Can you feel it?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I haven’t called coyotes in a couple years now and still love to do it.
    Anyway, this morning driving home in the snow, the memories of coyotes charging in to the call hit me like a ton of bricks.
    Who doesn’t get excited when a predator is fooled into coming to a distress call or a lonesome coyote howl?
    The woods or prairie are snow covered and eerily calm, and then a hunter lets loose an ear piercing death cry of a rabbit that was just caught in the sharp talons of a hawk. You can blow on that call with such realism that it actually fools one of the wariest canines in North America.
    Even on a stand that doesn’t produce a coyote, the sound of the calls still sends the animal world into a frenzy. If a coyote doesn’t come to investigate, you can bet deer, birds, or other animals will ta least come to investigate.
    I may just have to get back out there this year and have some fun. I still have all my calls, just not the rifle anymore.

jeff_hansen

Wats,

Saw your post and thought you might like to see these pics… I’m still after the ‘yotes and having some success. Called in 4 last week, shot 2 missed 2. I definitely have to up my shooting percentage, those buggers are hard to hit on the trot.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Very nice!! I miss calling yotes too. The big river breaks of the Missouri we such a blast to hunt. Call em in, start banging away.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Wats,

Saw your post and thought you might like to see these pics… I’m still after the ‘yotes and having some success. Called in 4 last week, shot 2 missed 2. I definitely have to up my shooting percentage, those buggers are hard to hit on the trot.

Half the people here say those are wolves!
    Nice dogs!

robby
    Quad Cities

Nice dogs!

I’ll bet half the cougars sighted are coyotes too! LOL. I miss calling coyotes and fox also. You are right, it is amazing the sorts of critters that come to investigate various calls. I had a bald eagle continually circle and then land within feet of me a few years ago. Deer, especially does can get really wound up also and perform some crazy antics. One thing I really miss is the anticipation of Wiley showing up. Watching the blue jays works their way down a ditch following wiley right into my lap. Dead give away every time!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Very nice…I got two yotes with the bow this year deer hunting and had many on the cameras…Im thinkin about going out for the first time and try callin some in to pass the time after the deer archery season ends here..one of them came out with about 2 hours light left, was very small and no hair on the tail…thought it may have had mange????not sure though.

bradg

Yes….and it sounds good to me…Hoping to get out and do some yote hunting this year with my dad…..

Wats……I would say you deserve a nice rifle from Santa in celebration of that nice raise you have coming!!!! GET OUT THERE!!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Wats……I would say you deserve a nice rifle from Santa in celebration of that nice raise you have coming!!!! GET OUT THERE!!!

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking the same thing Not sure how the wife would feel about it, but she usually gives in if I whine enough

str8shooter-That right there is what it is all about. Deep snow, cold, snow camo, and an awesome coyote in the pic

The only land I have to hunt right now would be public, but it is pretty quiet this time of year.
    With all the snow we have already and the cold temps, the coyotes should be getting hungry already

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Nice work! If it’s not snowing too hard tomorrow morning we’ll be out running them with the hounds.

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Quote:

Very nice…I got two yotes with the bow this year deer hunting and had many on the cameras…Im thinkin about going out for the first time and try callin some in to pass the time after the deer archery season ends here..one of them came out with about 2 hours light left, was very small and no hair on the tail…thought it may have had mange????not sure though.

Definately mange!!! Actually even watched a guy try to take one to the furbuyer the other day.

With my daughter on x mas break starting tommorrow. We will be hunting the critters hard the whole time. We have a lot of bad crusted snow right now. So running the dogs will be minimum unless we get some good snow. So we will be out calling them as well.

Steve

deertracker

Quote:

The other half would say that they are muleys!!
    DT

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.