Preferred Smoker Pellets and why

• Baitwaster
    South metro

Just getting into pellet smoking – got a grill last weekend. Curious as to what brands people use more so than “flavors”. I am just wondering why you choose the pellets you do.

I’ve had a stick burner for decades – so I am aware of flavor profiles different woods add to different meats. The pellet grill, long story short, fell in my lap. I couldn’t turn the deal down…

CaptainMusky

I am on a few FB groups and the Bear Mountain one gets a lot of recommendations from people. I havent personally used them because I am still whittling down the 200 pounds of the recteq pellets I bought, but would give them a shot I am sure.

isu22andy

Maybe Im the minority but have had a pellet grill for 5 years never have I tasted a real difference in pellets. Ive always used lumberjack brad or whatever I could find when I went to a place that sold them .

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Maybe Im the minority but have had a pellet grill for 5 years never have I tasted a real difference in pellets. Ive always used lumberjack brad or whatever I could find when I went to a place that sold them .

X2 – I’m with you on this one. I tend to use what ever is available when I’m getting low. Not sure of the brand at Costco but its a great deal and I think its taste the same as all the other brands that I have used. Just like a wine sommelier can taste the smallest different taste in wine, I sure some can with pellets as well. Just not me. my taste buds are not that fine tuned.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I’m with some of the others. Have not noticed a big difference in flavor.

I think the bigger issue is how they are made. If the binder to hold them in pellet form is “glue”, I don’t buy them.
    That glue burns and transported along with the smoke to the meat. Doesn’t sound good to me.
    I try to look at the details on the bag. Most will tell how they are made. If you find the ones without glue, get em.

Coletrain27

ive tried most different types and never really noticed much of a difference either. now i now pay 5.99 for a 40# bag and dont buy into to that expensive crap

Jimmy Jones

I got a MasterBuilt gas smoker earlier this summer, not so much for smoking as for doing my venison sticks. I can smoke and finish the sticks without having to move the sticks to the oven to finish them. Its designed for wood chips but I have been doing baby backs using pellets instead. I picked up a bag of a pellet blend at Scheels and they do a good job on the ribs. I’ll be using the chips when I do venison sausage.

FinnyDinDin

Lumberjack brand because of the way they are made. No fillers. Burns better and more smoke.

Cherry flavor, not because of the flavor but because cherry seems to create more smoke than the other wood. I too cannot notice a flavor difference in food with different flavor pellets.

I’ve tried a half dozen brands. Threw out a bunch of bags because they didn’t produce enough smoke.

Coletrain27

Lumberjack brand because of the way they are made. No fillers. Burns better and more smoke.

Cherry flavor, not because of the flavor but because cherry seems to create more smoke than the other wood. I too cannot notice a flavor difference in food with different flavor pellets.

I’ve tried a half dozen brands. Threw out a bunch of bags because they didn’t produce enough smoke.

the temp you are cooking at makes a big difference in how much smoke is produced also. if you think you need more smoke or want to produce smoke at higher heats then just get a smoke tube and fill that with pellets. those smolder for hours and work great. i also use them for cold smoking

Jimmy Jones

if you think you need more smoke or want to produce smoke at higher heats then just get a smoke tube and fill that with pellets. those smolder for hours and work great. i also use them for cold smoking

This, especially for cold smoking.

Pellets have come a longgggg way since their inception. Those having a “glue” are passe by today’s standards.

10klakes

Of the 4 brands I’ve used, I’d recommend these
    Bear mountain
    Kirkland Brand
    Recteq

I tend to stick with the blends with several types of wood. Not sure why. Wasn’t a big fan of the Traeger pellets. I feel like they had less taste/smoke, but also could be me viewing traeger as the Yeti brand of smokers- over priced and paying for the name.

I want to try lumberjack as I’ve heard good things and they are cheap.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I tend to stick with the blends with several types of wood

X2 – Same for me. I almost always use the pellets with a blend of woods.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

Bear mountain bold

Gregg Gunter

I have a Traeger and use their pellets. Same experience: not enough smoke so I use a smoke tube with a mix of pellets and chips. Can’t say that I can taste a difference in their pellets. I’ll try one of those recommendations above.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have a Traeger and use their pellets. Same experience: not enough smoke

I will have to say the only brand I’ve used that I was not a fan of was the Traeger brand. I just wrote it off as possibly getting a older bag or one that was not stored well. It just did not burn real clean.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Don’t have a pellet grill, but for my electric smoker I prefer hickory chips. Nothing against other flavors but my brother uses different flavors wood types and I can tell in the fish and poultry he smokes.

I noticed the chips and pellets won’t completely burn up, I sve them and throw them over my charcoal when I grill. Works good to!! waytogo

Baitwaster
    South metro

Good info all – just what I was looking for!

Baitwaster
    South metro

Anyone used the Scheels 1902 pellets? They are on sale for $15 for a 40lb bag – $10 off. Looks like a pretty good deal. Might have to get a couple bags…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.