Chased up a tree by a coyote!!

• scottb.
    Southeast, MN

O.K. a first in my hunting career tonight. About 7 p.m. police car siren goes off, immediately multiple coyotes start howling about 50-80 yards behind me in the brush. Once they stop I give the mouse squeck with my mouth and I hear them coming in. I see one in a small hole only about 10 yards from the base of the tree staring right at me facing me. I put the pin between his eyes and release, he gives a quick growl and spin and runs off not very far and I hear nothing more.

Cool, but I need to get out quickly because my wife has plans at 8 and I need to haul to get home. I lower my bow down and start to climb down the tree and here comes another coyote and he is pissed at me!! He is barking and growling and running at the tree even though I am yelling at him and waving my arms. He continues to run off a few yards but everytime my foot touches the ground he runs back at me and I quickly climb back up a few steps! After 10 minutes of up and down I finally get my release back on and hit the ground quickly nocking another arrow and boogey back out in the open so he can see me and what I am.

Well I made it out alive but man what a rush and a first for me. I am going to head back in to retrieve my yote tomorrow and will post picks if I find him. Anyone else have anything like that before. Apparently he wasn’t happy I shot his wife, husband, brother or sister!

lick

Never had that happen

And doubt I would admit it if it did

I would have been out of arrows

LadyLuck1
    Sparta WI

That would be too scarey for me. When I hear the coyotes I can’t hurry back to camp/truck fast enough.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I would have loved to put another in him but the bow was laying on the ground and I was halfway down. Probably 3-4 times I tried to get down grab my release and bow but he came charging. Really wierd, something had the had him fired up tonight!

Its not hard to admit either, not really into hand to paw-fang combat with an angry coyote!

Atleast I got one!

coppertop
    Central MN

Yikes! Glad you lowered the population of one crazy yote. WTH?

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Coyote recovered this morning pics up later today!

john_steinhauer
    p4

i had some do the same thing last night and this morning when the sirens went off but guess i dont sound like a mouse not sure what i would of thought if that would of happen to me

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Put your knife in your teeth and get down. I’m sure you could take them in a little hand to hand combat!!

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Cool story! I’ve never seen a coyote actually come after a person. Even though they aren’t really all that big, they have some sharp teeth and aren’t affraid to use them. I’ve seen what they can do to our hounds and an unfortunate hand or two.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Pretty amazing encounter Scott! Congrats on the yote kill!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Wow Crazy. Congrats on the Yote kill!

I have had a similar run in with them once in ND, but I had a fresh doe down and the pack must of been hungry. Needless to say in the dark they ended up winning and got the doe.

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Couldn’t help but laugh a little at this. Have never had any of these expierences with them.

Had a pack a few years ago circling and testing the waters while I butted and drug out a doe. Kept telling them to just try it, but there were no takers.

Had one this year a couple of dogs were trashing out on. I cut the dogs off to catch them off it, and the darn thing ran back barking at us. Thought it was one of the funniest things I had ever seen. He sure thought he was a tough guy while I was holding the collars of the 2 trash runners. I guessing he was trying to lead them away from pups?

Wild dogs are different though. Almost 25 years ago now before cell phones. Spent the night in the treestand. As a pack of wild dogs kept me there. There were 11 in that pack lead by a big nasty looking collie. Only had 4 arrows with me. So 7 made it out of there. Thought it was strange they did not eat the dead ones, but wanted a piece of me. Eventually they left just after dawn. Waited a good hour to head for the truck, just as 2 friends were coming to find me.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Going turkey hunting one morning before light walking through the pasture and had a pack growling and snaping there jaws at me and I had just one of those penlights with me and never saw one but they sounded close (to close)

Needless to say I loaded the shotgun at that moment and wished I took the plug out before.

Just slowly keep walking but they never showed in the dark. Made me a little nervous

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve lived my entire life thinking coyotes would never threaten humans….at least not adults….but these tales have me scratching my head.

I talked to a Cabela’s employee, IL hunter, about his coyote adventures and he was telling me that in IL, wild dogs were mating with coyotes (some) and the new “coy-dogs” were very aggressive toward humans. I’m just wondering if there’s any chance this one was a half-breed or if perhaps it was rabid. In most cases, a coyote even catches a whiff of my presence and it’s 2mi away as fast as it can get there.

I know packs can add to confidence and any animal hungry enough is capapble of some pretty astounding behavior but this case of treeing a human…….sounds like there’s something wrong with the animal…. ya know? It just feels like “that dog ain’t right.”

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Coy dogs are more aggressive normally, but hard to tell them apart normally. A coy-wolf is also more aggressive by nature. Hard to ell them apart as well. Not hard to figure it out though when you are seeing 50+ lb coyotes!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.