyone while I was there. Everyone stayed at least 75 yds away from the launch at all times and I heard no yelling whatsoever. Daytons fishing was not interrupted while I was there. If things got ugly later on I don’t agree with that but I felt it was a good idea to let him know how allot of people feel. The comments about thugs being brought in to demonstrate is hilarious! The just wasn’t that many boats out there, maybe 50 to 60. I’m amazed how much misinformation is spewed out on a sportsman’s website.

Seems like this thread is taking on multiple personalities?

Anyway to respond to your post Smoker, I like your version of what happened much better. However I have heard or read multiple statements from totally unrelated people on entirely different boats basically having the same or very similar observation. I cannot think why they would fabricate or make these things up, no reason to. These were unrelated witnesses. Perhaps this all did escalate after you left as you said you were there for 45 minutes. I don’t know, all I know is that I have reservations at Red Door in a couple weeks for a family reunion. I am not planning on cancelling. I have known the owners and cannot imagine them encouraging or promoting what happened on their boat. They have been silent regarding all the controversial issues involving the lake. I just wish this did not turn the way it did. That is about all I have to say about this now.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It would take an act of congress to change it.

I agree. When this county’s west was being developed around the same time as the native treaty railroads were given eminent domain protection/rights to help in their development. Years later, when most eminent rights were being abused, these laws changed and way more strict rules applied to them. This is the 21st century, not he early 19th. Look at indian treaties like those eminent domain rights [?]. Do they really NEED to net fish or go shooting deer and moose any old time they get a hankering? No. We have grocery stores for food.

This BS about need and/or tradition does nothing but enable a certain element of our society [think discrimination against the general population here….white, Asian, black, anything but native] to live in the 19th century at our expense even if thru time and breeding most of those choosing to lean on this have blonde hair and play [net] from Ranger boats and pontoons using a multitude of 21st century toys. The true test of this treaty is whether they NEED this to survive. As far as tradition goes, can’t the Indians just get a park reserved and sit around and hoot, hollar, get drunk and as someone else mentioned beat on drums and tell stories while showing pictures….this exemplifies almost all of our family reunions so why should they be different. Maybe re-evaluate just how much money this treaty is costing the GOVERNMENT thru money handed out and thru lost tax revenues.

The best shot at getting anything changed with this treaty business is probably while the Trumpty-Dumpty is pres. One thing is for certain: This modern day discrimination against the bulk of society by a tiny fraction of the over-all population is totally wrong. This state nor any other can do anything until this enforced discrimination is snuffed at the federal level. People can pi$$ and moan about the governor, the dnr, lake associations, yada, yada, yada all they want but this won’t go away until things at the very top get shoved up their hienies.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

your full of facts yourself.

I will give you that toast
    Time for me to bow out. Things got interesting and I don’t want disrupt that. Agian cheers Big G.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Cheers…. toast

Some people do not realize 1 goon can sour a whole protest. 1 guy yelling racial slurs is enough…. out of hundreds. Do you know how many were yelling the slurs ?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Tom this discrimination you sre talking about. I assume it’s the discrimination of glifwc being able to net and nobody else can.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

This thread is just alllll over the map — indicative of our biggest problem in my opinion.

It’s the DNR’s fault, the slots ruined the lake.

It’s the tribe’s fault, netting ruined the lake.

It’s Dayton’s fault, liberal politics ruined the lake.

Meanwhile some here say the lake is fine, even great, never better.

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/wp-content/smilies/icon_doah.gif

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I seldom fish Mille Lacs and can’t even render an idea of the lake’s health, but my concerns include the lake on an entirely different front.

Its discrimination on a lot of levels: the fishing [netting], the hunting no apparent seasons], the taxes, the casinos….the list can go forever. Let an Asian go out on Mille Lacs a couple weeks before the inland walleye season opens in a Ranger boat from Wisconsin to throw out a quarter mile of nylon net to catch walleyes and see what this guy will leave with.

The blue-eyed native is not a true native yet these are the ones ramming their so called rights down everyone’s throat in the name of tradition. Tradition has zero to do with it. If tradition was a factor at all they’d be in the bark boats with paddles and plant fiber torches. And there’d be no blond hair. More and more its obvious that “NEED” or “tradition” is a not part of the over-all equation. Take need and tradition out of the equation and you have nothing but the utmost of discrimination against everyone who is not a native or so-called mixed race native. The federal government has to crawl out from under the rock they hide under and lower the boom on this schnit and end this red tyranny.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

The blue-eyed native is not a true native yet these are the ones ramming their so called rights down everyone’s throat in the name of tradition. Tradition has zero to do with it. If tradition was a factor at all they’d be in the bark boats with paddles and plant fiber torches. And there’d be no blond hair. More and more its obvious that “NEED” or “tradition” is a not part of the over-all equation. Take need and tradition out of the equation and you have nothing but the utmost of discrimination against everyone who is not a native or so-called mixed race native. The federal government has to crawl out from under the rock they hide under and lower the boom on this schnit and end this red tyranny.

The simple fact remains that none of that is relevant because the treaty didn’t stipulate “as long as your tribe maintains X percentage native blood” or “as long as you’re in canoes while netting” or “as long as it’s necessary for the survival of your tribe” or “until the internet experts declare that netting is ruining the fishery.”

The treaty is a legally binding document and the highest court in this country upheld that in its 1999 decision. (If you want to blame someone I guess maybe you should go for Justice David Souter who was SUPPOSED to be a good ol boy conservative and toe the line! Or maybe White House Chief of Staff John Sununu for selling GHW Bush on that fact, or ol’ Bushy #1 himself for buying it. . . chased )

Your argument is about as valid as when people argue against the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution by saying “today’s weapons are not what the founding fathers had in mind!”

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>

The simple fact remains that none of that is relevant because the treaty didn’t stipulate “as long as your tribe maintains X percentage native blood” or “as long as you’re in canoes while netting” or “as long as it’s necessary for the survival of your tribe” or “until the internet experts declare that netting is ruining the fishery.”

The treaty is a legally binding document and the highest court in this country upheld that in its 1999 decision. (If you want to blame someone I guess maybe you should go for Justice David Souter who was SUPPOSED to be a good ol boy conservative and toe the line! Or maybe White House Chief of Staff John Sununu for selling GHW Bush on that fact, or ol’ Bushy #1 himself for buying it. . . chased )

Your argument is about as valid as when people argue against the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution by saying “today’s weapons are not what the founding fathers had in mind!”

I’m with you pool2fool. With toms logic the French are waiting To take the Louisiana purchase back because “we dont need it anymore”.

Oh and by the way tom to ask the question as to why the natives family reunion can’t look just like yours and they should be happy with that is unbelievably ignorant and offensive. Also many of us fisherman have brown and black hair not blond. you may wish we were all blond haired and blue eyed but that hasn’t been in vogue since the 40’s.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.