Preparing for mounting a fish

• queenswake
    NULL

I have never kept one to mount but in the event I did, what exactly is the process to keep it in the best shape before it can get to the taxidermist? Do I need to get one of those big, white 165 qt marine coolers so I have plenty of room to avoid having the fish curl up in order to fit?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Roll the fish up in a wet bath towel and then put in a plastic garbage bag. Freeze. Be careful not to damage the tail fin while in the freezer.

-J.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ve always just wrapped it good in plastic bags. Like Jon said be careful with all the fins.

NEVER wrap it in newspaper!!

Deuces

Be prepared to be told 100x replicas are the best way to go.

Ripjiggen

Send it back into water and do a replica. Then no worries. waytogo

Just messing advice from above is good.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

The advice I was given by a taxidermist:
    Sprinkle Borax on the fish, wrap in a wet towel, then put it in garbage bag and freeze. Handle carefully so you don’t damage any fins.
    He said the Borax helps preserve the color and skin texture.

stevenoak

Get it to the Taxidermist ASAP. Even with everything done right. Fish can freezer burn awfully quick. Sooner you get it there, the better it will turn out.

Dave maze
    Isanti

X2 on the damp towel. Get some pics and measurements, roll it up in the towel and freeze it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Wet towel or womens nylons.

If it has unique colors or anything special, make sure you have good photos with no shadows. I got the coolest brown trout with extraordinary colors. Unfortunately the belly in one picture was shadowed. The guy Baker near Racine was too incompetent to look at the other pics to see the vibrant orange belly. He painted it black.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

coat it with borax before wrapping it in a towel.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I had a replica done a couple years ago, it was hard to find a taxidermist who even dealt with skin mounts. I went with a taxidermist who could order a blank in the exact length and girth

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I had a replica done a couple years ago, it was hard to find a taxidermist who even dealt with skin mounts. I went with a taxidermist who could order a blank in the exact length and girth

Same. Had a tiger muskie replica done last year by LAX Reproductions.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I have 2 walleye mounted 1 skin 1 replica, the skin has great character but the replica is a lifelong awesome 12.5 lb mount. Also have 2 pike 1 skin which was mounted by Troy Pike and is terrible work, the other 1 is a replica and is awesome work done by Al Bartz scenic taxidermy he did both replicas

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Just my $.02 I have 2 skin mounts done several years ago, probably 15. They are starting to show signs of their age and don’t look as good as the day I got them. I have friends that have replicas done that look as good as they the day they got them.

If I ever get the opportunity again it will be a replica simply for longevity.

But, as others have suggested proper handling of a skin mount is accurate in my experience.

Matt

big_g
    Isle, MN

Wrap in damp towel, freeze. Get to taxi asap. I have a skin mount Walleye from 1995… 27 years and looks like the day I pulled it out of the lake ! Again, lightly dust with damp paper towel about once a year.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I wrap in damp bath towel and throw in garbage bag in freezer. I only do replica mounts of deer. I shoot them with a tranquilizer dart.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

Note to self. Put Borax and some women’s nylons in the boat…

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I have 9 mounts and only 1 Muskie is showing its age all the rest look fine . The borax tip never heard of ? Wet towel and freeze is what I have done for years .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.