Proper hold for Pike/Muskie

• Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

What hook cutter is recommended?

Won’t rust
    Snips through a 10/0 saltwater hook without damaging the snips?

I like the rapala heavy duty hook cutter. I just noticed that they aren’t on their website anymore. I actually used them a couple months ago to cut some chain link here at the studio so they are tough. Mine do have some mild rust on them. I have never really been accused of taking good care of my things though haha.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Wow…. old post.

I just want to ask, after the hooks are out, why not put your thumb over the top of the mouth like a “gator grab” and hold it’s mouth shut? Talk about controlling a thrash, I’ve got it’s mouth clamped shut, like a “c” clamp. I’ve never had it come undone. Therefore, when lifting a fish out of the net for a photo, I make sure it can’t open it’s mouth let alone get my thumb inside. Once the fish settles in the photo position, I usually slide my thumb underneath as shown but in picking them up, I’ve been clamping the mouth shut with my thumb.

I’m just trying to imagine or picture this hold particularly on a large pike or muskie? I can’t imagine your getting your thumb over the top enough to have any effective grip to keep the mouth shut. Furthermore with the fish properly gripped and supported and hooks removed, the teeth should be much less of a threat. Just curious about your method?

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Hear is a good picture to show you a great hold on the right and how to not hold on the left. The fingers are good on both sides but focus on the thumb this is more about pay attention. I was not paying attention to my thumb and the fish shook it’s head and toar me up.

Attachments:
    1. Resized_20160724_081757.jpeg

basseyes

Hear is a good picture to show you a great hold on the right and how to not hold on the left. The fingers are good on both sides but focus on the thumb this is more about pay attention. I was not paying attention to my thumb and the fish shook it’s head and toar me up.

Uff dah! Bet that was not fun at all. Great tip! Broke a decent sized pikes tooth off in my thumb in the bush in Cah-Nay-dee-ahh one year with a similar hold. It stunk digging that sucker out and bled like a stuck pig. A guy doesn’t realize how big a pikes tooth is till you’re digging it out of your thumb with a pocket knife.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

What hook cutter is recommended? Won’t rust Snips through a 10/0 saltwater hook without damaging the snips?

Knipex 8″ bolt cutter.
    It hurts once when you buy it, and then it pays you back over and over and over again when you use it. Buy it online from a tool store rather than a fishing store and it’ll be $25 cheaper.

One other thing is if you are a bogo grip user, you should only be using them as a Jaw spreader to aid in unhooking a fish that is hooked in a sensitive area. This should be done while the fish is still in the net.

This is right on.
    There’s too much risk of mouth and jaw damage when using a boga grip to lift a muskie. If you aren’t confident with a proper hand hold, put on a glove and/or have someone else hold the fish for you.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

What hook cutter is recommended?

Mine do have some mild rust on them. I have never really been accused of taking good care of my things though haha.

Hard not for them to rust in a boat that might see some moisture for one reason or another, that’s for sure. But I try to spray my Knipex cutters with Liquid Wrench penetrating oil a couple times a year to give them an opportunity to continue working when I need them. I also store them in a Plano box with the rest of my unhooking tools (jaw spreaders, long needle nose pliers, etc.) so they are all together when needed for fish or for people…

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Allan:

Sorry to hear about your thumb, but I am not sure that the dude’s thumb on the right was really in much better position…

Mark

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.