Wacky weather weekend

• IceJohn

Mike,How many eyes on the pole?ICE JOHN

umichjesse
    Plymouth

A group of us headed out to ND this weekend to hunt coyotes. On Friday, it was below zero, yesterday it was 40 degrees and raining, and today there were 40 mph winds and whiteout conditions, what a variety of weather! We drive sloughs on snow shoes and push the coyotes to posters. On Friday we saw well over 20 coyotes but only ended up getting 7. The sections we were hunting were just too big to effective block in the yotes so most of them would escape escape unscathed. Yesterday we concentrated on smaller sections so we saw less yotes but got a higher percentage of them. I believe we ended up with 9 for the day. This morning we chased five up out of one slough but before we could track them down the wind hit making it impossible to hunt anymore. Driving home in the whiteout was pretty hairy at times.

Along with the yotes we saw literally thousands of deer and hundreds of pheasants and sharpies. We even jumped a cow moose out one slough.

The first pic is me with the first dog of the day on Friday when it was 5 below zero. My whites make me look like the Michelin Man! The next pic shows what a 55 grain ballistic tip does at 3900 fps. The third pic shows the pile starting to grow. After this the cold zapped my batteries.

coppertop
    Central MN

Geez, Looks like one of those really got opened up! Great way to spend the w-end. Thanks for sharing. BTW, Did anybody stumble across any sheds?

umichjesse
    Plymouth

We didn’t find any sheds but we did see lots of bucks still with antlers. There was a lot of snow out there and it was constantly blowing so the only sheds we would have found would have been very fresh.

yodeldog
    Farmville, MN

Good Shootin’…….I had a talk with the Nosler rep about them balistic tips. He said they shoot praire dogs and dont have an exit hole…I told him I find that hard to believe and also told him the same thing you have pictured there with the big hole. He couldnt explain why

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I hunted most of the day Saturday in Pope & Swift Co., MN. MAN!!,… were the guy’s with the runners busy. Every section I went to they were either already there, or just behind me. It’ pretty hard to hunt the primitve way (caller style) with that kind of pressure out there. With all their shooting,… they must’ve done very well. My score was “0”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.