propane augers

• AaronMoore

So what are your thought on these type of augers? I’m thinking of switching from gas, btw I’m not a huge hole puncher may be 15-30 a time. Thanks for any insight.

taz
    Frederic wi

Pros: no gas to mix/gas can to haul around
    No smell to deal with in ice shacks

Cons: propane can needs to be kept warm
    Have to haul around 1 lbs cans and dispose of them
    And the cost of the augers are a on the higher side of the whole gas battery scale

It all depends on what type of fishing you do. All the augers out there are great units.

Eric.Christians
    Sabin - Moorhead, MN

Taz nailed it! I’ve got propane & love the no gas smell benefit. Just remember to keep a propane tank in your warm truck to keep it warm & you’ll be fine.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I have propane Jiffy Pro4 and love it! Starts easy every time and almost no maintenance. A new spark plug and fresh oil every season. That’s it!

Kevin LeSage

I know this isn’t what you were asking but since you said your not a huge hole puncher I can’t resist … Have you considered electric? I have an ion and I can easily drill 30 holes through 2+ feet of ice. Then you don’t have to buy propane or worry about having to go buy propane all the time.

hamms
    Mn

Try one out!

AaronMoore

I have though about a electric auger, not to sure which way to go? what im thinking of is a eskimo HC40, jiffy pro 4 lite or a ion

Kevin LeSage

I’m telling you right now I love my ion. Super light … No need for a hand auger anymore. I can punch infinite holes first ice. More holes than I will ever need early ice and I’ve even punched 36 holes through 3 feet of ice with it. I have owned mine for 2 seasons and still haven’t sharpened the blades. Also the customer service is the same as Eskimos excellent customer service because it’s the same company. I drive an f150 so I am not worried about space but I will tell you the convenience of an electric is second to none. Its was hard for me to take the step toward electric but once I did I was happier than a bird with a French fry.

Yoshi

Cons: propane can needs to be kept warm

I have a Jiffy Pro4, and I love it. I was up in Mille Lacs this weekend and there was below zero wind-chill for most of the weekend (besides a few hours on Saturday) I left my auger outside next to the flip-up and it would start no problem. I’m talking about 2-3 pulls. I drilled about 200 holes this weekend. The really only ‘Con’ I can think of is that it is a little on the heavy side for some. It doesn’t bother me, but I wouldn’t expect my wife or kid to haul it around punching a ton of holes.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Something else to consider – If your a walker, don’t buy a propane fueled auger. They have plenty of power and generally start very well but they are also probably the heaviest power augers made and that weight can really add up when you have to pull uphill or over any amount of distance.
    Add deep snow to the equation and it just makes dragging all that extra weight even worse.

AaronMoore

I am a walker, so weight is a issue. I’m looking hard at the ion also jiffy lite (26lb) also the HC40 eskimo. The only con for all the models I see is keeping the battery or propane bottle warm. So a small bag with a couple of hand warmers should take care of that.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Something else to consider – If your a walker, don’t buy a propane fueled auger. They have plenty of power and generally start very well but they are also probably the heaviest power augers made and that weight can really add up when you have to pull uphill or over any amount of distance.
    Add deep snow to the equation and it just makes dragging all that extra weight even worse.

Respectfully, I might not say “don’t” but suggest you weigh that heaviness of the auger into the equation. We put our tub on a smitty this weekend and pulled around the lake and found it just fine. I like the heavy weight of the auger. I never put downward pressure on the auger and the Jiffy Pro4 cuts like a dream. You just have to evaluate what weight is worth it to you.

You shouldda seen the load we put on that smitty yesterday. A full 20lb propane tank, Jiffy Pro4, big bucked of suckers with water to the brim, otter rod boxes, several duffle bags with tipups and tackle, lunch boxes, chairs, several flashers, and more. My buddy said it looked like the sleigh from the Grinch movie. Packed high and wide. The smitty sled still pulled in 2-4 inches of snow with minimal effort.

Kevin LeSage

I have no problem keeping the battery warm. If my shelter is set up I just leave the auger outside and bring the battery in the shelter and I have never had a problem. Also the battery on the Ion slides on and off with ease. I usually don’t even pull the rubber strap over the battery. If I don’t have the shelter set up I either put the battery in my pocket or put it in the sled just so it is off the ice. I have never had my battery get too cold and just this last Wednesday I fished in 35 below with the windchill. I highly recommend the Ion. You can have a hole or two drilled before you would be able to get a propane or gas auger started. You never have to worry about potential issues where the auger doesn’t start. And if it’s really cold you can get your shelter set up right away and drill your holes from inside with no worries about fumes or any noise.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

You can have a hole or two drilled before you would be able to get a propane or gas auger started.

Now I’ve heard it all! Tell you what Kevin, me, you can have an auger contest. My cold propane auger vs. your battery all warmed up electric. A contest of the quickest 5 holes drilled. I’d put a bet on that! If you win, I will buy an electric. If I win, you stop making unverified statements of grandeur about the power of electrics. Deal? I have this weekend open. Happy to meet up anywhere in the Metro.

Kevin LeSage

Lol. What I meant was I can start drilling with my electric before a gas or propane auger is started. It wasn’t meant to be taken completely literally. But I would be down for a race. It would be cool to compare. I’m sure it would be closer than you think. I fish with my cousin a lot and he has a gas jiffy and we “raced” a little bit early ice (although also nothing too scientific or exact) but one definitely wasn’t noticeably faster than the other. But I will again say … I can definitely start drilling before his gas auger is running.

Yoshi

Can I watch?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Time and place my friend! I get what you were after about starting times but honestly, 1 to 2 pulls and a cold propane is running just fine. Considering ice fishing usually consists of more than one hole at a time, I arbitrarily picked 5. We could make it more or less. I have no doubt there are certain advantages to the electric (weight) and that they are fine units. But I do have my doubts about an electric in a winter like last year where even with my auger extension I was down to the handles. I could not imagine being satisfied with an electric in that scenario if I were running and gunning and wanted to pop 40 holes or more in a day. But I am willing to be proven wrong.

Kevin LeSage

If you want a comparison there it is. Looks like they are all pretty darn close to me. I will admit my Ion is the slowest at 14 seconds slower for 5 holes than the propane. But if propane ever has issues starting or running right … Electric would be the obvious winner. But I realize that is an IF …

Kevin LeSage

But I do have my doubts about an electric in a winter like last year where even with my auger extension I was down to the handles. I could not imagine being satisfied with an electric in that scenario if I were running and gunning and wanted to pop 40 holes or more in a day. But I am willing to be proven wrong.

Most ice I ever drilled through was about 34 inches and I drilled 36 holes with the Ion. I will admit if it’s mid winter or late ice and you want to punch a ton of holes. An electric isn’t for you. Unless you want to invest in multiple batteries. But Aaron did say

btw I’m not a huge hole puncher may be 15-30 a time.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Good video. The one thing I noticed is how the electrics are being used…a LOT of downward pressure to cut fast. I also noticed how the short guy with less leverage was given the two competing augers. That test really should have been designed where EQUAL downward pressure was applied to each unit, in order for the test to be fair.

Speaking of scientific, I would also want to take a measure of the inches of ice each unit had actually drilled. Just in case the ice was thinner or thicker in places as we all know is common.

I was surprised that the Jiffy lost but I’m still thinking that since it was a commercial, we MIGHT not see a true test. I’m still open to compete!

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I was extremely skeptical about electric augers, but after going through a horrible run of bad experiences with both of the popular gas auger brands I decided enough was enough. I did some research and with much trepidation, bought an 8 inch Ion. I’m on my second year with it and I can honestly say it’s the best purchase I’ve made for ice fishing.

Pros:
    -Never need to deal with gas/spark plug/carberator issues ever again
    -If it happens to tip over the handles aren’t going to break (they’re metal, not plastic)
    -It’s light, yet well built
    -Drills holes plenty fast
    -Drills lots of holes through plenty of ice for my needs

Cons:
    -Battery life is unknown. They’re spendy, so I hope they last quite a few years
    -keeping battery warm (so far a non-issue for me using heated shack or soft side cooler with hand warmers

Kevin LeSage

I actually think that pushing down so hard on the Ion is a bad thing. It has what I call “shaving blades” and the blades are meant to pull the auger through the ice on their own. I think pushing down would actually cause more stress on the drive system and actually slow the auger and drain more battery. I agree that the test could have been done better. Not to mention the guys from ice force are sponsored by StrikeMaster. We could get totally scientific on the hole thing (yes I meant to spell the word hole lol) but I really don’t think a second or two per hole is that big of a deal. But that’s just me. When I bought the Ion I was more focused on convenience. (as in no mixing gas or changin oil or having to go buy 1 lb propane canisters) I will say with the Ion being only 22 lbs it is awesome for first to early ice. You will never have to worry about running out of battery and you probably will never use a hand auger again.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I have no doubt that I would probably be open to an electric sometime in the near future if for anything, early ice when the temps are warm and the ice is less than 24 inches. However, being more of a run and gun ice fisher these days, I most often do not set up the Clam unless below zero. I guess I shy away from battery augers as I would not have a way to keep the battery warm.

I’m certainly not knocking battery augers. A perfect fit for a certain style of use.

Some other variables to consider: redrilling old holes can be more difficult than new ones, yes? I would like to see a contest of the battery vs. Jiffy propane on that front. I know a lot of guys that would consider a battery unit are doing so for their perm houses. Anyone have any experience with batteries on closed up holes?

Kevin LeSage

I have re drilled old holes that were not in a permanent shack. The Ion drilled through old holes just fine but when completely drilled through I found that I had to stop the auger and then pull it out of the hole. For some reason if I kept the auger spinning I couldn’t pull it up out of the hole. I can’t explain what was happening at all … I just learned quickly to stop spinning the auger and then pull up. This would only be an issue when trying to clear slush from the hole with the auger I guess. Scoop works fine for me )

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I think I will add an electric to the mix for next season. I put the spare funds this year into a wheeler and tackle so it will have to wait this year. I hear guys mentioning the Niles with a separate power unit. Anyone think these cut faster or better than the Ion or Strikemaster?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Kevin, just curious if you are using the 8 hole size inch model or smaller? I was looking at the Strikemaster Web site and the 8 inch model weighs 28 lbs! I thought that was a little heavier than it should have been. Still less than the 43 lbs of the Jiffy Pro4 propane.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

As a long time walker on the ice, I’m a firm believer that weight matters.
    Two years ago, my older brother and I each pulled our own sled for a few days around the sloughs of the Mississippi river. Plenty of deep snow that year and lots of high banks to go over or up & down.
    He loves his Jiffy propane auger but by the end of the weekend, even he admitted it was to heavy for that kind of hiking around.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

But Joel, think of all the additional exercise we get when pulling heavier loads! lol. I agree, weight matters. After pulling an Otter Magnum on a 2 mile walk on Independence this year, I HAD to use a Smitty. Never again without a Smitty!

Kevin LeSage

JD I am using the 8 inch Ion and it weighs 22 lbs. It comes with the auger extension which I would imagine would add 1/2 lb. … maybe? The only thing that would steer me away from the strikemaster is the cost of the unit and the cost of replacement batteries at 250 bucks. Just doesn’t seem that much better than the Ion for the money. Although I did buy my 8 inch Ion on clearance for 425 bucks. I do not have the reverse model. Really no need for that anyway.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.