wolf hunting

• hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

The easy part is done, I received a tag for this years wolf hunt during the rifle season.

Im trying to get as much information as possible.

How is everyone going to hunt?

What rifle?

Any good books/dvds

Lets talk wolf hunting!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Here they hang near baited deer stands…Yes. they are that smart
    Any rifle will work but I would opt for a .243 or bigger since they can weight over 150 lbs.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Do you think a 22 250 with a solid bullet would do fine? I dont own anything under 30 06 and I dont want to ruin the hide if im blessed with an opportunity to harvest one.

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

I know a friend of mine has shot a few with a 22-250 but I am unsure of the type of round he used.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Do you think a 22 250 with a solid bullet would do fine? I dont own anything under 30 06 and I dont want to ruin the hide if im blessed with an opportunity to harvest one.

I have a round I use for my 22/250 with a 50gr Barnes TSX that I like to use on coyotes. IF, I don’t hit center high shoulder I get small entery and quarter/fifty-cent piece exit. When I hit bone, the hole is larget. Compared to Hornady V-Max, I had a lot more larger holes from the highly expanding/fragmenting bullets. My two favorite shots are quartered away through the lungs and out in front of the shoulder, or low neck from straight on. I haven’t had the pleasure of hunting a wolf yet, so I would be very interested in how these perform on an animal that is 90# heavier

neusch303

Spot and stalk with prey calling. Shooting a .243

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I plan on trapping mine but I will be hunting them as well. I plan to hunt them the same way as I hunt yotes. Only difference will be location. I hunt yotes in farm country. I will hunt wolves on large tracts of public land. I will set up on small beaver ponds and fresh clear cuts. Main reasons being: 1) It’s the only places I can see for a reasonable distance. 2) I noticed the last couple years the concentration of fresh tracks were along beaver ponds I was trapping and in fresh clear cuts where the deer were eating fresh cut tops. I am not sure what gun I will use. Most likely a 243 or 25-06.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

What type of area’s are you going to key on? The terran I have to hunt is very dense.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

What type of area’s are you going to key on? The terran I have to hunt is very dense.

That dense habitat is definitely the starting point. I would pull up various satellite vies to find different elevations, clearings, creeks, beaver ponds,… for finding some vantage points.

The attached image is where my father’s late uncle trapped many wolves back in the days of the bounty, and after they were re-introduced (incidentals). Interesting to learn that areas he trapped them out of back in the 20’s/30’s are the same areas that the expanding packs moved right back into after the DNR’s re-introduction. The image is deceptive in looking like a lot of open area. Most of this is swamp, tagalders, and nasty brush that makes visibility and walking a nightmare. However, looking forward to frozen ground, snow blanket, and frozen beaver ponds, one can pick out some really good vantage points for calling based on wind directions.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here is a few ground level shots from the sat. pic

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Great info, thats the kind of stuff im looking for.

The last picture is great.

neusch303

Quote:

Quote:

Open areas, swamps, clear cuts, etc.

#1. I have a spot overlooking the river where they like to run and use as a highway. Especially when it freezes.

#2. There is a choke point on a long beaver dam that separates two pieces of high ground. I may be sitting there as well.

There are a couple clear cuts that I know of that have high points looking over. I will be sitting up there high calling as well if the river doesn’t pan out. River is my #1 option as of today.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.