Pro wrap vs flew coat

• Jeff Telander

I just did my first tiger wrap and I think it turned out pretty good as far as the threads are concerned. My only issue is that I had some bubbles that would not come out. I didn’t use CP as the thread is prowrap color fast (ncp). I finished it with flex coat high build. Should I have used a color preserver anyway to seal the thread? Should I try pro kote next time?

Jeff Telander

I should specify. Bubbles are in top layer of tiger. Trapped in the spaces between the single thread. Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

Jeff Telander

Pro kote vs flex coat. Sorry. Stupid auto correct! roll

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

When you get the flex coat or whatever applied and on the rod on the turner check for bubbles. If you see any just use a butane lighter and run a flame across the surface fairly quickly and the bubbles will surface and burst. The finish will level itself where the bubbles were.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I should specify. Bubbles are in top layer of tiger. Trapped in the spaces between the single thread. Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

I always use a straw and blow lightly to get any bubbles out…works well for me

Jeff Telander

I tried a straw. I’m too spitty for that, I found! Ha! Tried a lighter with limited success. I guess I was just wondering if pro kote is any better, or would I have the same issues? Too tacky to do anything about it now. Just trying to avoid this problem on the next one. Guide wraps look good. But the tiger wrap proved to be a bubble generator. Also, would CP help?

Jeff Telander

All in all I think I did ok for my first tiger.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2827.jpg

Red Eye

I have found that bubbles were more of a problem with the High Build for me. I seem to get way fewer bubbles in my wraps with a thinner two part.

Jeff Telander

I have found that bubbles were more of a problem with the High Build for me. I seem to get way fewer bubbles in my wraps with a thinner two part.

Can I put high build on top of the thinner stuff? Or would I have to keep building up with the same epoxy to get a thicker coat?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.